Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Looking for Ruling

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by sdiamond » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:12 am

Batter swings at pitch but ball doesnt hit bat but does hit her forearm, Ump says dead ball? cannot find a ruling on this.
sdiamond
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:10 pm

sdiamond wrote:Batter swings at pitch but ball doesnt hit bat but does hit her forearm, Ump says dead ball? cannot find a ruling on this.

Correct call is dead-ball strike. The dead-ball effect is easy to miss in USA/ASA rules. In my 2013 copy, this situation is covered in Rule 7 BATTING - Section 4 A STRIKE IS CALLED BY THE UMPIRE, the applicable strike rule is H and the dead-ball effect is farther down below L in "EFFECT - Section 4F-L".

NFHS rule is 5-1-1:
ART. 1 . . . Ball becomes dead immediately when (see Table 5-1):
a. a pitch touches a batter or the batter’s clothing (8-1-2b).
NOTE: (F.P.) The ball becomes dead even though the batter strikes at it.

Pitched ball contacting batter is always an immediate dead ball - including the hands. Whether it is HBP or just a ball/strike depends on location of pitch, rule set and what batter did or didn't do.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
PDad wrote:Pitched ball contacting batter is always an immediate dead ball - including the hands. Whether it is HBP or just a ball/strike depends on location of pitch, rule set and what batter did or didn't do.

Just when you think it has died I actually heard an umpire, in PGF last week, say hands are part of the bat

Surely at that level the teams said "Get the UIC"?? It didn't just end there, did it?

The UIC's (Smokey or Mike) need to know that about someone they put on those fields.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:55 am

Spazsdad wrote:
PDad wrote:Pitched ball contacting batter is always an immediate dead ball - including the hands. Whether it is HBP or just a ball/strike depends on location of pitch, rule set and what batter did or didn't do.

Just when you think it has died I actually heard an umpire, in PGF last week, say hands are part of the bat

This past HS season I was restricted to the dugout over this one ... LOL ... In this case it was an older gentleman working the dish that they just coerced out of retirement ... After suggesting that he should take the rule book to the bathroom with him when he took a sh*t so he wouldn't make such a shi*ty call on the field he suggested that I have a seat ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner