Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Hit By Pitch and the college game

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by AlwaysImprove » Thu May 30, 2013 8:28 am

Anti-Clone wrote:The BATTER'S box belongs to the...wait for it...BATTER.

Pitches belong over or near the plate. Don't want to pitch there? Fine. But there are rules to handle that.

Anyone capable of doing math can conclude that for the ball to be ENTIRELY within the batter's box, it has to be thrown 10 inches off the plate. Only a fool would argue that by throwing a pitch more than 10 inches from the strike zone + hitting the batter = taking the inside corner away. I don't know how you define "corner" but if you miss a 17 inch plate by 10 or more inches, you can't cry about a batter getting 1st base.

I have not seen a single pitch get to the batters box. I have seen 5 of about 20 that appeared to be over the plate, yet the batter got their base. Everyone of them the batter distinctly moved towards the ball. The movement is quick/subtle, but clearly looking like Rudi Stien.

Are you seeing it differently?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri May 31, 2013 2:11 am

Pitches belong over or near the plate. Don't want to pitch there? Fine. But there are rules to handle that.

Anyone capable of doing math can conclude that for the ball to be ENTIRELY within the batter's box, it has to be thrown 10 inches off the plate. Only a fool would argue that by throwing a pitch more than 10 inches from the strike zone + hitting the batter = taking the inside corner away. I don't know how you define "corner" but if you miss a 17 inch plate by 10 or more inches, you can't cry about a batter getting 1st base.

I can do the math ... Since any part of the ball being over the dish could make it a strike and the entire ball being over the batters box could make it entirely within the batters box, the ball would only have to be 6 inches from the plate, not ten ... The batters box starts 6 inches from the plate not 6 inches from the strike zone.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Fri May 31, 2013 4:42 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:

I can do the math ... Since any part of the ball being over the dish could make it a strike and the entire ball being over the batters box could make it entirely within the batters box, the ball would only have to be 6 inches from the plate, not ten ... The batters box starts 6 inches from the plate not 6 inches from the strike zone.

And the ball is how wide?
MTR

by PDad » Fri May 31, 2013 12:24 pm

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Anti-Clone wrote:Anyone capable of doing math can conclude that for the ball to be ENTIRELY within the batter's box, it has to be thrown 10 inches off the plate. Only a fool would argue that by throwing a pitch more than 10 inches from the strike zone + hitting the batter = taking the inside corner away. I don't know how you define "corner" but if you miss a 17 inch plate by 10 or more inches, you can't cry about a batter getting 1st base.

And the ball is how wide?

Ball width doesn't matter in the calculation of how far a pitch has to miss the strikezone to be entirely within the batter's box. AC exaggerated it and G is correct.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Fri May 31, 2013 6:37 pm

PDad wrote:Ball width doesn't matter in the calculation of how far a pitch has to miss the strikezone to be entirely within the batter's box. AC exaggerated it and G is correct.

Actually, in this instance it does. Why, you ask? Because if the batter is hit with a pitch less than 10", not 6", off the plate, that mean the entire ball was not in the BB.

And before you decide to take the normal path of attacking the poster instead of the post, realize with whom I am agreeing. Neither is a member of the other's fan club.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:47 am

MTR wrote:
PDad wrote:Ball width doesn't matter in the calculation of how far a pitch has to miss the strikezone to be entirely within the batter's box. AC exaggerated it and G is correct.

Actually, in this instance it does. Why, you ask? Because if the batter is hit with a pitch less than 10", not 6", off the plate, that mean the entire ball was not in the BB.

And before you decide to take the normal path of attacking the poster instead of the post, realize with whom I am agreeing. Neither is a member of the other's fan club.

If you were sitting in traffic and wanted to know how far your car was from the car in front of you, does it matter how long your car is ? ;) ... For the ball to be completely inside the batters box it only has to be 6 inches from the plate ... Unless for some bizzarro reason you are measuring to the opposite side of the ball.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:51 am

MTR wrote:
PDad wrote:Ball width doesn't matter in the calculation of how far a pitch has to miss the strike zone to be entirely within the batter's box. AC exaggerated it and G is correct.

First, "off the plate" is generally understood to mean no part of the ball is over the plate (i.e. missed the strike zone horizontally). If a pitch is 6" off the plate, there is a 6" gap between the ball and the plate, which would put it entirely in the batter's box.

Second, throwing a pitch where only a portion of the ball is over the plate is certainly not "missing" the strike zone - it is desirable by pitchers. There's no way a pitcher has to miss the strike zone by at least 10" for the ball to be entirely in the batter's box as AC's post clearly suggested.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:00 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:If you were sitting in traffic and wanted to know how far your car was from the car in front of you, does it matter how long your car is ? ;) ... For the ball to be completely inside the batters box it only has to be 6 inches from the plate ... Unless for some bizzarro reason you are measuring to the opposite side of the ball.

How far is the car from Superman's head?

PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:09 am

PDad wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:If you were sitting in traffic and wanted to know how far your car was from the car in front of you, does it matter how long your car is ? ;) ... For the ball to be completely inside the batters box it only has to be 6 inches from the plate ... Unless for some bizzarro reason you are measuring to the opposite side of the ball.

How far is the car from Superman's head?

LOL ... I don't know ... How tall is he ?
GIMNEPIWO

by jonriv » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:36 am

MTR wrote:

I seems like you have been hit in the head with a ball(not sure if 10'' or 12")
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner