Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Illegal Pitches

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:06 am

HugoTafurst wrote:
rickdav24 wrote:How much Illegal Pitches is to Much for an umpire to call during a Single game. SoCal Finest (Feed a Family). One game and that game was all about a Field Umpire all about her. Fourteen (14) Illegal pitches called in One Game I've never called that many in 5yrs umpiring (6). Our Pitcher Never changed a thing and yet it was a hit and miss calls when she wanted to call it. Why waste a Time-Out when they give you NO Correction and it was all about her that game. Like they had to prove something to everyone. Pitcher was never taking gaining an advantage on the batters and the other coaches on the other team never thought she was Illegall pitching. Lefty Pitcher left foot was pivoting into the pitching mound and she said she was losing contact......How about a shadow I guess she's never heard of that. She drags her foot ......inside of her shoe both the heel and inside toe.......Its a shame that an umpire needs to bring their 18 yrs of experience into a game and take control thaty way. Pitcher was never the same after......I could understand States/Nationals but really it's just Pool Games. WoW!!!!!!

I'm having a little trouble understanding what actually happened, but if she is illegal, call it.
That doesn't make the game about the umpire, that is the umpire doing her job.
If the pitcher can not fix the problem, get a new pitcher.
Why blame the umpire for the pitchers lack of ability to pitch legally?

Not trying to be sarcastic, but what do you exoxpect an umpire to do if the pitcher can not hit the strike zone, call pitches not in the zone strikes?

Wellll, not that I would normally bring this up. But, now that you brought it up, how much would such a courtesy cost a pitchers dad?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:
HugoTafurst wrote:
rickdav24 wrote:How much Illegal Pitches is to Much for an umpire to call during a Single game. SoCal Finest (Feed a Family). One game and that game was all about a Field Umpire all about her. Fourteen (14) Illegal pitches called in One Game I've never called that many in 5yrs umpiring (6). Our Pitcher Never changed a thing and yet it was a hit and miss calls when she wanted to call it. Why waste a Time-Out when they give you NO Correction and it was all about her that game. Like they had to prove something to everyone. Pitcher was never taking gaining an advantage on the batters and the other coaches on the other team never thought she was Illegall pitching. Lefty Pitcher left foot was pivoting into the pitching mound and she said she was losing contact......How about a shadow I guess she's never heard of that. She drags her foot ......inside of her shoe both the heel and inside toe.......Its a shame that an umpire needs to bring their 18 yrs of experience into a game and take control thaty way. Pitcher was never the same after......I could understand States/Nationals but really it's just Pool Games. WoW!!!!!!

I'm having a little trouble understanding what actually happened, but if she is illegal, call it.
That doesn't make the game about the umpire, that is the umpire doing her job.
If the pitcher can not fix the problem, get a new pitcher.
Why blame the umpire for the pitchers lack of ability to pitch legally?

Not trying to be sarcastic, but what do you exoxpect an umpire to do if the pitcher can not hit the strike zone, call pitches not in the zone strikes?

Wellll, not that I would normally bring this up. But, now that you brought it up, how much would such a courtesy cost a pitchers dad?

Priceless..................
jonriv

by tcannizzo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:37 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:How do you keep from laughing?

Who says we do?
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by ontheblack » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 am

Spazsdad wrote:
rickdav24 wrote:How much Illegal Pitches is to Much for an umpire to call during a Single game.
They should call every one they see
SoCal Finest (Feed a Family). One game and that game was all about a Field Umpire all about her. Fourteen (14) Illegal pitches called in One Game I've never called that many in 5yrs umpiring (6).
Your coach should have made a pitching change before it got to that point.
Our Pitcher Never changed a thing and yet it was a hit and miss calls when she wanted to call it.
Many times based on where the BU is positioned they have a better view of the infraction than others.
Why waste a Time-Out when they give you NO Correction and it was all about her that game. Like they had to prove something to everyone.
It is not the umpires job to give instruction
Pitcher was never taking gaining an advantage on the batters and the other coaches on the other team never thought she was Illegall pitching.
Neither of those items are a requirement for an IP to be called.
Lefty Pitcher left foot was pivoting into the pitching mound and she said she was losing contact......
Then that is by definition an IP.
How about a shadow I guess she's never heard of that. She drags her foot ......inside of her shoe both the heel and inside toe.......Its a shame that an umpire needs to bring their 18 yrs of experience into a game and take control thaty way.
Pitcher was never the same after......I could understand States/Nationals but really it's just Pool Games. WoW!!!!!!

