Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Umpire Inattention

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GSB » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Just wondering if umpires have a requirement to watch the plays they are calling? Is there actually a rule that covers this?

Situation #1: Plate Umpire is looking at a girl yelling at the top of her lungs in the dugout (1st base side) as BR comes in from 3rd and slides into home. Tag is made on the BR's helmet but foot is already over the center of the plate. PU turns his body, and now looks at the play then calls her out.

Situations #2: Batter hits a hard grounder to third and takes off running. 3rd baseman bobbles the ball and makes the throw. Umpire is looking directly at the coaches in the dugout (3rd base side) and calls the runner out. The ball hits the first baseman's glove and pops up 3 feet into the air. The runner tags the base and actually gets back before the first baseman gets possession of the ball. Umpire standing 3 feet from the play never looks but continues to stare at the coaches and insists the runner is out.

Situation #3: Umpire makes calls, 3 to 6 seconds before the play even happens, then turns his head. Most of the times the calls turn out to be correct. But from time to time a throw is bad or catch is not made.

Now I am not giving these situations to point out poor umpiring. I am not even saying these calls have happened to my team. Having been on the other side of the fence a few times, I know it can be difficult to be an umpire. I have always been very supportive of umpires and have never yelled at or even publicly disagreed with an umpire. "If thats the way he saw it, thats what happened." I have from time to time, thought a call was bad and have said things under my breath. LOL...

My question is, when it is so obvious that the umpire did not see the play and his partner refuses to question the call (tighter than cops) LOL, is there any method of disputing it. Especially if a judgment call situation. How can it be a judgment call if the umpire did not see the play and refuses to admit it?

In the world of umpires, is it considered a sign of weakness to admit you missed the play and differ to the other umpire that may have actually witness it? I can think of no other explanation as to why this may be happening.

I have seen these situations in both tournaments and friendlies. Some with my team involved (against us) some (for us). Others while just watching other teams play. It seems to becoming more and more prevalent. A few weeks ago a call was made while the umpire had his back completely turned to the play. It was so obvious the coach from the benefiting team came out and argued with the umpire.
To each their own.
GSB

by wadeintothem » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:02 pm

feel better?
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by GSB » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:03 pm

wadeintothem wrote:feel better?

Thanks wade,

I saw your other post. I am glad umpires talk like that. I hope it is catchy.
To each their own.
GSB

by wadeintothem » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:20 pm

LOL.. its darn near addictive!
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Bretman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:42 am

GSB wrote:Just wondering if umpires have a requirement to watch the plays they are calling? Is there actually a rule that covers this?

Sure. It's rule 12-6-14 paragraph "C", which reads, "The umpire shall not be an ucking fidiot".

I mean, come on, of course the umpire is supposed to watch the play before making a call. That's a given. Anticipating the play, moving into the right position, setting up at the proper angle and distance, keeping all elements of the play in view, pausing to process what you've just seen, then making the signal and call are all things reinforced by pages and pages and pages of instructional material in any umpire manual.

I'm surprised that you see this problem as "becoming more and more prevalent". I work tons of games every season, and watch a ton more, and can't really recall anything quite so blantant as this happening. Has fastpitch softball exploded in SoCal to the point that they are resorting to pulling random passersby off the street to cover all the games?

What can you do if this happens? About all you can do is ask for time, wait until it is granted, then approach the umpire that made the call and calmly say something like, "The first baseman was bobbling the ball when the runner crossed the bag. Maybe you didn't see that clearly. Could you check with your partner and see if he had a better view?".

The umpire you're asking either will or won't go this partner for additional info. If he does, maybe you get lucky and his partner tells him what he saw and you get the call reversed. If he doesn't, then you're pretty much stuck with what you have.

No, it is not considered a "sign of weakness" for an umpire to go to his partner for help. This is a perfectly acceptable practice and one also supported in umpire training materials.

Well-trained or experienced umpires are going to get in position and watch the play before making a call- most of the time. There is always the chance that they can miss something or have their view blocked out. There should be no shame in admitting that, and no hesitation to check with your partner when asked about it. This goes to the heart of the basic tenant of getting the call right.

Now, if your umpires are routinely missing plays, due to poor positioning or mechanics, or refusing to ask for help on plays that they obviously didn't see, rather than some "thin blue line" code of silence, what you're probably dealing with is inexperienced or poorly-trained umpires- or just plain bad umpires. While anybody can make a mistake, some people just aren't cut out to be effective sports officals. It really does take a certain level of physical ability, temperment, mental apptitude, concentration, attention to detail and willingness to learn and improve that some simply do not have.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by bucketdad96 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:20 pm

High School game last week. Lead off batter, hard grounder to right field, right fielder makes quick through to first base, close play at first. Base ump had started walking away as soon as the ball left the infield. Plate ump finally ruled out.
IMG_6214.JPG
IMG_6214.JPG (48.8 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
bucketdad96

by Bretman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:04 pm

Now that is a priceless photo!

I would love to know what appeal process was followed- who asked who what and what the replies were- where the end result was the plate umpire making the call.

But here again, the whole fiasco could be avoided by the base umpire doing what he is supposed to do in the first place. His number one priority on this one is to watch the play at first base- watch for a throw, a tag, the batter-runner touching the bag, possible obstruction/interference...

I wonder what was going through his head as he turned his back on the one place he's responsible for watching and walked the other way?
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by sportzjunky » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:09 pm

The blue in that pic looks like he's moonwalking back into the play to make the call... flashback....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-S-eeInJVk
The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure.
These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.
- Vince Lombardi
sportzjunky

by wadeintothem » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Bretman wrote:Now that is a priceless photo!

I would love to know what appeal process was followed- who asked who what and what the replies were- where the end result was the plate umpire making the call.

But here again, the whole fiasco could be avoided by the base umpire doing what he is supposed to do in the first place. His number one priority on this one is to watch the play at first base- watch for a throw, a tag, the batter-runner touching the bag, possible obstruction/interference...

I wonder what was going through his head as he turned his back on the one place he's responsible for watching and walked the other way?

Thats a little rough and patronizing from another umpire. You've never seen a BU get backdoored like that ?

A BIG screw up yes; but we dont know the whole story. Maybe hes new? This year especially there are a lot of new umpires and experienced umpires need to be on the ball. If he were my umpire I would talk to him about getting back doored by the RF blooper. That is not an uncommon error to make especially by a newer umpire.

If thats a blooper to right field with no runners on, I would question his entire positioning, not just where he is heading while not watching the ball. If this were men's ball, you only turn your head like that to RF once...

To read the play based on that fraction of time, there are other things potentially wrong than just him not watching the ball. There is an entire mechanic to be discussed. That would include PU's positioning on that play, in response to what could be a different position of BU, as well.

With the probably proper positioning by both umps on this play, that BU could spontaneously combust and the play would be an easy call by the PU.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Skarp » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Thou shalt not criticize an umpire under any circumstances.
--Lord Wade Almighty
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner