Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Runner Interferance or Live ball

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:18 pm

2bucketdad wrote:With one out and I have runners on 1st and second my batter would be out but if the catcher throws the ball and hits the runner as she is running it out to first my runners advance...the batter runner is out and the runners get all they can get no dead ball unless the ball that hit the batter runner goes into dead ball territory then the runners get 2 bases...right?

Huh?

Speaking ASA

The only way the BR could be ruled out if hit by a throw would be if s/he interfered with the fielder receiving the ball at 1B. If that were the case, the ball is dead and all runners are returned to the base last touched at the time of the INT
MTR

by 2bucketdad » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:05 pm

MTR wrote:
2bucketdad wrote:With one out and I have runners on 1st and second my batter would be out but if the catcher throws the ball and hits the runner as she is running it out to first my runners advance...the batter runner is out and the runners get all they can get no dead ball unless the ball that hit the batter runner goes into dead ball territory then the runners get 2 bases...right?

Huh?

Speaking ASA

The only way the BR could be ruled out if hit by a throw would be if s/he interfered with the fielder receiving the ball at 1B. If that were the case, the ball is dead and all runners are returned to the base last touched at the time of the INT

BR was out anyway on a dropped 3rd strike without less than 2 outs and a runner on first...so the if the catcher was throwing to get the base runner comming back to first or mistakenly throwing to first because of the dropped 3rd strike when the ball hits the BR that was already out it is a live ball...or am I missing something...I bettewr reread sometimes I am alittle slow...
2bucketdad

by Comp » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:57 pm

2bucketdad wrote:
MTR wrote:

Huh?

Speaking ASA

BR was out anyway on a dropped 3rd strike without less than 2 outs and a runner on first...so the if the catcher was throwing to get the base runner comming back to first or mistakenly throwing to first because of the dropped 3rd strike when the ball hits the BR that was already out it is a live ball...or am I missing something...I bettewr reread sometimes I am alittle slow...

If the catcher was attempting to pick off the runner returning to 1st and the batter who just struck out and is running interferes with the play, then you have a retired batter who has interfered, the ball is dead and the runner closest to home would be ruled out. If on the other hand the runners are advancing and the catcher is attempting to throw out the br, there is no play to be made and the catcher should have known better. This would be a live ball.
Comp

by MTR » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:07 pm

2bucketdad wrote:BR was out anyway on a dropped 3rd strike without less than 2 outs and a runner on first

No, there never was a BR and I fell for the use of the wrong term.

...so the if the catcher was throwing to get the base runner comming back to first or mistakenly throwing to first because of the dropped 3rd strike when the ball hits the BR that was already out it is a live ball...or am I missing something...I bettewr reread sometimes I am alittle slow...

Again, there is no BR, but if the umpire rules INT for whatever reason, the ball is dead and runners return.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner