Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

NOR CAL GOLD TEAMS

by homieboy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 am

I think you people are getting way ahead of yourselves with this talk of Top 5 or even Top 10. You might want to just focus on qualifying. That in itself is no walk in the park.

And holy smokes. To say that Cal's leading hitter, a kid who hit .324 playing in the toughest conference in the country, would not be able to crack the Sorcerer line up is an absolute joke. Ditto for Fluery. I don't like the idea of bringing the college kids back, but if they choose to and she is interested, she's your shortstop.
homieboy

by norcaldad » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:17 am

Hey MIH maybe you should change your name to
MIHFS
My Intense Hatred For Sorcerer
gabba, gabba hey
norcaldad

by DHBHitting » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:43 am

I think you people are getting way ahead of yourselves with this talk of Top 5 or even Top 10. You might want to just focus on qualifying. That in itself is no walk in the park.

Response: Oh I agree NorCalDad, just to qualify is an accomplishment and that first must be done, no doubt about that. And just to clarify I was not saying I believe these teams will finish in the top ten, I believe I mentioned that I hoped they could. I'm a big time Nor Cal softball supporter and I know that our talent level has grown and our teams/clubs are stronger. We can do it, it can be done, Sting showed us last year that Nor Cal can go down to Oklahoma and win some games. So while qualifying is the first and foremost task, I believe we have some clubs this year that could make some serious noise at Nationals if they can get there of course. Now if that noise equates to top ten or top 5 only time will tell, but it can be done, the Sting showed us that.

And holy smokes. To say that Cal's leading hitter, a kid who hit .324 playing in the toughest conference in the country, would not be able to crack the Sorcerer line up is an absolute joke.

Response: I believe you are mistaken NorCalDad I do not believe that anyone said that Cal's leading hitter which was Arioto could not crack the Sorcerer starting line up, quite the contrary I believe what was said is that she will be a welcomed and much needed addition to the middle of that order. Arioto absolutely will be in that order and will be a major part of that teams success, she was a huge pick up for them, again I do not believe anybody said anything about Val not being able to crack the Sorcerer line up, at least I know I have never said anything like that.

Ditto for Fluery. I don't like the idea of bringing the college kids back, but if they choose to and she is interested, she's your shortstop

Response: Now here is where you can get some debate, I do not believe Fluery is any better than what Mumma has currently. No disrespect to Fluery who is a wonderful player and had a heck of a freshman campaign hitting .295 as a freshman in the big east, great job Fluery. However are you saying that she can out hit Wallace? She may get the nod defensively; I will give you that, but offensively? Fluery can hit, no doubt, you dont hit .295 at the D-1 level and not be able to hit, but will she bring you much more than Wallace will give you? I dont know about that one, she could, she has the talent, but Wallace can flat hit, for power at that. Wallace will be a premier hitter in the PAC-10 when she gets there, and will definitely be a big addition to CAL's offense, she needs work defensively with her hands and her throwing, but her bat is undeniable. Now can Fluery, replace Decker? I mean she could, no doubt, but hey Decker has verballed to CAL as a sophomore for a reason, the kid can flat play. Now Fluery brings you experience, and can help with her bat for sure, but in a line up that already features allot of big bats you need somebody who can focus on getting on in front of them. Bringing Fluery back who is a hitter, and does not sport a terribly high on base percentage is not really what you want to do as you need people on in front of those big bats if they are going to drive them in. Fluery's on base percentage was .415 this past year, decent but clearly not her thing, she is a hitter, she drives runs in, the Sorcerer need girls who will get on base. This is where I would give Decker the nod, she is one heck of a #2 hitter behind Allard, and her on base percentage even when she gets to CAL, will be her asset to a team just as it will be for the Sorcerer. Now having said that, Fluery might be playing short stop this weekend, hell I don’t know, but lets not act like it is a no brainer that if she wants to come back it is a done deal. Look Fluery is a great player in her own right, however I believe that the Sorcerer are adequate in the infield and with their offense without her, just my opinion of course.

As for the comment about the Robbins kid, yes, I thought the comment about Sanoe not being able to either out hit or out defense Robbins was a bit much, being that Sanoe just started nearly every game and hit .295 or something like that in the toughest conference in the country for a top 20 program thank you very much, but hey everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Sanoe is a tremendous player, and I have to believe if she wanted to come play for Sorcerer Mumma would have to seriously consider working her in to the mix somewhere. She brings a huge bat to any line up, and contrary to what has been written on this board is a fairly decent defensive ball player, no it is not her specialty and I know she is working on it, but she can play, you don’t start for CAL as a freshman and hit .295 and not be able to play. Now is Robbins better, hell I don’t know, not going there, will say this, Robbins has verballed to CAL as a sophomore in her own right. Look both kids can play, they are both CAL girls, lets leave it at that. I will say this, if Sanoe wanted to come play, I can’t see Mumma saying No, I tell you that.
DHBHitting

by sorcererfan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:06 am

Wow MIH. Sounds like you hate Robben, his kid and the Sorcerer. I am not her dad, however my daughter has played for him for years. No crack to date.

Anyway, my thoughts were an overall line up and in no way discrediting the college players. Also, I thought Val lead off for Cal. Not Sanoe, Sanoe is a great player and I agree Phil would have said yes if she wanted to come and play.

My point is: do you pick up college players just to pick up college players. Picking up Val was HUGE. Great pitcher, hitter and fielder. She can also mentor all the young kids coming to Cal in the next few years. Fluery if she does come back may or may not be the shortstop. She is a great defender. Wallace can change the game with one swing of the bat. You might see Wallace playing third anyway.

