Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

FL

Fall 2009

by Wooahhhh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:18 am

Anything interesting happening in Florida's Fall 2009 softball season?

ISA States is about to start this weekend in Polk County. An early date for their state tournament this year. Probably a good idea to help weed out their competition. Lots of teams in it, or are there? I had heard that 10 to 13 team names weren't playing that were on the list. Who knows, some say it's an issue of teams entering and dropping out, I believe the other issue is padding the quality and quanity of teams that are tentatively scheduled to play to entice others to sign-up. Now would an association's CEO do that? What about Cocoa Beach and the ISA World Series last year? I will probably have to curiously check the list of names that were touted to appear vs. the actual schedules that come out tonight.

Florida ASA (a new concept) is hosting the ASA Fall State Championships in Titusville at Chain of Lakes Park Dec 5th and 6th. NSA's championship is the next weekend in Polk county. Chain of Lakes is a great complex.

Also interesting is the Florida Gulf Coast College thread on the college softball website http://www.ultimatecollegesoftball.com It's located under the College Softball discussion board. It's an eye-opening thread for those that may be trying to provide an opportunity for their DD in college softball. It's all about the "verbal offer" between a college coach and a student-athlete prior to National Letter of Intent (NLI) signing day. 5 pages (so far) of good reading.

Finally, the 2011 ASA National Championship softball tournament sites have been set. And I wouldn't go to Midland, Texas in August if my life depended on it. (unless the mgr. says we're going, of course). I've been to Charlotte/Rock Hill SC and Chattanooga for (other association's) nationals, both relatively close by and had a great time at both.

Thoughts on any of that?
Wooahhhh

by greenandblue » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:36 pm

In reference to the thread on UCS about FGCU, it is currently based on hearsay and rumors and is one-sided at this time. I would hope that the average "parent" (with a future college athlete offspring) reading this would not put a lot of stock on anything that they read on the internet. But that would be wishful thinking.
kmaca
greenandblue

by Wooahhhh » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:32 pm

thanks greenandblue. any time anonymous names are used, one-sided stories can be written. I'd guess you must be close to the FGCU situation so you would know.

I also need to apologize for the above entry insinuating about the number of teams in the ISA tourney. 115 teams played this weekend, so the number wasn't padded. my bad. congrats to the winners. I understand they had some great games and a hotly contested check swing in the 14u division.
Wooahhhh

by greenandblue » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:39 am

No, I'm not close to the situation other than the fact that it's in our state. I just was rehashing in my mind the last 14 years of my DD's and 18 years of my DS's competitive sports years, and memories of rumors and supposed reputations. Stories that we heard that snowballed into travesties that ended up not being true. I'm just hoping that parents who will soon be dealing with the college recruiting process do so with knowledge that they got somewhere other than message boards on the internet.
kmaca
greenandblue

by Wooahhhh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:07 am

Just to close out the thread. A great weekend of ball at the NSA Fall State Championships. Looks like a lot of new faces stepped up and played well. Are we seeing a little parity?

The new year looks interesting. And it starts immediately, doesn't it? No rest for the weary.

The latest: I've heard the 1 1/2 day tournaments out of the new ISA director is to allow the rec ballers to play on Saturdays, is this a true statement? That's a good step for increasing rec ball type play in the Tampa area. If that's your goal. I like two day tournaments and finding the very best competition even if you have to travel. I'm glad we're staying with two day tournaments in Central Florida and the rest of the state. Happy holidays, ya'll!
Wooahhhh

Return to FL