Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Earned run or not

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Daniel71475 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:00 am

I am arguing with a pitcher parent whether either of these count as earned runs against their DD.

1. a walked batter scores 2 batters later on a hit they say walked batters are not counted as earned runs

2. No outs, Batter hits a triple. The next batter hits to the the 3rd baseman who looks the runner back and throws the batter out at first. The runner on third takes off on the throw. After the out at first the 1st baseman throws home but over the catchers head. Would the runner have scored on a good throw most likely not. Next batter hits a single. Parent argues because of the error on the throw no earned run.
Daniel71475

by PDad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:28 am

Spazsdad wrote:
Daniel71475 wrote:I am arguing with a pitcher parent whether either of these count as earned runs against their DD.

1. a walked batter scores 2 batters later on a hit they say walked batters are not counted as earned runs

2. No outs, Batter hits a triple. The next batter hits to the the 3rd baseman who looks the runner back and throws the batter out at first. The runner on third takes off on the throw. After the out at first the 1st baseman throws home but over the catchers head. Would the runner have scored on a good throw most likely not. Next batter hits a single. Parent argues because of the error on the throw no earned run.

First one yes.
Second one no. You can't assume that a good throw would have gotten the runner. Also, a run is unearned If an error occurs on a play at home.

I agree the first one is earned, but I believe the second one is earned too for the following reasons:
- An error can only be charged if certain a good throw should have been made in time for a successful tag play to be made with ordinary effort by both fielders. OP indicated possibly not.
- Errors are not charged on wild throws to get a second or third out unless a runner advances an additional base because of it.

The fact that the next batter hit a single is extraneous because the runner wouldn't have still been on base for it.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Trophy Hunter » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 am

Another ER scenario, runner at 3rd, two outs, pop up foul, first baseman drops the ball. Next pitch single scores run. Run earned? (and do you record an error on 1b?)

Is this a hit? easy pop up between short and 3b, both move to make catch then both back off and watch ball drop.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by PDad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:53 am

Trophy Hunter wrote:Another ER scenario, runner at 3rd, two outs, pop up foul, first baseman drops the ball. Next pitch single scores run. Run earned? (and do you record an error on 1b?)
Errors are charged on foul balls just like fair balls because they prolong the life of the batter. The run is unearned if an error occurred because the inning should have ended on the pop-up. If it wasn't the third out, the inning would be reconstructed without anything that occurred in the AB after the error (i.e. runner still on 3rd and batter out instead of being on 1st).

Is this a hit? easy pop up between short and 3b, both move to make catch then both back off and watch ball drop.

It's a hit. An error could be charged if a fielder physically caused another fielder to drop the ball or if 2 fielders back off catching a throw at a base.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hit4power » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:46 am

I am arguing with a pitcher parent

Your first mistake... :lol:
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Makina » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Of course it's Unearned! No one could actually get an ER against my daughter.
Makina

Return to The Umpire Corner