And therein lies the problem that we have had to deal with all along. Umpires would never call it until Nationals and then it was too late to correct the improper mechanic. I would think you would be happier knowing now in December so that your kid has time to work on correcting her problem before it costs you in a big game.

My kid said the same thing as Spaz, but her first pitching coach was anal about correct mechanics, crow hopping, etc. The kids who dont IP have no sympathy for those that get caught, regardless of the number of times in a game.

As for "it's just Pool Games", why should that make a difference? The umpire was either making the correct call or not. If correct, then the 14 IPs is on you for leaving your pitcher out there, and/or not understanding enough about pitching to help her make the needed adjustment. Personally I think for you its the latter since you wrote "Why waste a Time-Out when they give you NO Correction", then you came back with "It is not the umpires job to give instruction".

You cant have it both ways.
ontheblack

by MTR » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:01 am

Of course, this reflects somewhat on the debacle of NCAA ball a couple years ago. The umpires were not calling the IPs and got hammered. They were instructed to call the IPs and were hammered. They were told to ease up and be sure, they did and still got hammered.

Even the Talking Heads ran replays pointing out why the pitch was called illegal and by the end of most games they were complaining about the umpires calling the IPs.

I think it was Kenzie Fowler who got nailed with the IPs. Candrea, who was/is instrumental in rules for NCAA, came unglued and like other coaches never argued that the pitches weren't illegal, but that the umpires were calling them.

In one interview, Fowler stated that no one called her illegal during the season though the NCAA stats showed that there were numerous IPs called during that season.

Agree or not, an NCAA coach knows damn well if their pitchers are throwing illegal and THEY choose not to correct the situation and then opt to blame everyone, but themselves when they and their pitchers get caught.

I can state with confidence that if the IP was removed from the rule book, every umpire would celebrate in whatever manner they could/would. Umpires don't like making those type of calls, but that is why they are out there. The NCAA doesn't like the rules to be called, get rid of the rule, it is that simple. There will be no arguments from the officiating side.
MTR

by ontheblack » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:33 pm

My bad.

But still no excuse to be coaching 16s and not have enough of a clue to understand the adjustment needed and then leave your pitcher in that situation. Pull her for an inning if necessary, but to subject your player to 14 IP calls and blame it on blue is pathetic. Coaches tell players to make the adjustment - so should they.
ontheblack

by artomatic » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Trying to read and comprehend this post hurts my brain.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by anonlooker » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:46 pm

artomatic wrote:

Trying to read and comprehend this post hurts my brain.

And that's saying a lot! ;) :lol:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by Crabby_Bob » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:55 pm

MTR wrote: [...]In one interview, Fowler stated that no one called her illegal during the season though the NCAA stats showed that there were numerous IPs called during that season.

It's my understanding that IPs get scored in the book only if a runner advances. If so, she was likely guilty of many more.

artomatic wrote:Trying to read and comprehend this post hurts my brain.

Feels better when you stop. ;)
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Makina » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:34 pm

MTR you are so correct about the Arizona Kenzie Fowler IP debacle. Even Michelle Smith was blaming the umpires in the youth leagues for Fowler's IP's. She was basically saying that they don't call the IP's in the youth leagues and therefore Fowler had continued with the habit. Well M. Smith - in Rec. ball they usually only have one Blue behind the plate and unless the leap is extremely noticeable, its very hard to call from behind the plate. So it may not be a function of the blues not calling it, but only being a single mechanic and therefore it was not noticed every time she did it.

If you were to argue well in travel/showcases there are two blues and it should have been called in these tournaments. The blues are actually instructed to give as much latitude as possible with IP's and therefore it does not get called. I usually advise the coach of the issue and tell them in a tournament I would call the IP, they are usually very appreciative. Thus it goes back on the pitching coach to ensure that their student is pitching legally!!

For tournaments, pool or bracket play the IP should be called every time, whether it is Nationals or just some small tournament. Otherwise why have the rule!!
Makina

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner