Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Bombers Shootout Tournament

by softballdaddi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:02 pm

justawatcher wrote:
softballdaddi wrote:That is too bad.... Would like to see more Texas teams in those age brackets. Understand the cost factor is probably a big driver and the qualification factor too. Forget ASA..... Consider this, most west coast teams try to qualify PGF, ASA, TCS, USSSA and then others, in that order. The season is usually a bust if a team doesn't make PGF.

It's certainly not for a lack of trying. I think PGF had qualifiers in every age group in Texas the last 2 years that did not even make (with the exception of the HS division). Many of the ones that did make, it only took a win to qualify. I like the slimmer numbers and the inclusion of already popular tournaments. It makes sense for a lot of reasons. It's not just at the younger age groups either. Only 3 16U teams and 6 18U teams from Texas attended PGF last year.

That is a shame. PGF last year was the bomb.... HB Cali vs South Dakota no contest...
softballdaddi

by centexfastpitch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Cost is a factor but so is not knowing that college coaches don't consider USFA much competition when the girls give them a profile in a few years. Also most young teams do not find Tennessee or Moline Illinois great locations to go to so VTD or USFA are attractive options to them. A few more 12's and 14's will try and qualify for PGF this year and those that are serious realize what PGF is and what it is doing to ASA. My DD team is trying to qualify for PGF and we have seem the CA talent at ASA nationals and know we need to head in that direction to challenge our girls. That being said I think at the younger levels the TX teams will compete well with the better CA teams and some comments on this thread are based on prior years and older teams historical accomplishments. It is no secret that the CA teams have been stronger in the past and probably are still stronger overall.
centexfastpitch

by softballdaddi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:23 pm

centexfastpitch wrote:Cost is a factor but so is not knowing that college coaches don't consider USFA much competition when the girls give them a profile in a few years. Also most young teams do not find Tennessee or Moline Illinois great locations to go to so VTD or USFA are attractive options to them. A few more 12's and 14's will try and qualify for PGF this year and those that are serious realize what PGF is and what it is doing to ASA. My DD team is trying to qualify for PGF and we have seem the CA talent at ASA nationals and know we need to head in that direction to challenge our girls. That being said I think at the younger levels the TX teams will compete well with the better CA teams and some comments on this thread are based on prior years and older teams historical accomplishments. It is no secret that the CA teams have been stronger in the past and probably are still stronger overall.

Like the post. Good Luck to your team. Where will they try to qualify? Austin (1)Houston(1) or Dallas(2). From what I have seen in the past, Dallas is where you want to go to qualify. Few teams sign up. You take the risk since it is so late in the season to try and qualify. Bumbers is March, Houston is May? Dallas in July and June?

I think the only thing that ASA has going is the HOF in OK, would you agree?
softballdaddi

by Battle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:54 pm

softballdaddi wrote:
justawatcher wrote:
softballdaddi wrote:That is too bad.... Would like to see more Texas teams in those age brackets. Understand the cost factor is probably a big driver and the qualification factor too. Forget ASA..... Consider this, most west coast teams try to qualify PGF, ASA, TCS, USSSA and then others, in that order. The season is usually a bust if a team doesn't make PGF.

It's certainly not for a lack of trying. I think PGF had qualifiers in every age group in Texas the last 2 years that did not even make (with the exception of the HS division). Many of the ones that did make, it only took a win to qualify. I like the slimmer numbers and the inclusion of already popular tournaments. It makes sense for a lot of reasons. It's not just at the younger age groups either. Only 3 16U teams and 6 18U teams from Texas attended PGF last year.

That is a shame. PGF last year was the bomb.... HB Cali vs South Dakota no contest...

Playing in one place every year vs playing in a different place every year is also a no contest. No matter where it is. ASA is not for everyone. Only the ones that can hang.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by freetacos » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Variety is the spice of life they say...

man if I say anything more my wife is gonna kill me..

ft
freetacos

by DonnieS » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:45 pm

freetacos wrote:Variety is the spice of life they say...

man if I say anything more my wife is gonna kill me..

ft

ft, my wife doesn't even know what heybucket is - other than I get a t-shirt from them every couple of years.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballdaddi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Battle wrote:
softballdaddi wrote:
justawatcher wrote:

Playing in one place every year vs playing in a different place every year is also a no contest. No matter where it is. ASA is not for everyone. Only the ones that can hang.
I disagree. IMO the pecking order goes PGF then those exotic ASA sites. Not saying ASA is a bad tourney just not the Premier tournament :D
softballdaddi

by centexfastpitch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:04 pm

softballdaddi wrote:
centexfastpitch wrote:Cost is a factor but so is not knowing that college coaches don't consider USFA much competition when the girls give them a profile in a few years. Also most young teams do not find Tennessee or Moline Illinois great locations to go to so VTD or USFA are attractive options to them. A few more 12's and 14's will try and qualify for PGF this year and those that are serious realize what PGF is and what it is doing to ASA. My DD team is trying to qualify for PGF and we have seem the CA talent at ASA nationals and know we need to head in that direction to challenge our girls. That being said I think at the younger levels the TX teams will compete well with the better CA teams and some comments on this thread are based on prior years and older teams historical accomplishments. It is no secret that the CA teams have been stronger in the past and probably are still stronger overall.

Like the post. Good Luck to your team. Where will they try to qualify? Austin (1)Houston(1) or Dallas(2). From what I have seen in the past, Dallas is where you want to go to qualify. Few teams sign up. You take the risk since it is so late in the season to try and qualify. Bumbers is March, Houston is May? Dallas in July and June?

I think the only thing that ASA has going is the HOF in OK, would you agree?

Will hit Bomber Shootout and Dallas. It is possible that some in places 1-3 will not be wanting to go to CA. Would guess that it goes to next in line??

Did not see Houston posted yet but would also try there if not qualified. 12U Dallas is May. Last year I believe the 12U in Dallas had 2 signed up and one was a AZ team.

HOF is also on the list and still has appeal.
centexfastpitch

by yes dear » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:09 am

Through a blind draw, teams will be placed into brackets. The blind draw will be streamed live via the Internet currently scheduled to be held on Feb. 27th at 7:00pm. More details to come on the draw.

Never saw more details. Went online last night and couldn't find the webcast. Did the draw happen?
yes dear

by pbj2000 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:57 am

your coach was emailed...there was a date/time change with when the draw happens
Peanut Butter and Jelly baby
pbj2000

PreviousNext

Return to TX