Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitching Motion and hands together

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:12 am

Unless that is a still photo frame, it is not loading on my puter ... But, what I see is her hands are separated and she is on the rubber and the pitch has not yet started ... no violation.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by cuzmail » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:22 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Unless that is a still photo frame, it is not loading on my puter ... But, what I see is her hands are separated and she is on the rubber and the pitch has not yet started ... no violation.

Yep. Exactly my point. See previous posts for explanation of what I saw.
It is a screen shot (still) of a video.
There's one in every crowd!
cuzmail

by UmpSteve » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:08 pm

cuzmail wrote:Finally!!!! it uploaded.
This is what we saw every time from Traina.

Watching Traina tonight; doing exactly what she has always done. Perfectly legal, hands are obviously separated standing on the pitching plate waiting on and taking her signal.

I guess it is just the air in College Station. Although no illegal pitches called, and apparently no A&M coaches arguing about seeing her hands together, either.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by cuzmail » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:16 pm

UmpSteve wrote:

Watching Traina tonight; doing exactly what she has always done. Perfectly legal, hands are obviously separated standing on the pitching plate waiting on and taking her signal.

I guess it is just the air in College Station. Although no illegal pitches called, and apparently no A&M coaches arguing about seeing her hands together, either.

She looks the same tonight as she did Sunday at A&M to me.
There's one in every crowd!
cuzmail

by Gulf Coast Blue » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:28 pm

UmpSteve wrote:

And I found out one of my buddies umpired this series.....at no time did he notice Traina being illegal. He has been a UIC for me in a number of tournaments over the years and I did not think he could possibly miss something like this.

Joel
Gulf Coast Blue

by hogtyed » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:14 pm

MTR wrote:Simple answer: Pitch doesn't start until the hands are separated.

I completely agree with this regarding ASA, NSA, PONY, LL, NCAA, ISF, etc..., but just realized last month that there is a slight variation in NFHS. It says: The pitch starts when one hand is taken off the ball or the pitcher makes any motion that is part of the windup after the hands have been brought together.

Interesting little addition they put into their rulebook.
hogtyed

by MTR » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:44 pm

hogtyed wrote:

I completely agree with this regarding ASA, NSA, PONY, LL, NCAA, ISF, etc..., but just realized last month that there is a slight variation in NFHS. It says: The pitch starts when one hand is taken off the ball or the pitcher makes any motion that is part of the windup after the hands have been brought together.

Okay, now find a definition for "wind up"
MTR

by hogtyed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:07 am

MTR wrote:
hogtyed wrote:

Okay, now find a definition for "wind up"

You're funny! I actually looked in the rule book for that definition. Can I use a dictionary, instead? :)
hogtyed

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner