Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Defacing the Ball

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:13 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I've never noticed a 'lubricant' on a new ball ... What manufacturer does that ? ...

Prior to packaging softballs are sprayed with a nice coating to make them pretty. Don't think it is a lubricant, but it does it's job by coating each ball.

And I have NEVER seen a softball Umpire rub down a new ball before putting it in the game, including myself ... To do so would be presumptuous ...

I do all the time for more than 40 years now. New ball doesn't go through my hands without being rubbed down.

Then there you have it ... I stand corrected ... MTR is behind the dish, another ball goes out of play and his bag is depleted ... He asks for another ball and upon receiving one from the home team halts play while he is rubbing down the ball ... :roll:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:07 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Then there you have it ... I stand corrected ... MTR is behind the dish, another ball goes out of play and his bag is depleted ... He asks for another ball and upon receiving one from the home team halts play while he is rubbing down the ball ... :roll:

Yeah, it's called doing the job for which you are paid.
MTR

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:30 am

Better to have the umpire rub the sheen off. If you give it to a smart pitcher she is going to rub it off. Give it to a less informed pitcher and you may get a batter unnecessarily injured.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by genbender69 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:31 am

Just saw an umpire in Vegas 18Gold take the new game balls drop them in the dirt and began spinning the balls with her feet to scuff them up or wear off the coating...First time I have ever saw that.
genbender69

by MTR » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:59 pm

genbender69 wrote:Just saw an umpire in Vegas 18Gold take the new game balls drop them in the dirt and began spinning the balls with her feet to scuff them up or wear off the coating...First time I have ever saw that.

I wouldn't recommend that method, but the idea is right.
MTR

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner