Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

infield fly rule

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by jksdad » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:17 am

We were at nationals in York PA. The batter hit a infield fly runners stayed on base. The shortstop dropped the ball the runner at second ran and was out at third. Then the umpires said the runner at first was out on the infield fly rule. My question, the umpires didn't say anything they just held up there arms. I thought they had to say something to let everyone know what there call is.
jksdad

by hit4power » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:26 am

For better or worse, there's no requirement for a verbal call of IFF.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:56 am

jksdad wrote:We were at nationals in York PA. The batter hit a infield fly runners stayed on base. The shortstop dropped the ball the runner at second ran and was out at third. Then the umpires said the runner at first was out on the infield fly rule. My question, the umpires didn't say anything they just held up there arms. I thought they had to say something to let everyone know what there call is.

Few questions from your description of the play. Was the runner advancing to 3rd tagged prior to reaching 3rd base, or did they just throw the ball to 3rd and touch the base? In an IFF situation, the force is removed and the runner would have to have been tagged to be put out. Also, you say the runner on 1st was called out? Am I correct in assuming you are talking about the batter who was now standing on 1st after the ball was dropped? In other words, both runners on 1st and 2nd advanced when the ball was dropped?
Comp

by MTR » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:14 pm

jksdad wrote:We were at nationals in York PA. The batter hit a infield fly runners stayed on base. The shortstop dropped the ball the runner at second ran and was out at third. Then the umpires said the runner at first was out on the infield fly rule. My question, the umpires didn't say anything they just held up there arms. I thought they had to say something to let everyone know what there call is.

I don't know. The IF is a pretty standard call. Then again, I've often heard umpires make verbal calls only to get screamed at because some putz couldn't hear them over the players, coaches and spectators.
MTR

by jksdad » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:41 pm

They did tag the runner going to third. Yes the batter was also out. The runner from first to second was the only one safe at second.
jksdad

by MTR » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:50 pm

jksdad wrote:They did tag the runner going to third. Yes the batter was also out. The runner from first to second was the only one safe at second.

So, they got it right.
MTR

by jksdad » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:30 am

MTR wrote:
jksdad wrote:They did tag the runner going to third. Yes the batter was also out. The runner from first to second was the only one safe at second.

So, they got it right.

Yes they got the call right. This was the first time I had umpires not calling IF verbally.
jksdad

Return to The Umpire Corner