Alvin
Lufkin
Keller Timbercreek
Pearland
Dripping Springs
Magnolia West
Rockwall Heath
Rockwall

Obviously a Houston dominated field which shows in the top 9. Other teams doing well in consolation brackets included Keller (5-1 with a second round loss to Santa Fe), Pasadena Memorial, Tomball, SA MacArthur, Belton and Montgomery.
Opposite Field

by Lace » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Wonder why more of the DFW teams do not attend and compete in BCS tournament ?
Lace

by texassmallball » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 am

Lace wrote:Wonder why more of the DFW teams do not attend and compete in BCS tournament ?

$ first and foremost

Secondly, most DFW high school coaches don't really want to compete. They are interested in win's and padding the stats.
texassmallball

by Opposite Field » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:10 pm

How are teams looking in your area of the state as district games are starting up?

Certainly hard to tell when you sometimes just see scores and you don't know who was pitching or getting rested that game but I'll take a stab at the Houston area. Feel free to chime in with your own observations.

6A
Kingwood will be there at the end, need to score more runs but in most games they don't need many.
Brazoswood is now one of my early favorites. Great start with a tough early schedule.
Katy has won most of their big games with a tough early schedule.
Deer Park - Saw them play a couple times. Very strong hitting throughout the lineup. If pitching is healthy come playoff time, they will be tough. Had a tough defensive game when I saw them.
Pearland - Tough schedule and so-so results but still working through all the lost seniors. I'm sure they will be there when it counts.
FB Ridge Point - Sometimes forget they moved up. Seems very strong again with some very good wins.
Not sure who will come out of 24-6A. A lot of really good teams. Dickinson may be for real. Curious to see how district games go.

5A
Santa Fe seems like the team to beat in region 3. Offense looks better than in years past.
Barbers Hill will be right there with Santa Fe as well. Off to usual great start.
Angleton has had a tough schedule but has competed pretty well against it.
Foster is off to a 20-1 start. Not the toughest schedule but have played well against top 6A teams too. They as well as Angleton could go far but will have to deal with Dripping Springs and Gregory-Portland in region IV.

4A
I saw Sweeny and Needville play last weekend. Seem pretty similar. Sweeny slightly better pitching and Needville slightly better bats. I imagine they will meet up again late in playoffs of region IV.
Opposite Field

by orange socks » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:06 am

Opposite Field wrote:How are teams looking in your area of the state as district games are starting up?

Certainly hard to tell when you sometimes just see scores and you don't know who was pitching or getting rested that game but I'll take a stab at the Houston area. Feel free to chime in with your own observations.

6A
Kingwood will be there at the end, need to score more runs but in most games they don't need many.
Brazoswood is now one of my early favorites. Great start with a tough early schedule.
Katy has won most of their big games with a tough early schedule.
Deer Park - Saw them play a couple times. Very strong hitting throughout the lineup. If pitching is healthy come playoff time, they will be tough. Had a tough defensive game when I saw them.
Pearland - Tough schedule and so-so results but still working through all the lost seniors. I'm sure they will be there when it counts.
FB Ridge Point - Sometimes forget they moved up. Seems very strong again with some very good wins.
Not sure who will come out of 24-6A. A lot of really good teams. Dickinson may be for real. Curious to see how district games go.

5A
Santa Fe seems like the team to beat in region 3. Offense looks better than in years past.
Barbers Hill will be right there with Santa Fe as well. Off to usual great start.
Angleton has had a tough schedule but has competed pretty well against it.
Foster is off to a 20-1 start. Not the toughest schedule but have played well against top 6A teams too. They as well as Angleton could go far but will have to deal with Dripping Springs and Gregory-Portland in region IV.

4A
I saw Sweeny and Needville play last weekend. Seem pretty similar. Sweeny slightly better pitching and Needville slightly better bats. I imagine they will meet up again late in playoffs of region IV.

Nice stab at it. I think the schools that you mention seem to be the same schools that you hear about year after year. How about some teams that might do some bracket bustin' come playoffs? That might be a little more interesting conversation. Don't ya think? Allow me to throw out some secondary teams that I think should be included in the conversation. Of course this is not perfect, but it's fun to prognosticate.

6A: Cy Ranch, Klein Collins, Memorial, Clear Springs, Alvin, The Woodlands, Bellaire, Atascocita...
5A: The whole 20-5A is tough, Kingwood Park, Crosby,...

I think this is a good start.
orange socks

by Opposite Field » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 am

Agree with all your points Orange Socks. I was focused on who I think had a pretty good chance to go to state but that certainly takes a lot of very good teams out of the conversation. I left Atascocita off my original list and they probably should have been on it. I like Memorial and Alvin's squads a lot. Clear Springs is a team that did well in BCS and always seems to have a lot of talent but they are struggling in a very good district right now. They could easily make a run in the playoffs if they can make it in. Wonder if the Woodlands can bounce back from last year's unfortunate situation?

20-5A always seems to be tough. Dayton a couple years ago and now Crosby to go along with BH and KP.

George Ranch is playing 6A for the first time and doing pretty well. Dobie has some talent and will be a tough out in the playoffs too. I don't know much about the Cypress and Klein schools.
Opposite Field

by Lace » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am

I watched my first HS SB game of the year last week. Nothing has changed. Bad softball, bad coaching and some pretty bad players. And this was the top two teams in one of the best districts in the state! But it is still fun to go watch some of the kids I know play. for their school.
Lace

by eightballk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:22 am

Just curious. Do TX HS players "go dark" (i.e. no travel ball until HS competitions are complete) as they do in some other states?

Thx
eightballk

by orange socks » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:47 pm

eightballk wrote:Just curious. Do TX HS players "go dark" (i.e. no travel ball until HS competitions are complete) as they do in some other states?

Thx

Yes for the most part. I have seen 9th grader JV players playing with their 14U teams sporadically. Some TB teams have practices on the weekends. Our team will start having position specific practices in April that does not involve anything that would get a player hurt. HS comes first.
orange socks

by Lone Staarr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Question...

Do parents complain to high school coaches on overuse of their daughter's in the circle just as they do in travel ball for insufficient time in the circle or sometimes too much, too many games in the circle?
Lone Staarr

PreviousNext

Return to TX