Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Grunting Pitcher

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Jolstersz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:44 am

Is there any rule that a pitcher can or cannot grunt when pitching?
Jolstersz

by tcannizzo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:37 am

Nope. That would violate the 1st Amendment. :roll:

There was a pitching instructor in the 90's that taught his pitchers to say "Hit THIS!"
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by CrushersDad » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:38 am

Really???? :lol:
CrushersDad

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:45 pm

True funny story ... There is a pitcher in these parts that cries ... caws .. chirps ... (whatever) like a seagull when she pitches ... There is also a very good umpire who sounds as if he sprung a leak when he calls a strike ... We faced that pitcher and had him behind the dish last year and no one could keep a straight face ... :lol: :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by tcannizzo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:08 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote: ... There is also a very good umpire who sounds as if he sprung a leak when he calls a strike ...

What does that sound like?

I remember a pretty good umpire who strike call took at least 5 seconds. Wasn't very loud, but he started as a baritone and continued up just a little, but the whole thing sounded like turbine engine starting up in slow-motion.

I think his name was Wayne. Steve, do you remember this guy? - he was slow pitch back in the late 80's. He called church league in E. Cobb.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
tcannizzo

by Comp » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:59 pm

No rule against it.

Daughter played a game in college against a pitcher that screamed so loud on release it was obnoxious. 1/2 way through the second game of a double header I couldnt take it anymore and left. Parking lot was at least 1,000' from the field and I could still hear her in the parking lot.

Saw another girl that pitched for a midwest college team that did a double grunt/scream. She made a loud grunt on release and then a scream as the ball crossed the plate.
Comp

by Goldcoloredglasses » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Depending on the kid that expulsion of breath or (grunt) can be effective. It's like " I'm giving it my all...watch out".
Not for everyone but if it helps...even mentally....then cool
Goldcoloredglasses

by aformrduner » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 pm

I like the scream/yell followed by a spastic twitching motion after release. :roll:
aformrduner

by tcannizzo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Actually, it is advantage to batter as they get an audible cue to assist with timing.

As to that picture, a few things:
- with those mechanics, no wonder she is screaming in pain
- the pitch is illegal
- she caught a line drive in her bare hand
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
tcannizzo

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:22 am

tcannizzo wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote: ... There is also a very good umpire who sounds as if he sprung a leak when he calls a strike ...

What does that sound like?
I remember a pretty good umpire who strike call took at least 5 seconds. Wasn't very loud, but he started as a baritone and continued up just a little, but the whole thing sounded like turbine engine starting up in slow-motion.

I think his name was Wayne. Steve, do you remember this guy? - he was slow pitch back in the late 80's. He called church league in E. Cobb.

Just as a disclaimer, this Umpire is very good ... One of the best we see all summer ... He's an older black man ( 55-60 ) but I don't recall his name ... Well, you know what an air leak on a tire sounds like ... Have you ever run over something large enough that the air comes out rapidly, but not so fast as a blow out ? ... Or try this, open your mouth as wide as you can and blow the air out of your lungs ... a little deeper than that, like from the diaphram ... Then, half way through the word 'strike', as you are almost out of air ... turn it into a two syllable word and end with 'ike' ... That's how he sounds :lol:

As far as the seagull noise ... I'm sure you've heard a gull ... Hers is just one sharp high pitched cry ( aaawwwwww ), not like a crow ( caw-caw )
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner