Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Gettysburg Address

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by as the world turns » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:56 pm

jonriv wrote:
PDad wrote:
as the world turns wrote:Regardless, UCLA, Cal, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly are great schools, depending on the major.

Schools should be evaluated more for your intended major than where they rank as a whole.

We've seen schools with limited majors (e.g. business, STEM) rank high because they aren't weighed down by majors that generally lower scores. Some/many of them don't rank nearly as high when you do an apples-to-apples ranking for a major because many large schools that ranked lower as a whole are very strong in some majors.

Which majors lower scores(Kinesiology????)

Hey bud!, It's now ekersise science - the new STEM
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by PDad » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:50 pm

jonriv wrote:Which majors lower scores(Kinesiology????)

You're familiar with PayScale site - http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/bachelors?page=22. It ranks Kinesiology 265 and Exercise Science 286 out of 319 based on Mid-Career Pay.

Early Childhood Education and variations are ranked last. Religious/ministry majors are also ranked near the bottom, however pay is not the primary motivation for them.

There are numerous Communications degrees listed and they range from 91 to 260.

Various Humanities and Social Science degrees tend to rank low. I was surprised to see Philosophy ranked #75 with $85k (someone tell Marco Rubio...).

One problem with rankings is they don't accurately reflect relative differences. For example, Petroleum Engineering is ranked #1 with $168k and #2 is Nuclear Eng with $121k. Most of the other differences are only a 100-300 dollars. The spreads are largest in the first and fourth quartile:
01-80: $84.4k - 168k
81-160: $70.8 - 84.1
161-240: $61.0 - 70,7
242-319: $30.3 - 60.8

I think PayScale's numbers are somewhat misleading by not aggregating same/similar majors and including people that have earned more advanced degrees.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:11 pm

jonriv

by Cannonball » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:14 pm

I had hoped that this might be a thread to discuss Lincoln or the battle. What a shame it turned into an argument about who's school is better, etc.

My classes will start on the Civil War in a week. It is one of those things I look so forward to as a teacher. To be sure, Lincoln will be covered extensively as will the Battle of Gettysburg. Lee changed his strategy from a defensive war to offense. Longstreet disagreed but was loyal. Each day was so traumatic and for both sides. I love the movie Gettysburg and will show clips from it. It is so well done. However, with all of the excellent quotes used in the movie, I wish that they would have added one from Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain. When his lines looked like they might break on the second day, Chamberlain said, "Stand firm you men from Maine. For only once in a century are men asked to do what I am asking you to do today." Just after that came his famous order for bayonets.

On the third day was Pickett's Charge. If you've seen the movie, a Confederate Soldier is singing a song that upsets Lowell Armistead and he makes comments how that song was sung prior to all of the soldiers in California going home to their state for the war. That account is actually from Almira Hancock's Diary. After the song, Armistead gives Longstreet a Bible to give to Almira Hancock that had a message in it. There are all kinds of stories about what is written in the Bible. I've read that he apologizes for attacking her husband and his best friend Hancock. I've read that a Masonic Distress Code is in the Bible. In other words, the stories can get pretty bizarre. Longstreet delivered that Bible and it has not been seen since. No one knows exactly what was written on the inside of the Bible.

Finally, the resolve and bravery of the Confederate Soldier who participated in Pickett's Charge can not be overlooked. In one diary found on a dead Confederate Soldier, the soldier wrote that he saw a rabbit running behind the lines. He wrote, "Run ole hare. If I were an ole hare I'd run too. The page is then blank until the bottom of the page where the Confederate Soldier wrote. "But I'm not." He then marched up that mile long slope and died.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by jonriv » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Chamberlain was a professor from Bowdoin college( current nescac school). He later became president of the college and gov of Maine. Walking little round top at Gettysburg really shows ho amazing the whole thing was. When I was in college, my ROTC unit took a trip to Gettysburg to perform a TEWT tactical excercise without troops I tiling actual orders and maps from the battle

Btw. Bowdoin is a real good school
jonriv

by Cannonball » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:09 pm

Don't lose sight of the fact that Chamberlain was one of the first recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor!
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by as the world turns » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:44 am

( current nescac school)

SMH :lol: What does that have to do with Lincoln?
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by jonriv » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:32 pm

as the world turns wrote:
( current nescac school)

SMH :lol: What does that have to do with Lincoln?

Chamberlain=Bowdoin=NESCAC

Just making it relevant :D
jonriv

by Tyler Durden » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:35 pm

JR I see New Canaan is playing Darien in Stamford for the HS FCIAC title. I'll put 20 bucks on Darien.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:35 am

Tyler Durden wrote:JR I see New Canaan is playing Darien in Stamford for the HS FCIAC title. I'll put 20 bucks on Darien.

Those are fighting words :D
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub