Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Dual Credit...

by PDad » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Battle wrote:
MavFan wrote:Battle on a side note, when sending your final transcripts to the ultimate school of choice, make sure your high school sends both the weighted and the unweighted GPAs. It is my understanding that NCAA Clearinghouse just uses raw data and unweighted GPA, since it is simply for eligibility. Where class rank and other awards are based on the weighted GPA. So as I said, most schools will calculate on both unweighted and weighted GPA, just a heads up to make sure the high school sends the weighted GPA on the transcipts to the university of choice, it can effect academic awards.

Have you ever talked to the colleges about the transfer of credits from AP and DC classes? I talked to some last week and they told me that while the credits may transfer, they will not count toward that particular class. It will only count as an elective. But you should still take the classes because it shows that the student is really serious about college and prepares them better versus regular curriculum. Is that the way you understand it?

Is the AP exam part of your AP class? People that pass the AP exam usually get credit for that class (e.g. 1st year Calculus, Chem, Physics, etc.).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:21 pm

PDad wrote:Is the AP exam part of your AP class? People that pass the AP exam usually get credit for that class (e.g. 1st year Calculus, Chem, Physics, etc.).

Yes but from what I understand, it's up to the college of choice as to whether they accept it or not. They want you to take their Calculus, Chem, Physics, etc. It might just be isolated to the ones I talked to. That's why I'm asking here to see if anyone else has had this discussion with colleges. Also, it might just be isolated to dual credit classes but AP classes were included in the response they gave.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by MavFan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Battle wrote:
PDad wrote:Is the AP exam part of your AP class? People that pass the AP exam usually get credit for that class (e.g. 1st year Calculus, Chem, Physics, etc.).

Yes but from what I understand, it's up to the college of choice as to whether they accept it or not. They want you to take their Calculus, Chem, Physics, etc. It might just be isolated to the ones I talked to. That's why I'm asking here to see if anyone else has had this discussion with colleges. Also, it might just be isolated to dual credit classes but AP classes were included in the response they gave.

My DD attends a private school, the only AP credits that transfered were the ones she got 4 or higher on. Some schools accept 3s, but it completely depends on the school. She got a 4 on Statistics and those credits transfered but since she is a PT major, they went in as elective credits, where the Chem and Physics counted toward her degree.
MavFan

by hit4power » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:37 am

Yes but from what I understand, it's up to the college of choice as to whether they accept it or not

This is correct. DD received no credit from her college for any AP exams regardless of score. I think generally that the more academically rigorous schools are less accepting of AP classes/exams than other schools may be. My understanding on DC is that it is looked at the same as transferring classes/credits from another college as though the student had actually been enrolled there. My first kid had DC classes in chemistry and physics which would have counted had he gone to an in-state college. Since he went out of state, that school didn't recognize the credits as they were from the local community college.

Either way, I think both my kids benefited in the admissions process by having taken the more challenging classes and both would say they were better prepared for college workloads than kids that didn't load up on AP classes in HS.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to TX