Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Blue on the bases with a Bluetooth in ear

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Hey17 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:49 pm

How professional is it for a blue to have a Bluetooth in his ear and talking to someone while officiating? Do they have rules? Or can they just do about anything?
Hey17
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:19 am

Hey17 wrote:How professional is it for a blue to have a Bluetooth in his ear and talking to someone while officiating? Do they have rules? Or can they just do about anything?

I know of no sanctioning body or umpire association that would approve of or condone such thing.
MTR

by as the world turns » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:40 pm

Hey17 wrote:How professional is it for a blue to have a Bluetooth in his ear and talking to someone while officiating? Do they have rules? Or can they just do about anything?

Not surprised really, they are above criticism, the softball associations treat them like gods. Heck, we even parade them around before nationals :lol:
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Battle » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:35 pm

How do you know he was talking to someone and what was he saying?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Makina » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:08 am

In which state did you see this at?
Makina

by MTR » Sun May 01, 2016 10:27 am

as the world turns wrote:

Not surprised really, they are above criticism, the softball associations treat them like gods. Heck, we even parade them around before nationals :lol:

putz!
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 05, 2016 4:24 am

It's been several years, but I had a young official (early 20's) texting on the bases ... Mostly in between innings, but also in between batters a few times :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Davidsonsk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 am

When you have an issue with something that the umpire is doing, go to the Tournament Director if its a tournament. If it is a rec. league game talk to the League person in charge and voice your issue with them. If you do not receive any feedback, then talk to the president phone/email/text/in person so you know you have had your voice heard. Usually umpires have assignors to these events and they will not be asked back after something like this has happened.
Davidsonsk
Premium Member
Premium Member

by josephrt1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:57 pm

In the USA/ASA manual, section 4.7.c.5 it specifically forbids coaches from electronic devices or cell phones. Nowhere in the rule book does this address umpires. But if this happened in a USA/ASA tournament the UIC would have him drawn and quartered on the spot. It shouldn't happen in a rec game either. Notify your league rep to get it straightened out.
josephrt1

Return to The Umpire Corner