Decker can play both infield and outfield very well. I do stick by what I said DECKER DOES HAVE A BETTER BAT THAN FLUERY. Se is also faster. Robben can play first and is a mid-level outfielder at best. The best part of Robben’s game is her bat. Allard has a great bat and maybe one of the top leadoff hitters in the game.

So, do you bring back additional college players who may be a little better or do you stick with the young kids you have? I just don’t think adding Fluery and Sanoe would make the team that much better. Adding Val did make the team better.
sorcererfan

by DHBHitting » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:56 am

NO, I do not believe you bring college players back for the sake of bringing college players back. Most top GOLD programs have future D-1 starters and or contributors in their line ups. Like I have said before the Sting's starting 9 are all going to big time D-1 programs and will more than likely play and contribute at the next level so why replace them with someone who is marginally better or not better at all?

So you only bring a college kid back if the pick up clearly makes your team better as is the case with Chinny coming back to pitch for the Shockers. That dramatically makes them better so that is a pick up worth making, kudos to the Shockers.

College players only help you if they are clearly better than what you currently have, and they only help you qualify if they are clearly better than what the other guy has. If they are not you run the risk of quite possibly not qualifying, or qualifying and getting your butts kicked, either way you end up losing your young talent/ future players all for nothing.
DHBHitting

by wadeintothem » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Well one things for sure, the sorcerers of this week are not the sorcerers of a few weeks ago. And val was throwing... Her stuff looks better than ever. Thats a good team. Stanford let me get hit pretty good, darn near broke my finger.. but I'll give her a pass on that one.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DHBHitting » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:01 pm

Was out at Louis all weekend, and while that was not the Batbusters or Marty's Corona Angels out there they where playing they where indeed very impressive none the less.

I thought Regpala would give em a game, or the So-Cal team but they hammerred everyone they played this weekend. That line up is scary, it just does not stop coming at you with weapons, and with Arioto added to it that middle is flat legit on any level agaisnt anybody. Mumma batted 9 a couple of times this weekend and it seemed like Allard was on deck everytime I turned around. Two words sums up that offense, speed and power.

The pitching was impressive as well, all 4 girls looked good. Was particularly impressed with Moore(Oregon), I did not know she threw that hard. All this talk about this kid or that kid throwing upper 60's, which was a complete joke by the way from what I seen this weekend, Moore is legit mid 60's(43ft). Arioto was lights out as well, now I did not expect those teams to hit her but what I was looking at was her command, she hit her spots extremely well and got the ball up there in hurry with very little effort.

Now, having said that we will see how they do next weekend in Vegas. Also just as a little FYI, the Sting handled the Sorcerer pretty good a couple of weeks ago, and the Sting got mercy ruled this weekend by the Batbusters and that was with the big lefty on the mound from what I heard. Now the Batbusters are crazy strong as usual but I heard that Gary's college girls where not even playing, these where his young kids, so the Sorcerer still has some work to do to get into qualifying form.

Good luck.
DHBHitting

by gas1254 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:00 pm

sting-perales was playing with sting-fano on saturday because they were missing almost half their team due to graduation. Keilani(the big lefty) did pitch against batbuster but only for about 3 innings. I think she only gave up one hit (which from my view was a foul ball) but sting made a lot of errors.She gave up about 3 or 4 runs which were all most likely unearned. Sting-fano's pitchers came in and got bombed. One girl on batbusters had two homeruns and the second homer didn't drop until it hit about 275 feet! Sting did not have a good outing with the two teams combined on Saturday but Sting-perales did some-what better Sunday by themselves.
gas1254

by DHBHitting » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:35 am

Thanks for the update, I wish I could have checked that game out.

Sting will be just fine, that is a very good team and I'm sure Perales will sure up those errors and that wont be happening when it counts. Tough to play when your missing people and mix matching teams, I totally expect them to be dialed in for Lancaster.
DHBHitting

by MIH » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:51 am

Hey DHB I watched the sorcerers all day saturday. They played a little more fired up than what I saw last weekend. They looked good. Arioto does help them out quite a bit. Coaches were a little bit more calmer this weekend than usuall. I would say they could use a little more power. Kekehena would be the final link. I will still stick to them needing pitching. Arioto who is helping Mumma for qualifiers but will not play in OKC.

[quoteAs for the comment about the Robbins kid, yes, I thought the comment about Sanoe not being able to either out hit or out defense Robbins was a bit much, being that Sanoe just started nearly every game and hit .295 or something like that in the toughest conference in the country for a top 20 program thank you very much, but hey everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Sanoe is a tremendous player, and I have to believe if she wanted to come play for Sorcerer Mumma would have to seriously consider working her in to the mix somewhere. She brings a huge bat to any line up, and contrary to what has been written on this board is a fairly decent defensive ball player, no it is not her specialty and I know she is working on it, but she can play, you don’t start for CAL as a freshman and hit .295 and not be able to play. Now is Robbins better, hell I don’t know, not going there, will say this, Robbins has verballed to CAL as a sophomore in her own right. Look both kids can play, they are both CAL girls, lets leave it at that. I will say this, if Sanoe wanted to come play, I can’t see Mumma saying No, I tell you that.
][/quote]

Kekehena led Cal all season in hitting until the playoffs dropped her avg to .299 but was still one of the top HR and RBI players on the team. Robben kid now can not duplicate those numbers of a 19 yo ...
JUst because Decker and Robben comitted as sophomores to Cal does not carry them much weight as being a better ball player than other kids across the country. Look at Gascione. She was the first sophomore last year to verbal in the country ..is she the best pitcher now?
MIH

PreviousNext

Return to CA