Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

NOR CAL GOLD TEAMS

by maxedout007 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:50 pm

Got a look at some of the nor cal gold teams and i honestly was not impressed at all. Strike Zone has really gone down especially with pitching. Nor Cal Shockers is not the same team and lacks just a little bit of everything. The two teams who were above average were of course Socerers and Sting who happened to be kicking the snot out of every team...but that was it. I know it is the beginning of the summer but I call only one of those two teams actually making it to nationals this year.
Sting did beat Sorcerers(5-1?) but it did not look like Sorcerers' best lineup out there. I know I know it is the beginning of the summer but Nor Cal has A LOT of work to do if they want to compete in qualifiers.
maxedout007

by wadeintothem » Wed May 28, 2008 4:12 pm

The only team you mentioned that had a respectable finish last year was Sting... and Big Lefty will take them far again. I would agree they were the main stand out this weekend.

I'm not sure why eying Strike Zone or Shockers (who was using a Florida St ? pitcher this w/e btw) does any good. Neither club is a National power house. Sorcerers have some work to do to keep up with their reputation, but frankly, they did nothing at Nationals last year. I did not get to see the grapettes (I think they were mostly at Arnaiz)

I am back at Louis with the 18G's for the Grapes friendly, so maybe this weekend.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DBLUE » Wed May 28, 2008 9:32 pm

This is an umpire stating who he thinks is the best out there? Please , you must not have seen too much softball except for your field there pal. There were quite a few teams that played good ball last weekend. Sting, Sorcerers stood out yes! Strikkers, and the USA Elite team did quite well also. Strikkers lost to Sorcerers 3-1(should of been 2-1) thanks to a blown call from one of your partners, but besides those teams, it was a little rough. Say hello to the college kids for the Strikezone, and Shockers though, because if not, it will be a long Summer for the both of them!
DBLUE

by wadeintothem » Wed May 28, 2008 9:38 pm

DBLUE wrote:This is an umpire stating who he thinks is the best out there? Please , you must not have seen too much softball except for your field there pal. There were quite a few teams that played good ball last weekend. Sting, Sorcerers stood out yes! Strikkers, and the USA Elite team did quite well also. Strikkers lost to Sorcerers 3-1(should of been 2-1) thanks to a blown call from one of your partners, but besides those teams, it was a little rough. Say hello to the college kids for the Strikezone, and Shockers though, because if not, it will be a long Summer for the both of them!

The only ball I really saw was my fields. I worked 16 games @ Louis.. mostly the same teams moving through the fields until Monday when I lobbied to have the umpires on the fields switched up and it worked, umps got moved. I did not go watch games on my off games.. I got other things to do... like eat BBQ or ANYTHING but go watch a game.

As to last years 18G results... those are posted and speak loud and clear.

As to strikkers losing because of a blown call..normally, a fairly lame complaint.. but when you have open subs and could literally bat your best batter over and over and sub her out for your best runner over and over (sorcerers pete was good at this) ... it is now REALLY a lame complaint. Sad actually. But hey, it seems strikkers are already working on the excuses... and if all that fails, hell, there is always an umpire out there to blame.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DBLUE » Wed May 28, 2008 10:28 pm

First of all, don't focus in on the Strikkers. I was making them out to be an example of teams that played well, and comparing them with the Sting, sorcerers game. Not part of them just stating they played well. As for the umpiring, sounds like it might have been you out there making that call. Anyways, we always blame the umpires, excuses for our daughters not playing well.
DBLUE

by wadeintothem » Thu May 29, 2008 5:31 am

DBLUE wrote:First of all, don't focus in on the Strikkers. I was making them out to be an example of teams that played well, and comparing them with the Sting, sorcerers game. Not part of them just stating they played well. As for the umpiring, sounds like it might have been you out there making that call. Anyways, we always blame the umpires, excuses for our daughters not playing well.

Couldnt have been me, I've never made a bad call in my life. (I guess I better knock on wood).

... Oh yeah, I didnt work a game with Phils team. Only Petes. Dont remember if I worked a strikker game or not.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DHBHitting » Thu May 29, 2008 7:59 am

Sting did beat Sorcerers(5-1?) but it did not look like Sorcerers' best lineup out there.

Response: Well, it was definitely not their best line up as the Allard kid was not playing, regardless both teams showed what they could do and what too expect from them. Will be a heck of a match up when they meet again.

I know I know it is the beginning of the summer but Nor Cal has A LOT of work to do if they want to compete in qualifiers.

Response: I think Nor Cal will qualify 4 teams this year for Nationals, and while yes I believe they do need work it is early and that is exactly what they are getting in, is work. I expect the usual cast of characters to give qualifying a good shot; definitely have to wait to see how things shake out as we all know how the college kids can change things dramatically.
DHBHitting

by Flash » Thu May 29, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm guessing only 2, maybe 3 NorCal Gold teams will qualify for nationals.
Allard was hit in the head with a line drive in a high school playoff game. She got back up, finished pitching the game and won in an unbelievable performance. She was held out of the next playoff game and that may have been why she didn't play in the Sorcerer vs. Sting game.
The recruiting drive to upgrade Gold rosters has begun. Sorcerer Pete was out at the 16U games last weekend looking for more players.
Flash

by maxedout007 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:01 pm

I was just looking at the Shockers roster and they sure are getting help from college. I'm not sure about the Florida State pitcher, it might have been Jacksonville State. And all Stanford's Ashley Chinn is on the roster. So Shockers can defineatly be in the running to qualify for nationals.
Do you think that Sorcerer's hitting will be able to carry them to nationals? because I saw all three pitchers get hit pretty hard so scoring alot of runs will have to carry them to success.
maxedout007

by wadeintothem » Thu May 29, 2008 5:33 pm

maxedout007 wrote:I was just looking at the Shockers roster and they sure are getting help from college. I'm not sure about the Florida State pitcher, it might have been Jacksonville State. And all Stanford's Ashley Chinn is on the roster. So Shockers can defineatly be in the running to qualify for nationals.
Do you think that Sorcerer's hitting will be able to carry them to nationals? because I saw all three pitchers get hit pretty hard so scoring alot of runs will have to carry them to success.

It could have been jacksonville, the coach just mentioned to me some florida team stating "she was pitching on ESPN last weekend" or some such comment. I remember it as Florida St.. but I was probably at about 14 games worked at that time.. so who knows, at least I'm within the right side of the country.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to CA