Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Top 12u's in 2012??

by MaddHatter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Now that the older teams have left 12u, Heybucket has went silent. Who are the favorites? Any newcomers?
MaddHatter

by taking2 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:34 pm

North Texas, South Texas or Central Texas?
taking2

by Foul-ball » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Let's go with south or Houston area I think the north 12u have a thread already
Let's split them 2000's & 99's
Foul-ball

by Softball Papa » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:06 am

Central Texas has the best teams hands down. All you have to do is look at the tournaments in the past year that features the best '99s from all 3 regions.
Softball Papa

by CULater » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:24 am

One of the "best" 12U teams in Houston was handled by lesser teams this past weekend. These 11 and 12 year olds won't be playing at a consistent level for a couple of more years. Each and every week is an adventure. At this age coaches will play different lineups, kids in different positions, especially in your average weekend tournament. When the qualifiers take place, the top teams usually rise up and earn their berth to nationals.
CULater

by Ingrmalies » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:57 pm

CULater wrote:One of the "best" 12U teams in Houston was handled by lesser teams this past weekend. These 11 and 12 year olds won't be playing at a consistent level for a couple of more years. Each and every week is an adventure. At this age coaches will play different lineups, kids in different positions, especially in your average weekend tournament. When the qualifiers take place, the top teams usually rise up and earn their berth to nationals.

A good preview took place May 31st at the 2012 Dallas ASA Preview Invitational. It looks like the NTX teams had a better showing then the STX, Cnetral Tx and OK teams.

Tx Elite-Esparza sent home Tulsa Elite99 and Texas Peppers99.
Tx Shock 2000 sent home Austin Storm 12u
Tx Glory Red 99 sent home OK Sox
American Freedom (Hodo) sent home Sudden Impact99 and Houston Power(Hooker).

American Freedom (Hodo) and Tx Glory Red (both NTX teams) fought it out for the Championship as American Freedom (Hodo) won.

It seems the NTX teams might be doing ok.
Ingrmalies

by CULater » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:12 pm

It wasn't a guage at all, it was just a weekend tournament in Dallas. How many teams were in the event, how many were from North Texas as compared to everywhere else. I am sure if a handful of North Texas teams came down to Houston, some of them would be sent home by South Texas teams. Again it doesn't mean much until May and June when the qualifiers take place. Until then they are just round robins and exhibition games with a trophy.
CULater

by Ingrmalies » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:59 am

CULater wrote:It wasn't a guage at all, it was just a weekend tournament in Dallas. [b]How many teams were in the event, how many were from North Texas as compared to everywhere else[/b]. I am sure if a handful of North Texas teams came down to Houston, some of them would be sent home by South Texas teams. Again it doesn't mean much until May and June when the qualifiers take place. Until then they are just round robins and exhibition games with a trophy.

Ok I am a little confused by your post, but that being said, i agree with some of it and disagree with some of it also.
Lets see if i can answer some of your questions and clear up the confusion for you.

I disagree with you when you say "it wasn't a gauge at all, it was just a weekend tournament in Dallas". Well i think all tournaments, friendlies and exhibiton games no matter their location allow teams to gauge where they are in terms of the other teams that they play. This helps prepare teams for those covented May and June qualifiers you refer to.

To answer your question about how many teams and where they are from. There were 20 teams in the "tournament", 14 form NTX, 2 form OK and 4 from STX. This is a very similar team list for the Region 7 Hall of Fame on May 18th in Houston. There are 24 teams, 6 NTX teams and 18 STX teams.
I agree with you here, there will be some NTX teams sent home by some STX teams and vice versa. But lets talk about that when the time is right.
I would have to disagree with you about these games just being considered round robins and exhibition games with trophies. These teams travel a long way just to consider these games that way, and i doubt most these team are concerned with the trophies.
Ingrmalies

by CULater » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 am

You misunderstand my point about the exhibitions and round robins with trophies, I dont think anyone cares about the trophies themselves. It is just that most good coaches will use the games in the spring especially March and April, prior to the qualifiers, to see how they can better their team. They will play strong competition while playing kids in multiple positions, also they will make coaching decisions differently etc. to see how kids step up or fold. But if you are playing to have your team peak in March, then you will be in a world of hurt come July.
CULater

by cjdad » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:19 pm

My tops are as follows, no particular order for south and central TX.....

Houston Power
Texas Bombers99
Austin Stars99

Maybe someone needs to put out a VOTE
cjdad

Next

Return to TX