Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

TOP 12U TEAMS 2009

by ILIVE4SFTBALL » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:12 pm

Forgive my ignorance, my daughter is moving out of Rec/All Stars into travel this Winter. We live in Southern California and have heard a lot of horror stories of bad coaches, nasty parents and other issues. Trying to save some headaches in advance, any advise on which 12U teams offer the best opportunity for a talented, hard-working kid? Which tryouts should we attend and what are some warning signs to watch out for at a tryout that might indicate the coach(es) might not be in it for all the kids? Thanks for any info....
ILIVE4SFTBALL

by SDSoftballMom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:39 pm

what county do you live in? with the cost of gas being what it is and being your 1st year in you might want to stay close to home. i know my 1st year in was a shock, 1st week out I saw 11 year olds making phenomenal plays, hitting over the fence home runs....jaw dropping stuff....I was more than impressed.

Let me be the 1st to say what you will surely hear over and over "Welcome to TravelBall" If you don't get the humor in it you will and i'm sure lot's of others on "The Bucket" are cracking up at reading this right now. :mrgreen:
SDSoftballMom

by ILIVE4SFTBALL » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:31 pm

We live in North Orange County. We've watched games on the weekends, mostly the older girls but also some of the 12's and we are very impressed with their skill level. That's why we've decided to make the move, but to find a team and a coach where she will improve.. I'd hate to choose the wrong team and have her confidence crushed, that's what I'm hoping some of you out there could offer some advise on teams/groups to maybe avoid or better yet, recommend...

She'll obviously have to adjust and step up her game and she's ready to do that and she wants to compete at that higher level. She's taking hitting lessons now, what are some thoughts on fielding programs, who offers the best in our general area or are they any good at all?
ILIVE4SFTBALL

by DunninLA » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:40 pm

Unless your daughter is phenomenal, you will want to stay away from the teams that finished in the top half of the 10U or 12U Nationals (nor WESTERN nationals, but national nationals.) Those types of mature organizations tend to only need 4-5 new players each year, and they usually already know who they are.

If she is really really good, you probably want a solid organization that went to Western Nationals this year, if you want to go ASA. Or have a look at the teams that finished middle/lower end of the pack at States that are near to you.

You also can try to see if any of the rec All-Star teams from your area have decided to take the core of the team and go Travel.

If you want to do travel-lite, find teams in your area that compete NSA or USSSA.

After your first year, you won't need much help knowing where your DD fits in the landscape, and which teams she generally fits in with.

Lastly, there are a LOT of really talented girls that don't go travel until 2nd year 12U, or 1st year 14U, especially if they are in very strong rec leagues like Huntington Beach, Bonita Valley, Placentia/Yorba Linda, La Mirada, Northridge, etc. Unless you DD has scholarship potential (1/100 rec players), or is frustrated any day she is not playing, i.e. wants to be playing *every* day, there is no rush to go travel.
DunninLA

by DunninLA » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:46 pm

P.S. the term "North Orange County" took on new meaning when Naudin of AA used the term a couple of times when he was on the show Trading Spouses.
DunninLA

by Team SMASH » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:04 am

What position(s) does your daughter play? Are you looking for a 12U team?
What is your goal for her? Do you want her to get better or play every game?
Team SMASH

Return to CA