Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

DP/Flex and use of Courtesy Runners

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Crabby_Bob » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:09 pm

If you use the Flex to play offense for your DP, the DP has left the game. The DP can return if she has a reentry remaining. If not, she's done. You won't be able to do what you're proposing in an ASA game if the umpire is paying any attention whatsoever.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Anti-Clone » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:34 am

Just remember:

10 Players + Use of the DP/Flex = No Courtesy Runner (in most codes).
Anti-Clone

by Fredegar » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:28 am

tonywold wrote:We are thinking of having our pitcher be the DP and our LF be the flex, if we have the DP (pitcher) hit and she gets on base can the flex run for her? Does this count as a substitution....ie, could we do this 3 times in one game if the DP made it on base each time?

As CrabbyBob said, yes, it counts as a substitution to have your Flex run for the DP on offense. So you could NOT do this 3 times in a game, as you suggest. But you COULD do it 2 times in a game, because both starters (DP and Flex) have a re-entry. And assuming your DP doesn't go 3-for-3, subbing in 1 or 2 times may be enough for this to be effective. Of course, when the Flex runs for the DP the 2nd time, the DP is out of the game.
Fredegar

by BearFlagFan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Fredegar wrote:
tonywold wrote:We are thinking of having our pitcher be the DP and our LF be the flex, if we have the DP (pitcher) hit and she gets on base can the flex run for her? Does this count as a substitution....ie, could we do this 3 times in one game if the DP made it on base each time?

As CrabbyBob said, yes, it counts as a substitution to have your Flex run for the DP on offense. So you could NOT do this 3 times in a game, as you suggest. But you COULD do it 2 times in a game, because both starters (DP and Flex) have a re-entry. And assuming your DP doesn't go 3-for-3, subbing in 1 or 2 times may be enough for this to be effective. Of course, when the Flex runs for the DP the 2nd time, the DP is out of the game.

If you don't want to lose your starting pitcher, you will only be able to sub the Flex in once for her. The second time she's now out for the game. You might as well bat straight 9 with one as a substitute. In that way you can CR the sub every time for the pitcher. But that would be ASA tournament rules. If you only have 10 on the roster you have to decide which is more important, have a CR for your pitcher or catcher, or playing everyone. I've seen both approaches in 18G so its really based on the talent.

One warning: If you have DP/Flex and only 10 players, and a player other than the DP is injured and can't continue, you will have to take an Out when its the injured player's turn at bat. This is also true once the sub goes in for a player. But unit then the sub can go straight from CR to sub in an injury situation.
BearFlagFan

by narcosis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Excuse me for jumping the post but I have a similar question. Under ASA rules can a sub come in as a CR say for the catcher, the catcher comes back into the game on defense and the same CR go in as a sub for anyother player?. Thanks and once again excuse me for the post jump.
narcosis

by Crabby_Bob » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:59 pm

narcosis wrote:Excuse me for jumping the post but I have a similar question. Under ASA rules can a sub come in as a CR say for the catcher, the catcher comes back into the game on defense and the same CR go in as a sub for anyother player?. Thanks and once again excuse me for the post jump.

If your available substitute has been a courtesy runner for the catcher, she can CR for any of your platoon of catchers as long as she does not enter the game as a substitute. Once a substitute has been put in the game, she can no longer be used as a courtesy runner.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Fredegar » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

narcosis wrote:Excuse me for jumping the post but I have a similar question. Under ASA rules can a sub come in as a CR say for the catcher, the catcher comes back into the game on defense and the same CR go in as a sub for anyother player?. Thanks and once again excuse me for the post jump.

Might be wrong, but not sure Crabby_Bob answered the question as asked. Yes, a CR (for pitcher or catcher) is still free to be an official substitute for any player.
Fredegar

by Crabby_Bob » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Fred is right. I answered a different question. Must.not.post.when.it's. late.
Crabby_Bob

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Hold on thar Bobalouie ... As I read your query I am wondering if you are confusing 'substitute' and 'courtesy runner' ... They are two different animals ... A CR is a CR and a sub is a sub ... A CR does not 'remove' a player from the game while a sub does ... So a courtesy runner can be used as a sub later in the game, thus removing the player she is subbing for ... Each player, whether a sub or starter can re-enter once ... Or she can be used multiple times as a CR without removing the player she is CRing for or using up any of her eligibility to enter the game twice ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:14 pm

This is where semantics become the issue because some are too loose with the terminology.

Speaking ASA

A CR is a player who has yet to enter the line-up. A CR may run for the pitcher or the catcher, but never both during that game. It is NOT a substitution and may be repeated as often as possible as long as all the condition are met. A CR may NOT be used as a substitute in the same half-inning in which the player acted as a CR (there is an exception, but that's another thread)

The FLEX may enter the batting order for the DP and it is NOT a substitute. However, since the DP has left the game, when s/he re-enters the batting order, that is considered the one allowable re-entry.

If at any time the FLEX does not partake in the defensive half of the team's inning, the FLEX has left the game and when s/he re-enters the game whether on defense, offense or both, that is considered the one allowable re-entry.

None of these fall under the definition of a substitute or substitution.
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner