Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

New Pitcher Warms Up In The Circle

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Jar19201 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Scenario: new pitcher comes to the circle at the beginning of a new inning. She throws 5 warm up pitches, then another pitcher comes in before the first batter steps in. I understand the rule to be that the pitcher that warms up must deliver at least one pitch. Is that interpretation correct?
Jar19201

by GoKorea » Sun May 05, 2013 4:52 am

As per another post I started the answer is no except in the 1st inning.
GoKorea

by UmpSteve » Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 am

Jar19201 wrote:Scenario: new pitcher comes to the circle at the beginning of a new inning. She throws 5 warm up pitches, then another pitcher comes in before the first batter steps in. I understand the rule to be that the pitcher that warms up must deliver at least one pitch. Is that interpretation correct?

There is no such rule.

The only time a pitcher cannot be substituted for is in high school rules, bottom of the first, ONLY IF that "pitcher" had a courtesy runner in the top of the first. Same applies to the catcher.

Other than that, any player can be substituted for at any time. The "understanding" is a myth.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun May 05, 2013 12:22 pm

UmpSteve wrote:
Jar19201 wrote:Scenario: new pitcher comes to the circle at the beginning of a new inning. She throws 5 warm up pitches, then another pitcher comes in before the first batter steps in. I understand the rule to be that the pitcher that warms up must deliver at least one pitch. Is that interpretation correct?

There is no such rule.

The only time a pitcher cannot be substituted for is in high school rules, bottom of the first, ONLY IF that "pitcher" had a courtesy runner in the top of the first. Same applies to the catcher.

Other than that, any player can be substituted for at any time. The "understanding" is a myth.

I disagree ... Any player can be substitited for at any time by a legal substitute ... But the player who is being substituted for has left the game and may only return if she is eligible for re-entry ... Even if it is the pitcher or catcher in the bottom of the first ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by UmpSteve » Sun May 05, 2013 2:39 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:

There is no such rule.

I disagree ... Any player can be substitited for at any time by a legal substitute ... But the player who is being substituted for has left the game and may only return if she is eligible for re-entry ... Even if it is the pitcher or catcher in the bottom of the first ...

G, you are correct; I misstated. May not switch defensive positions in that situation without playing the position first, but can be substituted for at any time.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Anti-Clone » Sun May 05, 2013 6:07 pm

PONY requires a new pitcher to pitch to a batter.
Anti-Clone

by Jar19201 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:36 pm

I appreciate the input and clarifications....so....scenario is:

A pitcher comes in, takes warm up pitches (and time), and right before the batter steps into the box, the coach has the pitcher and a position player (not a substitution) switch...does not use a defensive conference. Is that legal since the pitcher who took the warm up pitches never actually played the position of pitcher?

My thinking is that this would be a way for coaches to eat up time since the second pitcher would then get warm up pitches as well.
Jar19201

by Colo Blue » Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 pm

The original post did not clarify what sanction they were playing under. USSSA does have a rule. Rule 5 Sec 5 states: A substitute or player who replaces a pitcher while the team is on defense
shall pitch to the first opponent to bat against the substitute until that batter
has advanced to first base, or has been put out or until there has been a third
out. To ensure that the requirements are fulfilled, the Umpire will deny any
coach-defensive player conference that will violate it.
Colo Blue

Return to The Umpire Corner