Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Private vs Public

by softballfan33 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:06 pm

I am looking for an opinion on whether having DD play for a private school where the competition is not as good, will hurt her in the long run, vs moving her to a public school where the competition is top notch but the academics may or may not be where I would want them.

DD was initially home schooled and then moved to private. We did this because she was always ahead of her "grade", even in private school. This is a kid who was working algebra 1 in 5th grade and reading 8th grade or higher literature at the same time. We opted not to let her skip a year in school due to maturity and social/peer relations, but the private school we were at allowed her to work ahead which kept her challenged.

Now we are on the verge of walking into high school. She plays for a strong 14U teams that routinely has played up for several years and won. They will hit the major showcases (already approved). Her private school does have a softball team, but honestly, she would have started in any position she chose as a 6th grader because the team is just honestly not very good. Our local public school has a history of making it deep into the playoff and winning state championships, so for competition purposes, that would be the right move. But I am concerned she would be bored out of her mind, academically. Will lack of competition in high school hurt her in the long run or will she be okay? We are talking pitchers throwing 45-50 at best and with less than a 50% strike rate. Game scores are usually like - 25-19, 19-11, etc. Will this make it impossible for her to make the transition back to the higher level of softball?

Can anyone with any experience in this matter help me? Do I leave her where she is and let her just be the "stud" on a crappy team so she is challenged academically, or should I move her and just let her have a "blow" though her high school courses. As a reference, I suspect she will play small D1 or D3.
softballfan33

by DonnieS » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Its not that unusual if your kid has played aggressive travel ball to be ahead of the high school team - that wouldn't bother anyone in the recruiting world - that's really the realm of the travel ball team and coaches. My kids enjoyed high school for playing with kids they grew up and was worth it.

From how you describe your DD, the academics should be the emphasis - but also make sure that she has a high school experience, as you know, it gets real right afterwards. And as you know, since we are blessed with girl athletes, the college softball players - are not going any where sportswise afterwards - to put it mildly. I say that after reading today's local newspaper and reading about a boy at a local high school - who I know he was on the team, don't think he was a starter - certainly didn't get the attention that my dds did playing softball - and this guy is in the pros.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by thebigshow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Things to consider.

If she's as smart as you say she will more than likely get a ride academically to college. And college coaches love that because they can use the athletic money on another athlete with less academic monies ( scholarships ). She's not going to get athletic $$ at D3 anyway.

She's a freshman? By the time her senior year rolls around she might say "to heck with softball".

She's going to get more exposure from travel ball than high school ball.

Now, if your only move to public schools is for softball then you really need to rethink your situation. That IS NOT a good motive. You really want to risk a higher education ( private ) for 3 months a year of softball that no one will care about after graduation?
thebigshow

by jonriv » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:34 am

Her softball "credentials" for any college will be based on her travel ball(not HS). Her grades and academic strengths will com from the school. Great grades from a great school will be worth much more to a college than how good the HS Softball team is.
jonriv

by fastpitchforever » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:52 am

I wouldn't change schools for the sake of softball. If you can afford the cost, stay with the academics and softball will take care of itself. Besides, there are plenty of examples of private school players are recognized for their ability even with the subpar competition in TAPPS relative to 4A/5A.
fastpitchforever
Premium Member
Premium Member

by catcherdad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:54 pm

I am going to go against the grain here. Our oldest went to a private school and our youngest went to a 5A public school. Both softball programs were rated in the state and the private one even finished higher in TAPPs playoffs. (FYI: The public school team beat the private school team in a head to head preseason game 15-0.)

The private school had a couple of very good players who I expected to receive small school d1 interest. The best they could do is D3 and these players chose not to play college softball. They went to better academic schools or cheaper schools such as Texas and A & M. These players did play select and did go to Colorado and some nationals before 18U. The select teams were not able to make gold.

The public school team has produced close to a dozen college players at the D1 level in a 4 year period. These players play when they get there and many of them had very good scholarships or admission to elite academic schools that play D1 ball. Our college coach constantly kept up with how my dd was doing in high school ball. She called the coach and emailed my daughter. Other teams wanted updated stats. They knew when we were playing the Woodlands and these schools are from out of state.

So, you will find some college teams will look at a private school player. You better play for Impact Gold or a comparable team. But coaches want a player who has played tough opponents. They want a player who travels to the big high school tourneys and still can make good grades. So I think it is much better to be at a public school, particularly one with a coach with connections to college teams.
catcherdad

by frito_burrito » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:20 pm

if anybody on here can say that the high school coach had that much recruiting influence on a college coach then you are in the minority. play on the best select team with the best connections and get the best education from private school.
THIS ES FRITO BURRITO AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
frito_burrito
Premium Member
Premium Member

by freetacos » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 pm

wow frito...chus englash is mucho bettero.

ft
freetacos

by DonnieS » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:49 am

catcherdad wrote: So I think it is much better to be at a public school, particularly one with a coach with connections to college teams.

cd, I don't think anyone would argue with the rest of your statement - but when you say "it is much better to ...." - looking at a kid's whole life - not just the 4 years after high school - my question would be - much better for what? That job 3-4 years out, will almost for sure not care how you batted against Rickets - but will care about what you majored in and what your grades are. Its a balancing act, no doubt about it , its just important to maintain your perspective, and that's coming from one who struggled at remembering why she was there.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by frito_burrito » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:00 am

freetacos wrote:wow frito...chus englash is mucho bettero.

ft

orale. i es jus copy y pasted frum de espanol to englich dictionary :ugeek:
THIS ES FRITO BURRITO AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
frito_burrito
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to TX