Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Pitching Rule?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Phantomz08 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:28 am

Battle wrote:
MTR wrote:
jonriv wrote:Where are the coaches in all of this?

That is the real question. A pitcher has reached the collegiate level and still doesn't know what is and isn't legal in her delivery. And the coaches know and choose to ignore the pitcher's shortcomings in the delivery process.

You could blame the coaches but where were the umps? How does a girl go that long without getting called?
I blame the parent of the pitcher for not teaching them the correct way to do it. I know I will start calling illegal pitch so I may do my part in helping the kid in the long run. The same goes with crow hopping or re-planting. If the girl is even remotely close to replanting, I would start trying to fix that at the earliest age possible. Some parents think they will get away with it and let it to continue or fester. Wait until that day comes when the blue start calling it and imagine the lump that will be in their stomach..
If it ain't broke, why fix it??
Phantomz08
Premium Member
Premium Member

by cuzmail » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:36 am

MTR wrote: Then you may be shocked how often I see pitchers correct themselves once being called illegal.

Yes, but do they pitch with the same effectiveness? That is a more important question. Correcting the issue can be done, but correcting the issue and still maintaining the same quality of pitches is another. This is where routine and muscle memory kicks in.

Either way, it is still no excuse for the player, parents, and coaches to allow or not be aware of illegal pitches by their pitchers.

It is also no excuse why the umpires don't call it when they see it too.
There's one in every crowd!
cuzmail

by GoKorea » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:49 am

cuzmail wrote:
MTR wrote: Then you may be shocked how often I see pitchers correct themselves once being called illegal.

I had a JV Scrimmage a few weeks ago where I had called at least 20 illegal pitches in on inning and could have called more. Once the opposite team went ahead (one of those 23-22 games) I called the coaches together and told them I was not going to keep calling illegal pitches anymore. Right or wrong I wasn’t going to keep calling it in a JV Scrimmage game, so there are times to not call it.
GoKorea

by MTR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:51 am

cuzmail wrote:

Yes, but do they pitch with the same effectiveness? That is a more important question. Correcting the issue can be done, but correcting the issue and still maintaining the same quality of pitches is another. This is where routine and muscle memory kicks in.

My reference was to the pitcher KNOWING they were illegal and pitching that way (probably at the suggestion of coach/parent/both) until being called and KNOWING how to pitch legally. IOW, they were cheating.
MTR

by cuzmail » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:55 am

GoKorea wrote:
cuzmail wrote:

I had a JV Scrimmage a few weeks ago where I had called at least 20 illegal pitches in on inning and could have called more. Once the opposite team went ahead (one of those 23-22 games) I called the coaches together and told them I was not going to keep calling illegal pitches anymore. Right or wrong I wasn’t going to keep calling it in a JV Scrimmage game, so there are times to not call it.

Totally understandable. I applaud your effort. My point was more to the fact that it doesn't get called as much as it probably should and not necessarily the number of times it is called during a game. I do see where calling it 20 times becomes an issue itself! :lol:
cuzmail

by cuzmail » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:58 am

MTR wrote:
cuzmail wrote:

My reference was to the pitcher KNOWING they were illegal and pitching that way (probably at the suggestion of coach/parent/both) until being called and KNOWING how to pitch legally. IOW, they were cheating.

Agreed and that is what the second half of my post @ 11:36a that was cut off in the quote above addresses. It said:
"Either way, it is still no excuse for the player, parents, and coaches to allow or not be aware of illegal pitches by their pitchers.

It is also no excuse why the umpires don't call it when they see it too."

Not sure if it is always intentional cheating or not, but I once had a District Attorney teach us in class that "ignorance of the law was not an excuse". That applies here too. :)
cuzmail

by ontheblack » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 am

MTR wrote:
cuzmail wrote:

Yeah, that happens all the time. Some of girls are so freaking devious and others are pawns of parents and coaches.
ontheblack

by Diesels_dad » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:16 am

ontheblack wrote:
MTR wrote:
cuzmail wrote:

Yeah, that happens all the time. Some of girls are so freaking devious and others are pawns of parents and coaches.

NIce.....I do enjoy your sense of humor n comments (even the ones directed at me) :lol: :lol:
Diesels_dad

by ontheblack » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:05 am

Diesels_dad wrote:
ontheblack wrote:
MTR wrote:
cuzmail wrote:

NIce.....I do enjoy your sense of humor n comments (even the ones directed at me) :lol: :lol:

Sorry DD. I think its a carry over from when I was first Skarped as a HB newbie.
ontheblack

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner