Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Drop 3rd Strike 8u

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by richdg2003 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:22 am

Is drop 3rd strike in effect for 8u rec ball?

Specifically tournament play i.e. all-stars.
richdg2003

by DC Dad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 pm

It is not in play for any 8u games.
DC Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by McGee » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:41 am

Can you imagine D3K in 8U? Most rec teams would rarely make outs. It is bad enough that many rec leagues employ D3K during the regualr 10U season. Most teams at the10U rec level don't have the skills to defend D3K and it is off to the races after mmany strike outs.
The result is many teams don't really learn to play basic defense and base runners don't learn what it takes to run the bases at the next level.
McGee

by rfmnz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:18 am

McGee wrote:Can you imagine D3K in 8U? Most rec teams would rarely make outs. It is bad enough that many rec leagues employ D3K during the regualr 10U season. Most teams at the10U rec level don't have the skills to defend D3K and it is off to the races after mmany strike outs.
The result is many teams don't really learn to play basic defense and base runners don't learn what it takes to run the bases at the next level.

I would disagree (bolded part). Teams at my Rec league defended pretty well against Dropped 3rd in 10u.
rfmnz

by eclipse09 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:36 pm

rfmnz wrote:
McGee wrote:Can you imagine D3K in 8U? Most rec teams would rarely make outs. It is bad enough that many rec leagues employ D3K during the regualr 10U season. Most teams at the10U rec level don't have the skills to defend D3K and it is off to the races after mmany strike outs.

I would disagree (bolded part). Teams at my Rec league defended pretty well against Dropped 3rd in 10u.

I agree with rfmz. The rule really forces the catchers to work on catching the ball and begin to work on blocking the ball. The worst part about the 10u dropped third strike rule is when new players swing at everything. I am sure coaches aren't encouraging that. :lol:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Just a point. It depends on the sanctioning body. For example, ASA does not address special rules for 8U. I would think many of the rules would be determined locally
MTR

by Fredegar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Unlike the other responses, I agree with McGee. It depends on the level of play for every Rec league of course, With more and more kids leaving for Travel during 10U (against that too, btw), there aren't typically enough talented players for every Rec team. The few studs play Pitcher and 1st, and maybe Short. Not many Rec teams are that deep. Games will move a LOT faster if Pitchers get credit for those K's, instead of having the catcher overthrow 1st base, where the right fielder (probably not the strongest player) is picking dandelions or counting butterflies. An Out has turned into a HR. And the inning continues. Whereas, more innings mean more defensive rotations, more pitching innings to spread around, etc. Playing more innings comes closer to resembling real softball.

What about 10U All-Stars, you ask? The good catchers are already working on catching/blocking during their Rec Games. And they can certainly practice throwing to 1st on D3Ks. Plus, they'll have a few weeks to practice in May with their All-Star teams. Having said that, if your league is strong enough where every team has a couple talented catchers (don't wanna saddle the 1 good catcher with having to catch every inning of every game), then allowing D3K's won't affect the game too much. In general, it's unnecessary and slows down the game, at that level, for most leagues.
Fredegar

Return to The Umpire Corner