Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

AR

8U Live Arm in Arkansas

by dbetancur » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:00 pm

IMHO one of the main things keeping arkansas in the stone age of softball is that darn pitching machine. Get rid of that machine force teams to start pitching at 6 and 7 and there will be better teams when they reach 10 -12s. Anyone have any coments or intrest in starting a petition with the state ASA/USSSA governing bodies....
dbetancur

by artomatic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:42 pm

well, heck, why wait until they are 6? why not get them on the Finch Windmill and a pitching schedule as soon as they are able to walk on their own....
ok, just messing with you.
10-12 is a good time to really start focusing, just be careful you don't overdo it.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dbetancur » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Look at Softball in other areas of the country. CA, TX, OK, FL, AL, The reason those states are softball powerhouses is because they dont even use a pitching machine. I dont understand what everyone is so scared about 8U live arm. There should not be any reason to have a pitching machine on the field durning games at 8u much less 10u. I mean come on. If you dont develop pitchers the talent pool in arkansas wont get any larger. Does anyone with older children ever wonder why there are no college scouts at tounaments in arkansas? Easy they all know the talent pool is not here, much less offer any athletic money for school.
dbetancur

by artomatic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:23 pm

easy big guy, i said i was just messing with you...
actually, i bet those states you mentioned are also leading the country in repetitive use injuries too...
so around here, in 8u, which is 7 and 8 yr olds, most leagues have the kids pitch, but when the count reaches 4 balls, the coach comes out and throws as many balls as there are strikes left...gives the kids some work, plus prevents the games from becoming a walk-fest...
pitching machines arent used in games, just for hitting practice, as one tool of many, such as tee work (very important), soft toss, and coach pitch.

my old league also has pitching clinics for the girls to teach them the basics.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by playball » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Strike up the banjo Hoss!
playball

by Rowdy1 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:27 pm

It looks like teams are starting to make a name in the state with the top teams now competing in surrounding states. We started fastpitch in Austin TX and did not have live arm until 9/10. I am sure it was available, but when you see pitchers like Cat Osterman who didn't start until she was 12 it makes the argument hollow. Teams here suffer more from the parents not realizing you can't have 9 shortstops or pitchers than a late start hitting a pitched ball. BTW many young ladies are taking lessons at your age, they just play up to get mound time.
Rowdy1

by Whizzer86 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:32 pm

That couldn't have anything to do with the population could it? Arkansas has about 2.6 million people, most major cities in the states you mentioned have more in the city than you do in the entire state and some of the states have multiple cities with a higher population.

8U is mostly coach pitch, machine pitch or a modified version of such. Of course you could make everyone a pitcher at 5 years old and ruin a large percentage of their arms just to have the satisfaction of your state producing one good pitcher.
Whizzer86

by turntwo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:02 am

I would say take out the pitching machine, and go to coach pitch. At least they have to learn how to hit a ball that isn't thrown in the same place every time. Also, there are many tournaments that still have pitching machine in 10U, and they are just delaying the inevitable of someone having to learn how to pitch. 8U coach pitch, 10U live arm, that would help the sport in AR.
turntwo

by sbfanatic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:54 am

In Texas live arm doe not start till 10U. If your DD is ready to see live pitching or is ready to pitch move her up in age bracket I personally would not. But your DD will have plenty of time to play hard core fast pitch, be patient and enjoy seeing them run from home to third or from third to first. We never even played TB till she started 10U at nine yrs old, with the exception of rec ball all stars.
Could you imagine all the players that would be discouraged about playing softball after she has been beaned millionth time in one game.
Last edited by sbfanatic on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbfanatic

by candcdad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:05 am

Great post Sbfanatic. They should play machine pitch in 8u. The problem in Arkansas for the most part is kids not developing strong fundamentals, especially hitting. When you go out of state the biggest difference is the hitting from top to bottom. Kids should be hitting off the tee and the machine at younger ages.
Just my two cents.
candcdad

Next

Return to AR