Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Texas High School 5A Softball

by DP3816 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:30 pm

txfastptchcoach wrote:Okay I got sucked into this one!!!!
My perspective and it don't mean S#!&.

Woodlands:
Pitching got knocked around against good hitting teams last year but should be better. Has good lower classmen to step in but will be hard to replace what they lost. You have to have 2 pitcher's once playoffs start it's vidal if ACE has bad day.

Pearland:
Should be STOUT!!!! Team full of alot of D1 recruits. Pitching should be GOOD but they need a #2 to go with #1 if she has bad day. A good fielding team will give this team fits because coach plays SMALL ball unless her 2 big hitters are at the plate. Better be able to play defense and pitch to beat them. REALLY good crop of Freshmen coming in. Should be good for years to come.

Alvin:
Good pitching but LOST alot of pieces to the puzzle. Coaching cost them a STATE title last year. I was at the game the lost to Deer Park and they WAY to much Traffic on the bases to only score one run. Depends on what girls decide to play for her to see what kind of team she will have.

Klein Collins:
Good pitching but LOST alot of POP to graduation, but still should be in contention. They have alot of lower classmen talent. Don't sleep on them. I see kids playing there normal positions this upcoming year.

Deer Park:
Defending State Champs and only lost one starting player out of lineup. This team will send out 8 D1 recruits in starting lineup with 2 or 3 really good incoming Freshmen along with stout Sophmore/Junior class. They have a returning established GOOD pitcher that pitched even innings with Davenport last year along with the playoffs. Ask Pearland she shut them down in first game and came in saved 2 game along with getting the win against Alvin. This team needs the freshman pitcher or Sophmore pitch to establish themselves as #2. This team can flat out rake along with being able to play small ball. Plenty of speed to go along with power.

Angelton:
GOOD pitching and only lost a couple of player's. Don't sleep on them because they always find away to plug another kid into a spot and make a run at the playoffs. TON of speed on this team and play REALLY good defense.

Okay you sucked me in so know lets hear everyone's opinion. I've commented on teams that I've had kids that played for me. I make a point to watch each of them as much as possible.

Great breakdown of the local contenders! What about the X factor (Coaches) ?
DP3816

by txfastptchcoach » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Great breakdown of the local contenders! What about the X factor (Coaches) ?

I'm going to leave this one alone!!! It ALL depends on what parents on what teams are dedicated to get there kids prepared outside of High school that makes these High school teams as good as they are. Teams that can pitch, field and hit are not reflections of the High school coaches, but they definitely benefit from it. Just saying!!!
txfastptchcoach

by DP3816 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:46 pm

txfastptchcoach wrote:Great breakdown of the local contenders! What about the X factor (Coaches) ?

I'm going to leave this one alone!!! It ALL depends on what parents on what teams are dedicated to get there kids prepared outside of High school that makes these High school teams as good as they are. Teams that can pitch, field and hit are not reflections of the High school coaches, but they definitely benefit from it. Just saying!!!

I agree it's what happens away from school that mkes a kid a good player or not. Every good player for the most part has dediated parents behind them. But to totally dismiss high school coaches is wroing. Some teams absolutely love their coaches and play really hard from them. That's what I'm talking about. The X Factor. The coach from the last select team my kids played for had a coaching style that was pretty much "Do better or I'll find someone who will". The kids on that team gave up on him.

Bottom line: Some coaches can get their kids to perform, in some cases even above their abilities. And more than likely kids playing HS ball actually learn a few things along the way. JMHO
Last edited by DP3816 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP3816

by Lace » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:05 am

What about Central and North Texas?
Lace

by slaphitter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:45 am

DP3816 wrote:
txfastptchcoach wrote:Great breakdown of the local contenders! What about the X factor (Coaches) ?

I agree it's what happens away from school that mkes a kid a good player or not. Every good player for the most part has dediated parents behind them. But to totally dismiss high school coaches is wroing. Some teams absolutely love their coaches and play really hard from them. That's what I'm talking about. The X Factor. The coach from the last select team my kids played for had a coaching style that was pretty much "Do better or I'll find someone who will". The kids on that team gave up on him.

Bottom line: Some coaches can get their kids to perform, in some cases even above their abilities. And more than likely kids playing HS ball actually learn a few things along the way. JMHO

Totally agree about the impact a Coach has on a team. The best teams (on paper) do not always win. Coaches make decisions before and during games, that can, and usually does affect the outcome games and eventually the results of an entire season. A Coach, as stated above, can get a 150% out of a team and the team will rise above everything to play hard for some Coaches. The reverse side is some really good players because of the style of the Coach, they have, will just go thru the motions and give just what they have to, to get by.
slaphitter

by slaphitter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:13 pm

bigbaddude wrote:
slaphitter wrote:The reverse side is some really good players because of the style of the Coach, they have, will just go thru the motions and give just what they have to, to get by.

Hmmmm, I wonder which school or schools he is implying?

No particular schools or teams implied. Just observations I"ve had thru the years watching both High School and Travel Ball teams.
Some coaches have the ability to get alot out of the talent available and some do not.
I am sure you have seen the same in your experiences with the game.
slaphitter

by 93players » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 pm

In 5A, Houston and Dallas area teams have an advantage in the run for State as the coaches and kids know each other. The scouting is better. The weaknesses are exposed. Many out of big market teams, Centex - Stony Pt, RR, and San Antonio teams run one pitcher all year. They NEVER develop depth and in a 3 game series, those teams are DONE. You need two pitchers to win those games. When the route to STATE was south, the Centex and Smithson Valley had a chance. When it goes east and north, they have no chance.
93players

by Grasshopper » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:42 am

Interesting...Very Interesting. Can't wait to see.
Grasshopper

by softballdaddi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:28 am

93players wrote:In 5A, Houston and Dallas area teams have an advantage in the run for State as the coaches and kids know each other. The scouting is better. The weaknesses are exposed. Many out of big market teams, Centex - Stony Pt, RR, and San Antonio teams run one pitcher all year. They NEVER develop depth and in a 3 game series, those teams are DONE. You need two pitchers to win those games. When the route to STATE was south, the Centex and Smithson Valley had a chance. When it goes east and north, they have no chance.

I disagree with the two pitcher statement. Teams play 3 games max or 2 out 3, but sometimes it is a one game winner take all..... Also, please clarify your statement "route to STATE was south, the Centex and Smithson Valley had a chance. When it goes east and north, they have no chance" What do you mean?
softballdaddi

by lefty04 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 am

TxFastptchcoach always has some very good analyst of the teams and is usually accurate in his overview. Later, after the season gets underway, I would like to hear from him again on predictions on who he feels will win it all, in State.
Alot of speculation on how each team will respond and whether they have the player pool to fill some of the voids left from non-returning players (for whatever reasons). I feel it is to early to tell if any of the teams have an edge, except Pearland, who appears to be the team to beat this season.
lefty04

PreviousNext

Return to TX