Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Ronald McDonald 18U Gold

by JLTexas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:00 am

So because i run the tournament I am vilified for placing top teams on the main fields? It happens EVERYWHERE you go. Colorado, California, Dallas, Chicago, Florida, New Jersey, Canada Cup.....Why is it different here?
JLTexas

by MavFan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:12 am

For the people that are complaing about RM, it has been done that way for years and years. If you don't like the way it is done then you should have gone to the Diamond 9 event at Disney. It is the same weekend this year. If you have ever been to the Rising Stars, GC Hurricanes ran the event and they always played their games on the fields right by the concession stand at Bamford either field 6 or 7 I think. That is the perk you get for running the event.

But you, as an organization, need to weigh the benefits of playing elsewhere or dealing with what you have. Is the exposure on field 6 at Collins good enough for your team or would you be better served spending the money to go to Florida? Does the fact that Impact plays all their games on Field 1 justify my team spending the $$$ to go to Florida? There are plenty of options out there.
MavFan

by soreshins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:20 am

Folks--there is a real simple solution to this problem. If you don't like the way Ronald McDonald is run don't play in the tournament. If you don't like your field assignments go put together your own tournament and play on your main fields. If your team is good enough coaches will attend.
But therein lies the rub, your team is not good enough to draw coaches so you have to ride the coattails of those who are and then bitch when you don't get to play on the main fields.

JL and some others have put alot into this tournament for many years. The college coaches come to Ronald McDonald because is serves their needs. But no one is making you participate.
soreshins

by Vess Express » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:58 am

There has been a trend at some of the smaller schools in Texas lately, of teams going to play at a particular college, on their field. It is usually put on by a local travel team.

The college coach or asst. is pretty much always on hand, as it is very easy and low cost for them to be there and check out possible recruits. The fees are low, and you play on one field - no running all over town. You normally play just 2 or 3 games, so your team is in and out, without any overnight costs. Of course, you could also let any coach know you are playing, and they could come watch you play in a little less hectic atmosphere, relative to the huge showcases. It's also nice for the player, because they can check out the school and the local area, to see if it's a fit for them.

Although I agree that a lot of the showcases are simply moneymakers, for all of the reasons mentioned, I also agree that if you gripe too much, you should try and do something about it. You can try to ride the "good" team's coat tails, or spend thousands of dollars to pay your dues in the hope that you are one day rewarded, or you can try something else. Something that works for you.
Vess Express

by SOFTBALLS » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:04 am

I have to agree with JL. How can teams that NEVER qualify for a Gold Nationals ever expect to be on a main field. Pay your dues and show your team is Top Field worthy. Believe it or not their is a corporate ladder to climb in the softball world also.
SOFTBALLS

by rodehardputawaywet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:07 am

In total agreement with JL.
rodehardputawaywet

by SOFTBALLS » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:26 am

I was not talking about the fields, I was talking about spreading some of that great competition around so that some of the UACFBNT could play them.

Name your team and I will give you at least 10 reasons you cant play those teams yet.
SOFTBALLS

by Vess Express » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:49 am

JLTexas wrote:It is really quite simple, we just try and run a quality tournament and try and be fair. There are plenty of college coaches that go everywhere. Last year, there were more coaches that checked in at Dyess than checked in at Collins. We try to be fair to teams, it does not always work out. I truly beleive that this tournament is needed in this area.
JL

IMO, the most important thing that a college showcase can do, is list the college coaches/asst. who have come in the past, and who are scheduled to come the current year. All I would ask for my entry fee, would be to have a reasonable amount of the scheduled coaches show up in a general area, so that it would not be difficult for them to come to where my team was playing. Everything else would be up to the individual player/parent. It is not the TD's job to guarantee everyone gets looked at by multiple coaches, but for some reason, a lot of people take it that way.
Vess Express

by TexasYellowBall » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:50 am

JLTexas wrote:It is really quite simple, we just try and run a quality tournament and try and be fair. There are plenty of college coaches that go everywhere. Last year, there were more coaches that checked in at Dyess than checked in at Collins. We try to be fair to teams, it does not always work out. I truly beleive that this tournament is needed in this area.
JL

If Dyess is better and has more coaches, then why not take the IG to those fields.

You truly believe it because you truly make a fortune off of it. Make the profits public, lets see how much is going to the RMD house. Lets see how much you make and how needed it in in this area.
TexasYellowBall

by Phantomz08 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:09 pm

rodehardputawaywet wrote:In total agreement with JL.

Me too!! ;)
If it ain't broke, why fix it??
Phantomz08
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to TX