Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Umps, teachers and congressmen

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by Skarp » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:57 pm

softballaddict2 wrote:You blew it Skarp, but then again, you’ve gone on a warped tangent with your postings lately. Have you stopped your medication for obsessive-compulsive behavior or taken to drinking?

I'm always off on a warped tangent. That's nothing new. And the drinking probably does contribute.

That said, this has got to be the new front-runner for most ironic thread in heybucket history (and believe me, that's saying something). I comment that umps and teachers think they are above criticism, and what happens...umps, teachers (and allies) go absolutely nuts because they think that I'm criticizing umps and teachers. Talk about proving my point.

For the record (and for the sake of the illiterate), I didn't criticize anyone, other than to say that both of those professions have actively cultivated an air of martyrdom--the notion that they are populated by self-sacrificing souls who are somehow special, acting solely for the greater good, and who are thus above criticism. Well that's horse pucky. Teachers as a group are no more saintly than anyone else.

So I invite you to belly up to the bar next to me. But fair warning...they don't serve Koolaide where I drink.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by anonlooker » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:33 pm

Hey, that pic reminds me of my favorite wadetress!
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by MTR » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:39 am

skahtboi wrote:Teachers are constantly criticized, by students, administration, the media, the state government, the national government (especially the clueless like Dubya),the districts that they serve...etc.

And how many of those folks are actually qualified to make such criticisms? Hell, even many of the administrators' priorities are focused outside the classroom..
MTR

by uno tres » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:17 am

And to uno tres: Regarding the situation that occurred with your child’s teacher. Your child’s teacher should have spoken with you to see what you can both do together to help your child. If your child was raising her hand daily because she doesn’t understand the math being taught, what did you do to help when she told you? Or did you discover this when you received her progress report because you’re too busy to ask how her school day went, or to check in with her teacher to see her progress throughout the year? Did you even discuss this with the teacher? Perhaps your child has a learning disability that requires some additional help. Your child’s teacher has 35+ other students to teach and doesn’t have the luxury one-on-one time with only yours. Then my child suffers because he/she’s having to wait to progress to the next level. What if your workgroup at your place of employment had a member who repeatedly did incorrect work and messed up assignments you were responsible for? Even after repeated refresher sessions to correct the problem, he/she continued to mess up assignments. Eventually that member would be fired. You can’t do that with our students. Does this make things a little easier to understand? Our teachers don’t work in ideal situations with ideal students, but we expect perfection for a pittance.[/quote]

All good questions but let me remind you...my daughter is only 6yrs old and in our school district there are only 20 students to a classroom until 4th grade..20/1 ratio isn't too bad at all. No matter what the situation is or was, the teacher handled it wrong by intimidating a 6yr old to the point where she was scared to ask questions from that point on and would rather hide out in a bathroom. As far as what we did..we paid for my daughter to go to a private program after school (not affiliated with our school district) and they had no problem getting back to grade level. A little patience and a smile helped a lot in only a couple of months. By the way, her teacher wasn't some close to retirement, cranky old b*tch that has been teaching for 40 years...she was in her late 20's and has 2 small kids of her own.
.."now go get your F'n shine box!!!"...
uno tres

by Bleacher Creature » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:46 am

As cjs50 states, teachers have to work for 6 months for free while doing their student teaching About 50 hours a week.

And then they never have to work but Nine months out of the year for the rest of their lives. (Unless they want to work in the summer) with 2 weeks at dare I say …. Christmas break.
Here they have a hell of a retirement plan.
Everything is a trade off.
So in a nut shell. Don’t like it?
Take that degree and hit the real world!
Welcome
"If you aint first your last"
Bleacher Creature
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NavinR » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Since I am an expert in the subject of teachers..my brother was a teacher, my sister was a teacher, both my mom and dad were teachers and their parents were teachers and two uncles were teachers (sorry, I have seen My Cousin Vinny way too many times), I can say without hesitation that a rise ball does indeed rise.
"Don't Whine, Don't Complain, Don't Make Excuses"
John Wooden
NavinR

by Skarp » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:51 pm

MTR wrote:
skahtboi wrote:Teachers are constantly criticized, by students, administration, the media, the state government, the national government (especially the clueless like Dubya),the districts that they serve...etc.

And how many of those folks are actually qualified to make such criticisms? Hell, even many of the administrators' priorities are focused outside the classroom..

Clearly none of them are. :lol:

Keep going...you guys are doing great.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by chloe601 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:40 pm

Skarp... like a blood merchant at a shark feeding frenzy... oh what oh what have you started?
chloe601

by Skarp » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:22 pm

Spazsdad wrote:I'll drink with you anytime Skarp!

Just say where and when bro! I think I'll go this route though:

Or maybe this one:

And one or two Clintons for good measure:

...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:29 pm

chloe601 wrote:Skarp... like a blood merchant at a shark feeding frenzy... oh what oh what have you started?

Ummm...a fuzzy thinking contest? A lose-your-noodle extravaganza? A menagerie of mindlessness? A.....Hey!..Is this a trick question :?: :?:
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub