Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitching Motion and hands together

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by 8u/10udad » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:32 am

Pitcher does not present ball in front of her. She has both arms above her head, places ball with hand in glove and then goes to pitching motion, is that considered a presentation. Also, how long does presentation need to be before pitching motion?
8u/10udad

by ontheblack » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Does she take, or simulate taking, the sign from the catcher prior to this?
ontheblack

by Anti-Clone » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:50 pm

The term "present the ball" does not exist in fast pitch softball. The pitcher must step onto the pitching plate with her hands separated. The ball may be in either the bare hand or in the glove. The batter is not entitled to "see" the ball. She then must take or simulate taking a signal (a requirement to prevent a quick pitch). Then her hands must come together before she delivers the ball. Different codes have different requirements regarding the hands coming together.
Anti-Clone

by MTR » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:31 pm

8u/10udad wrote:Pitcher does not present ball in front of her. She has both arms above her head, places ball with hand in glove and then goes to pitching motion, is that considered a presentation. Also, how long does presentation need to be before pitching motion?

No such animal as "presentation" of the ball. As long at the pitcher steps on the PP with the hands separated and allows for a hesitation (simulating the taking of a signal) prior to placing the hands together, not a problem.
MTR

by Phantomz08 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:05 am

Are college rules different? I watched Traina pitch yesterday and she never seperated her hands before she started her wind up. Also, correct me if I am wrong but in high school the pitcher does not have to have two feet on the rubber but in college they do?
If it ain't broke, why fix it??
Phantomz08
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Phantomz08 wrote:Are college rules different? I watched Traina pitch yesterday and she never seperated her hands before she started her wind up. Also, correct me if I am wrong but in high school the pitcher does not have to have two feet on the rubber but in college they do?

You must be misreading something. The pitcher can separate anytime after coming together, supposedly after a minimum of 1 second and a maximum of 10 seconds. The pitch doesn't start until the hands are separated. The pitcher can do anything she wants with her hands while together. There is no "wind-up" part to any rule of which I am aware.
MTR

by Phantomz08 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:06 am

MTR wrote:
Phantomz08 wrote:Are college rules different? I watched Traina pitch yesterday and she never seperated her hands before she started her wind up. Also, correct me if I am wrong but in high school the pitcher does not have to have two feet on the rubber but in college they do?

You must be misreading something. The pitcher can separate anytime after coming together, supposedly after a minimum of 1 second and a maximum of 10 seconds. The pitch doesn't start until the hands are separated. The pitcher can do anything she wants with her hands while together. There is no "wind-up" part to any rule of which I am aware.
I will ask a more simple question this time. Does the pitcher have to have her hands separated before starting her pitch? Traina steps on the rubber with hand in glove and doesn't take her hand out until she starts her windmill motion, which I reference as her wind up. I am familiar with the whole pitching motion, but was just wondering if college pitchers had to have their hands separated.

That's all. Oh, and if they are required to keep contact with both feet on the rubber prior to starting their pitch.
Phantomz08
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:24 am

Phantomz08 wrote:I will ask a more simple question this time. Does the pitcher have to have her hands separated before starting her pitch?

Simple answer: Pitch doesn't start until the hands are separated.

Traina steps on the rubber with hand in glove and doesn't take her hand out until she starts her windmill motion, which I reference as her wind up. I am familiar with the whole pitching motion, but was just wondering if college pitchers had to have their hands separated.

Again, the pitch does not start until the hands are separated

That's all. Oh, and if they are required to keep contact with both feet on the rubber prior to starting their pitch.

In NCAA, ASA & ISF, both feet must be on the ground within the 24" width of and in contact with the pitcher's plate. NFHS does and other organizations may vary.
MTR

by UmpSteve » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 am

Phantomz08 wrote:I will ask a more simple question this time. Does the pitcher have to have her hands separated before starting her pitch? Traina steps on the rubber with hand in glove and doesn't take her hand out until she starts her windmill motion, which I reference as her wind up. I am familiar with the whole pitching motion, but was just wondering if college pitchers had to have their hands separated.

You will need to watch more closely; I have watched her pitch many times over the years, and she does not step on the pitching plate with her hands together; that would be illegal.

She steps on the pitching plate with the ball in her glove hand, and her pitching hand to the right of her body; both feet are in contact with the pitching plate. She takes the signal with hands separated, and while fully paused; then brings the hands together inside the glove in front of her body, and moves the glove to the right side of her body to hide her grip from the third base coach. She does begin a windup with hands still together and the ball and pitching hand still hidden in the glove.

All this is still defined as preliminary to the pitch, meets every requirement, and does nothing that is illegal. As noted by MTR, the pitch does not begin, by definition, until the hands are separated. Pitchers MAY begin a windup before separating the hands; it is pretty clear she does that, but the pitch begins when the hands ARE separated after being together.

So your actual question doesn't exactly make sense; no one can pitch the ball with hands still together ......
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Phantomz08 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 am

Well, if you would have been in College Station this past weekend, you would have seen what I am talking about. Her hands were never separated prior to toeing the rubber and only when she started her windmill motion, did they become separated because, as you said, nobody can pitch with their hands together. Both of ya'll have failed to answer my question. "Do college pitchers have to have their hands separated when stepping on to the rubber? Simple question.
Phantomz08
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner