Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Cutting Returning Players

by OGSS104 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Just had first practice with summer team and found out 2 returning players had been cut. One girl was probably cut to make room for a kid whose parents are friends of a organization member and didn't even have to try out. The other girl was a solid player and a supportive teammate. We had just got through with a team function and everyone was excited because all the players had decided to return to the team this summer. The team had a lot of chemistry and that was probably the main reason all the girls decided to return. The team picked up a couple of new girls to add some depth but no impact players. I definitely feel we didn't get any better. I know the coach has now lost a lot of respect from both players and parents. The cut players are now struggling to find teams as most rosters are set. Am I naive in thinking that this is not right? Is winning more important than showing loyalty to your players?
OGSS104

by noncrazynorcal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:42 pm

OGSS104 wrote:Just had first practice with summer team and found out 2 returning players had been cut. One girl was probably cut to make room for a kid whose parents are friends of a organization member and didn't even have to try out. The other girl was a solid player and a supportive teammate. We had just got through with a team function and everyone was excited because all the players had decided to return to the team this summer. The team had a lot of chemistry and that was probably the main reason all the girls decided to return. The team picked up a couple of new girls to add some depth but no impact players. I definitely feel we didn't get any better. I know the coach has now lost a lot of respect from both players and parents. The cut players are now struggling to find teams as most rosters are set. Am I naive in thinking that this is not right? Is winning more important than showing loyalty to your players?

Depends on the age level. For a younger team loyalty is a strong motivator. For older teams 14u and higher, winning counts more.
noncrazynorcal

by JimineyCricket » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Winning shouldn't count more - getting better should count more. Winning only matters because it lets you play longer against better teams on Sundays, which helps you get better. Getting better puts you in a position to get noticed and remembered by college coaches. If your DD has her head on right, being around better players should help her improve her game, from pushing herself and being pushed by her teammates. Winning is a means to an end, not an end to itself.

When your DD is 17, no one that matters is going to ask about her team's winning percentage - they're going to ask about her grades, her attitude/motivation, her coachability, and her skills. In that order.
JimineyCricket

by Sftball Junkie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:28 am

OGSS104 wrote:Just had first practice with summer team and found out 2 returning players had been cut. One girl was probably cut to make room for a kid whose parents are friends of a organization member and didn't even have to try out. The other girl was a solid player and a supportive teammate.

From someone who has been around the game awhile I find it hard to believe a coach would cut 2 solid players for no reason other than just because or to make room for a friend of the Org. Assuming by the comment Summer team this is a second year 14u - 18G team. With the amount of players most of those teams carry adding a player is nothing. The friend could have been added with out a cut and nobody would have thought anything. I would be willing to bet if you knew the truth behind everything, had both sides of the story and you were the coach you probably would have cut the 2 players as well. Like I said good players don't get cut just because.

OGSS104 wrote: The team had a lot of chemistry and that was probably the main reason all the girls decided to return. The team picked up a couple of new girls to add some depth but no impact players. I definitely feel we didn't get any better.

I have never understood why people freak out when they lose one or two players. The roster probably has 14 or more on it. Even if it was the best 2 on the team they can't bat in all 9 spots at the same time nor can they play all 9 fielding positions at the same time. It's a team sport I am sure the impact is far less than you feel.

OGSS104 wrote: I know the coach has now lost a lot of respect from both players and parents.

Here is a new idea , start a new trend... Support your coach instead of jumping on the wagon and talking shit behind his or her back with the other parents. Try being the one who steps up and says oh well I am sure the coach had a reason and move on.

OGSS104 wrote:The cut players are now struggling to find teams as most rosters are set. Am I naive in thinking that this is not right? Is winning more important than showing loyalty to your players?

If these players are truly solid supportive players finding a home will be easy. Teams can always find room to add one. If you don't think the new players are better or are impact players how would this be about winning. Why do you think the coach was not loyal? Ever think maybe these players did something to show they were not being loyal to the coach
Sftball Junkie

by Iluvblue » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 am

I have a Principal that has a job to do. I dont always agree with her decisions, but it is her decision to make. I worry about my class room, everything else outside my door is pretty much her call.

When I want to start complaining about her decisions, I need to get off my arse and get an administrative credential.... which i dont ever see myself doing.

So, let the coach do his job. Like someone else stated, you probably dont know EVERYTHING behind the scenes, and nor should you.

Whether he should or should not do this is not our call, it is his call. all coaches need to do what they feel is best for THEIR team.
Iluvblue

by ICMTM » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:45 am

To the OP:

You are one supportive parent. My kid was cut from her 1st team she played on. I didn't get an email, Christmas card, an "aww she'll get 'em next time." I got crickets. The craziest part was my kid was one of the better players. I learned a few things from this:

1. If you're that confident in these kids they probably will land on their feet somewhere else. The coach did them a favor by letting them go. Being told you don't belong is rough, but in retrospect it worked out 10x better for us!

2. If you can't support the coach or don't think he's doing things to your satisfaction leave! It's not worth your own stress level. Fit is everything. Coaches have their depth charts and are going to put kids where they see fit.

In our case the coach didn't invite us back but told the parents we declined invitation. It actually caused friction between her friends. Until one of the parents asked "why did you guys leave us" we were like black sheep. I actually had to forward the email to the parent before she would believe me. If the kids can play they will end up somewhere. Relax.
ICMTM

by Extrainnings » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:58 am

We are sorta in this situation and my DD is a good player and loyal but since it's so late after tryouts all the teams that are well, I'll say it ... Good (even kinda good) already have a full roster actually I noticed those teams kept their roster from fall,all their adds said "top notch pitcher or middle infielder"(of course) she has to keep her skills up not sure what's the best thing in our case,what's the point of joining a team as the 15th player and pay not to play and can u imagin how the parents would feel about adding yet another player
Extrainnings
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ICMTM » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 pm

If it were my kid, especially if it were in the younger ages, I'd find the best team that plays the most aggressive schedule and go from there. Being #15 on team X is worse than being #3 on team Y. If you get to play all the team X's when you're on team Y enough you can put together some street cred for the next tryouts, or team Y may grow and you stay there. Who you play for is big because it facilitates who you play against, but some times those bubble teams play the big dogs a lot.
ICMTM

by OGSS104 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Never had any intention of stirring up any sh*t on the team. In fact this was probably the best group of kids and parents we've been associated with, which makes losing these 2 girls all the more difficult. I was just wondering if this is a rare occurrence or if it happens all the time?
OGSS104

by Iluvblue » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:47 pm

It happens quite often, and as you get older, more and more. Travel teams must look to get better, and if you only lost 2 players, that is pretty good.
Iluvblue

Return to NorCal