Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Play at the plate

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by sbcoach555 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:44 pm

How do I coach my kids not to bulldoze the catcher over. This was a close play at the plate. Catcher was at least a foot in front in the plate, my runner slides under her - a second later catcher catches the ball and tags her at the hip. Runners foot was inches short from the plate therefore the ump called her out. Thought this was obstruction but ump said No it was too close of a play- its judgement call. Not sure if other coaches teach their players to do this but I definitely dont want to see any players get hurt. Last yr 2nd baseman fielder was in basepath in which my runner had to sidestep on a steal which caused her to be out. When I spoke with ump he said if my runner bumped into her than obstruction will be called. This is not what I want to teach my girls. They all know slide or surrender - not knock the fielder over to get to the base.
sbcoach555

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Umpire was wrong, no contact is necessary for an OBS call ... And in practice I set up obsticles in front of the bag in a variety of configurations and teach my base runners slide around them ... Also, we discuss and drill how to 'read' a defenders actions and adjust your base path or slide accordingly ... A defender being in the base path or blocking a base without the ball is not OBS unless they impede the base runner ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by HugoTafurst » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:51 pm

sbcoach555 wrote:How do I coach my kids not to bulldoze the catcher over. This was a close play at the plate. Catcher was at least a foot in front in the plate, my runner slides under her - a second later catcher catches the ball and tags her at the hip. Runners foot was inches short from the plate therefore the ump called her out. Thought this was obstruction but ump said No it was too close of a play- its judgement call. Not sure if other coaches teach their players to do this but I definitely dont want to see any players get hurt. Last yr 2nd baseman fielder was in basepath in which my runner had to sidestep on a steal which caused her to be out. When I spoke with ump he said if my runner bumped into her than obstruction will be called. This is not what I want to teach my girls. They all know slide or surrender - not knock the fielder over to get to the base.

Get new umpires.... :lol:
HugoTafurst

by tcannizzo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:01 pm

HugoTafurst wrote:
sbcoach555 wrote:How do I coach my kids not to bulldoze the catcher over. This was a close play at the plate. Catcher was at least a foot in front in the plate, my runner slides under her - a second later catcher catches the ball and tags her at the hip. Runners foot was inches short from the plate therefore the ump called her out. Thought this was obstruction but ump said No it was too close of a play- its judgement call. Not sure if other coaches teach their players to do this but I definitely dont want to see any players get hurt. Last yr 2nd baseman fielder was in basepath in which my runner had to sidestep on a steal which caused her to be out. When I spoke with ump he said if my runner bumped into her than obstruction will be called. This is not what I want to teach my girls. They all know slide or surrender - not knock the fielder over to get to the base.

Get new umpires.... :lol:

but they can be old....
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by Pale Rider » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Keep in mind, un-necessary malicious contact negates an obstruction call...No sense trying hurt someone over a ball game...

ART. 13 . . . The runner does not legally slide and causes illegal contact and/or
Rule 8-6 2010 NFHS Softball Rules Page 66
illegally alters the actions of the fielder in the immediate act of making a play on
her. Runners are never required to slide but, if the runner elects to slide, the slide
shall be legal.
ART. 14 . . . She remains on her feet and maliciously crashes into a defensive
player. Malicious contact supersedes obstruction.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Anti-Clone » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:36 am

Pale Rider wrote:Keep in mind, un-necessary malicious contact negates an obstruction call...No sense trying hurt someone over a ball game...

ART. 13 . . . The runner does not legally slide and causes illegal contact and/or
illegally alters the actions of the fielder in the immediate act of making a play on
her. Runners are never required to slide but, if the runner elects to slide, the slide
shall be legal.
ART. 14 . . . She remains on her feet and maliciously crashes into a defensive
player. Malicious contact supersedes obstruction.

This is rather unique to Federation. Other codes keep the obstruction, grant whatever award there may be and eject the player. Base awards are not negated in most other codes.
Anti-Clone

Return to The Umpire Corner