Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

New to Travel

by troyreigns » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm

My DD is fairly new to travel softball ('05). I'm trying to understand the softball landscape, and how it might compare to club soccer (my other DD).
Is there a governing body for SoCal softball the same way there is in soccer, e.g. CalSouth?
Are there regular fall and spring leagues, e.g. SCDSL/Coast Soccer? Or merely friendlies and tournaments building to PGF?
Are these leagues separate from the "elite" leagues, e.g. ECNL/DA in soccer?
Why is it so difficult to find listings of teams online? Soccer is fairly simple as all clubs are listed on the CalSouth (governing body) website.

TIA for helping out a newb!
troyreigns
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:19 pm

Anyone can start a fast-pitch softball travel ball team. No overseeing body. Play whatever tournaments you want. Friendly's are hosted by different teams orgs.
To look up teams, tryouts tournaments and friendly's, pay 12 bucks and you can view that through heybucket.
notthisagain

by eclipse09 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:12 am

Just click on the premium member button to get access to all tryouts, tournaments and more.

Heybucket Premium Members

Well, we are just about to start the 11th year Heybucket has been up and running. I can't believe it has already been 11 years. I also can't believe how big Heybucket has become!

We started Heybucket in 2008 and by 2012 we had over 124 million hits from over 100 countries. In 2015 we had over 125 million hits, and 2016 topped that and every year since we are getting bigger and bigger. We are still growing and growing fast, we haven't even put a dent in the softball world.

I did not start Heybucket as a business, I started it for all softball lovers like me to have a place to go and talk about the game we all love. Now 10 years in, I am spending about 20 hours a week keeping the site going. You can't imagine how much time Spazdad and I spend everyday just helping people with lost passwords, or lost users names, etc. It is getting to be a full time job and we now need ready to expand our staff to help keep up with all the demands. The site is now costing us 15 times more than it did our first year.

That being said many people profit from Heybucket. From selling goods out of our classified adds forum to making money off tournaments, friendlies, camps and clinics.

Staring Dec 27th 2018 in order to get into the Announcement Forums you must be a Premium Member. Premium members will be able to access the Announcement Forum, classified adds, tournaments forum, friendlies forum, or camps and clinics forum. Like everything else the cost to run Heybucket has gone up every year

Help keep Heybucket up and running and become a Premium Member today for $1.00 a month. Sign up for $12.00 a year for your Premium Membership.

Click HERE to become a Premium Heybucket Member today
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by vanessa.kellems » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:04 am

Hell Troy,
You have found a great website for softball talk and information. I am the Head Coach for a local club team in San Diego, Ohana-Indian 05 and can answer some of your questions. There is no set season like ASA rec. softball and soccer in which you have a set schedule for the Fall and Spring. It depends on the team and coaches but most of the time its friendlies, double headers, showcases, and tournaments building to PGF and preparing your daughters to be looked at by colleges. Since there no league like in ASA rec there is no divisions like there is in soccer, but most of the coaches and teams know who the elite, above average, average, etc level of teams. There is a set ranking at the end of the year based on how teams place in different tournaments, It is difficult finding listing of teams online because there has become so many teams of all levels, the best way is word of mouth or find teams near your area and tryout. However, since teams are already done with their tryouts it may be more difficult.

Good Luck,
Vanessa
vanessa.kellems

by notthisagain » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:51 am

Tryouts never end in travel ball. There are always new tryouts posted and there are always teams looking for players.
notthisagain

by Schmick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 am

troyreigns wrote:My DD is fairly new to travel softball ('05). I'm trying to understand the softball landscape, and how it might compare to club soccer (my other DD).
Is there a governing body for SoCal softball the same way there is in soccer, e.g. CalSouth?
Are there regular fall and spring leagues, e.g. SCDSL/Coast Soccer? Or merely friendlies and tournaments building to PGF?
Why is it so difficult to find listings of teams online? Soccer is fairly simple as all clubs are listed on the CalSouth (governing body) website.

There is no governing body in So Cal softball. Also there is no official classifications (A, B, C/Gold, Silver, Platinum) for teams in So Cal softball like there seems to be in other parts of the country.
There is a sort of unspoken ratings where the top teams tend to play in each other's friendlies and stick to themselves. A new team would have to face those teams in a tournament and then hope they do well vs them so they could get invited to a friendly, unless the top teams just pillaged that teams best players from it.
There isn't really a league or even seasons. The softball year goes from Sept til August and only takes a break if the players are in High School.
There's a sort of hierarchy to the tournaments PGF/Surf City being the top and then TCS at the next tier and below that you have AFA and USA Preps and so on.
AFA does have weekday tourney/leagues where the teams will all get a game a week but that's mostly just for new teams that are looking for structure and experience
If you pay for this board you will see the teams looking for players or teams looking for friendlies.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bigclemdawg » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Schmick wrote:
troyreigns wrote:My DD is fairly new to travel softball ('05). I'm trying to understand the softball landscape, and how it might compare to club soccer (my other DD).

There is no governing body in So Cal softball. Also there is no official classifications (A, B, C/Gold, Silver, Platinum) for teams in So Cal softball like there seems to be in other parts of the country.
There is a sort of unspoken ratings where the top teams tend to play in each other's friendlies and stick to themselves. A new team would have to face those teams in a tournament and then hope they do well vs them so they could get invited to a friendly, unless the top teams just pillaged that teams best players from it.
There isn't really a league or even seasons. The softball year goes from Sept til August and only takes a break if the players are in High School.
There's a sort of hierarchy to the tournaments PGF/Surf City being the top and then TCS at the next tier and below that you have AFA and USA Preps and so on.
AFA does have weekday tourney/leagues where the teams will all get a game a week but that's mostly just for new teams that are looking for structure and experience
If you pay for this board you will see the teams looking for players or teams looking for friendlies.

unless the top teams just pillaged that teams best players from it. :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D
bigclemdawg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to CA