Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

So Cal top 96's

by Clean_up » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:40 pm

fungodude wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
fungodude wrote:All kinds of doubt about CA 96.

Then I guess you haven't seen how they have been playing over the last couple of months.

For the record, I think the CA '97 team is kick ass. And obviously the '95 team won state and is a favorite in Alabama. But the '96 team is not "without a doubt" one of the top 2 '96 teams in socal. There are other teams on that list (and some that aren't, like the Firecrackers) that are stronger contenders.

That said, we won't really know what's what until next year.

What makes the Firecrackers or other '96 teams "stronger" contenders? Their name? Their tournament wins? What? Considering most of the so-called "96" teams will have to re-tool their teams after their '95 players move up, and who knows how many players will be lost after Summer... For some reason, the CA'96 team just doesn't get respect, even though they played an awesome 2-run game at State against OC Impact their FIRST GAME, took 3rd in a 14U tournament just a few weeks back and won the Tracy qualifyer two weeks ago, and earned a ligit berth to Alabama and they continue to play stronger each week -- too many people keep saying the team is breaking up, they are going to be desimated, lose players or whatever other rumors are out there (started by disgrunted old players' parents I am sure), when in fact it is just the opposite - they are BUILDING a team and will have open tryouts (in mid/late August) to continue to build. While these other teams are banging their chests because they started out stronger (most were stacked with '95s), CA'96 continues to improve and keeps getting better and with a positive coaching style - go figure!
Clean_up

by Clean_up » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:42 pm

fungodude wrote:They did have a good day in Tracy and qualified with Bomb Squad over those other 4 teams. But my criteria is not how spectacularly someone qualified for states. The only way to see who is better is to play head to head. I mentioned next year because that is what should happen in states and nationals between the good '96 teams.

For the record, Bomb Squad did NOT qualify in Tracy - CA' 96 beat them twice in the Championship to earn their berth. Bomb Squad then had to go back up to No Cal and compete in Regionals to qualify.
Clean_up

by YellowBalls » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:06 am

fungodude wrote:They did have a good day in Tracy and qualified with Bomb Squad over those other 4 teams. But my criteria is not how spectacularly someone qualified for states. The only way to see who is better is to play head to head. I mentioned next year because that is what should happen in states and nationals between the good '96 teams.

From what I've seen over the past couple of months, CA 96, PowerSurge 96 and the Firecrackers 96 are the top "96" teams THIS season. Rebels and Nemesis 96 are good teams, but haven't done that well in tournaments, Batbusters don't count with too many older girls still playing and they started out with more than half a team of '95s, Jynx doesn't count as they are almost in the same boat as BB. CA 96 seems to play much better in tournaments than in friendlies at least from what I've seen of them, they have a lot of pitchers and are starting to hit well. I heard they got one of their top players from Winter back who brings a big bat for Nats. Firecrackers are solid, but PowerSurge '96 is the better of the three teams IMO.

Personally, these kids are U12 and it doesn't matter at this age what team your kid is on as long as they better and learn the game. Too many people talking sh_ t about other kids these days, it's all about growth in this division. Don't get me wrong, I want to win games and go to Nationals too, that's an experience these kids should have, but in the end getting into a good college and playing is the goal and that doesn't happen when they are 11 and 12.
YellowBalls

by Clean_up » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:33 am

YellowBalls wrote:

From what I've seen over the past couple of months, CA 96, PowerSurge 96 and the Firecrackers 96 are the top "96" teams THIS season. Rebels and Nemesis 96 are good teams, but haven't done that well in tournaments, Batbusters don't count with too many older girls still playing and they started out with more than half a team of '95s, Jynx doesn't count as they are almost in the same boat as BB. CA 96 seems to play much better in tournaments than in friendlies at least from what I've seen of them, they have a lot of pitchers and are starting to hit well. I heard they got one of their top players from Winter back who brings a big bat for Nats. Firecrackers are solid, but PowerSurge '96 is the better of the three teams IMO.

Personally, these kids are U12 and it doesn't matter at this age what team your kid is on as long as they better and learn the game. Too many people talking sh_ t about other kids these days, it's all about growth in this division. Don't get me wrong, I want to win games and go to Nationals too, that's an experience these kids should have, but in the end getting into a good college and playing is the goal and that doesn't happen when they are 11 and 12.

Completely agree!
Clean_up

by Comets16 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:02 am

We had a cool expierience this weekend, here in Alabama! Patrick Murphy ( University Alabama Head Coach), University of Alabama Birmingham, and University Alabama Huntsville coaches were at our ASA State. The word was he (Murphy) was there to watch a 16U pitcher. It was a neat buzz around the park. Our 12U game was next and I looked to my left and there was all three coaches, that only sat 5 ft away on the bleachers, watching our 12U game. It was arguably two best teams in the state..My daughter threw out 2 runners in the game, we turned a double play, and our pitcher was throwing really hard but lost 2-0. While you are most likely correct "that doesn't happen when they are 11 and 12". For that one game and one day our 11 & 12 yr olds had two DI coaches and one DII coach watching them play a little softball, a memory that they can take with them for a long time...
Comets16

by Clean_up » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:25 am

Comets16 wrote:We had a cool expierience this weekend, here in Alabama! Patrick Murphy ( University Alabama Head Coach), University of Alabama Birmingham, and University Alabama Huntsville coaches were at our ASA State. The word was he (Murphy) was there to watch a 16U pitcher. It was a neat buzz around the park. Our 12U game was next and I looked to my left and there was all three coaches, that only sat 5 ft away on the bleachers, watching our 12U game. It was arguably two best teams in the state..My daughter threw out 2 runners in the game, we turned a double play, and our pitcher was throwing really hard but lost 2-0. While you are most likely correct "that doesn't happen when they are 11 and 12". For that one game and one day our 11 & 12 yr olds had two DI coaches and one DII coach watching them play a little softball, a memory that they can take with them for a long time...

That's awesome! So much can happen from now until they are in 16U, my older daughter was a rotated player who played good defense but had a weak stick. Discouraged, she started playing volleyball for a year instead and did surprising well, but when she turned 15, she switched back to softball (her first love) and all of a sudden, she's hitting the ball to and over the fence, is much stronger in every aspect and very loud and active on the field. She went to a college showcase and we were told by some top 18Gold coaches that just her energy alone was drawing the scouts to watch her play. So, I agree that at 11-12 years old some players are good now but could peak soon and others might pass them by, some aren't that strong now but could shine in a couple more years... You never really know at this age and I agree with Mr. YellowBalls, as long as these youngters are getting better and learning the GAME, what they do as a team isn't the most important thing - although it sure is nice to WIN! :)
Clean_up

by uno tres » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:27 am

Clean_up wrote:
Comets16 wrote:We had a cool expierience this weekend, here in Alabama! Patrick Murphy ( University Alabama Head Coach), University of Alabama Birmingham, and University Alabama Huntsville coaches were at our ASA State. The word was he (Murphy) was there to watch a 16U pitcher. It was a neat buzz around the park. Our 12U game was next and I looked to my left and there was all three coaches, that only sat 5 ft away on the bleachers, watching our 12U game. It was arguably two best teams in the state..My daughter threw out 2 runners in the game, we turned a double play, and our pitcher was throwing really hard but lost 2-0. While you are most likely correct "that doesn't happen when they are 11 and 12". For that one game and one day our 11 & 12 yr olds had two DI coaches and one DII coach watching them play a little softball, a memory that they can take with them for a long time...

That's awesome! So much can happen from now until they are in 16U, my older daughter was a rotated player who played good defense but had a weak stick. Discouraged, she started playing volleyball for a year instead and did surprising well, but when she turned 15, she switched back to softball (her first love) and all of a sudden, she's hitting the ball to and over the fence, is much stronger in every aspect and very loud and active on the field. She went to a college showcase and we were told by some top 18Gold coaches that just her energy alone was drawing the scouts to watch her play. So, I agree that at 11-12 years old some players are good now but could peak soon and others might pass them by, some aren't that strong now but could shine in a couple more years... You never really know at this age and I agree with Mr. YellowBalls, as long as these youngters are getting better and learning the GAME, what they do as a team isn't the most important thing - although it sure is nice to WIN! :)

...what makes you so sure that "YellowBalls" is a Mr.......???...
.."now go get your F'n shine box!!!"...
uno tres

by Clean_up » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:49 pm

what makes you so sure that "YellowBalls" is a Mr.......???...

I'm not sure, just assumed... Some ladies I know have bigger balls than a lot of guys, so perhaps I am wrong and if I am, I apologize to YellowBalls... Who knows.. ;)
Clean_up

by YellowBalls » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:30 pm

Clean_up wrote:what makes you so sure that "YellowBalls" is a Mr.......???...

I'm not sure, just assumed... Some ladies I know have bigger balls than a lot of guys, so perhaps I am wrong and if I am, I apologize to YellowBalls... Who knows.. ;)

That's okay Clean_up, no need to apologize. Half the women in my family and some of the softball moms out there have bigger balls than most men I know - we must know some of the same people. Yes, I am male.
YellowBalls

by korn316 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:09 pm

[quote][/quote] let,s not forget about primetime[red]
korn316

Previous

Return to CA