Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

play at homeplate

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by FEman » Thu May 26, 2011 1:32 pm

What’s the rule for a play at home and sliding? Does the runner have to slide on a close play or can they plow into the catcher like baseball. Why were at it what’s the rule at 2nd in breaking up a double play for the runner going to second?

Thanks
FEman

by hit4power » Thu May 26, 2011 2:36 pm

I don't believe there are any rules that require a runner to slide into any base. That said, there are rules that cover obstruction and malicious crashes. A collision at home plate could be nothing, could be obstruction on the catcher, or could result in the runner being called for a malicious crash. It would depend on the specifics of the situation and the umpire's judgement.

Additionally, there are rules that proscribe runners or a retired runner from interfering with continuing play. So a runner on her way to 2B could be called for interference, either before or after she is forced out, if in the umpire's judgement, she commited an act that interfered with the fielder's opportunity to retire either her or another runner or the batter-runner. There is also a rule that describes a legal slide.

Personally, I've only seen interference called once on a runner headed into 2B and that was when she obviously altered her path to get into the throwing lane that the shortstop was trying use to throw to 1B to complete a DP attempt.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DP3816 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:50 pm

They don't have to slide but they cannot run into the catcher in an effort to dislodge the ball either.
DP3816

by MTR » Thu May 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Speaking ASA

FEman wrote:What’s the rule for a play at home and sliding?

No

Does the runner have to slide on a close play

No

or can they plow into the catcher like baseball.

No

Why were at it what’s the rule at 2nd in breaking up a double play for the runner going to second?

There isn't
MTR

by triplecrown » Thu May 26, 2011 6:36 pm

So someone tell me what is a runner to do with a catcher planted up the line blocking plate with ball still in route. You cant run through them, you cant go from a full sprint and stop, you cant slide into them as that is brutal on body and you will come up short. So you have to go completely around them (which is obstruction that is never called.) Why is this not enforced better and why are not coachs teaching catchers to be in a position to field the throw and then block plate, i see it time and time again...
triplecrown

by IllinoisDad » Fri May 27, 2011 6:56 am

triplecrown wrote:So someone tell me what is a runner to do with a catcher planted up the line blocking plate with ball still in route. You cant run through them, you cant go from a full sprint and stop, you cant slide into them as that is brutal on body and you will come up short. So you have to go completely around them (which is obstruction that is never called.) Why is this not enforced better and why are not coachs teaching catchers to be in a position to field the throw and then block plate, i see it time and time again...

Hook slide. I have seen it done many times.
IllinoisDad

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:04 am

So someone tell me what is a runner to do with a catcher planted up the line blocking plate with ball still in route. You cant run through them,

Obstruction by the catcher. Rule 8, section... 5, I think. The catcher cannot stand in the base running path without the ball... obstructing the runner.

And... for the follow-on question... if the catcher has the ball it is not legal to plow into the catcher. If anyone needs to understand "why", ask Buster Posey.
fasterpitch92701

by SnocatzDad » Fri May 27, 2011 7:15 am

Problem with hook slding is that it essentially lets the catcher and umpire off the hook for obstruction. You can argue that the player was going to hook slide anyway so the catcher blocking the plate didn't cause the runner to change course so no obstruction. Reality is that a hook slide to avoid a tag when catcher is set up or drawn by the throw to the 1B side is a smart play. A hook slide to avoid a collision with a catcher camped on the plate without the ball is a sign that

#1 Obstruction isn't being called enough and it's enough of an epidemic that more coaches than not teach their catchers to block the plate.

#2 Way too many baseball coaches/umpires are involved in softball. I get the impression that in the areas where the sports differ there are many who want them treated the same in order to improve the sport which is funny because there are some on the baseball side who seem to be arguing that maybe taking out the catcher at home plate and the SS on a double play doesn't 100% need to be part of the sport. I know the Twins have a SS that came over from Japan that didn't understand our rule intrepetations for MLB quite clearly enough (probably a language barrier :)) and had his leg snapped when a runner took him out to stop a double play. He didn't get that it's an important part of the sport to not only interfere with a fielder but cause them grave bodily harm when possible.

I guess it's that kind of dualism that makes America great, kind of like nearly making it illegal to smoke cigarrettes while simultaneously trying to legalize marijuana.
SnocatzDad

by triplecrown » Fri May 27, 2011 11:43 am

IllinoisDad wrote:
triplecrown wrote:So someone tell me what is a runner to do with a catcher planted up the line blocking plate with ball still in route. You cant run through them, you cant go from a full sprint and stop, you cant slide into them as that is brutal on body and you will come up short. So you have to go completely around them (which is obstruction that is never called.) Why is this not enforced better and why are not coachs teaching catchers to be in a position to field the throw and then block plate, i see it time and time again...

Hook slide. I have seen it done many times.

That is EXACTLY my point, and that is what catcher wants you to do, take the longest route to the plate, therefore allowing the defense that extra couple tenths to complete the play. I hate the play, seen too many injuries and near disasters, and coachs need to do a better job of instruction on the play, and umpires need to do a MUCH better job of recognizing this. Because if its about not allowing a run to score at all cost, even if it means injury, your doing it for the wrong reason, im sorry
triplecrown

by tcannizzo » Fri May 27, 2011 11:52 am

By rule, OBS requires that a runner is impeded by defender without ball; NOT just that the defender without the ball is blocking plate/base.

Every situation is different and surely HTBT, but if R is approaching plate (or any base for that matter) and she sees it is being blocked by a defender who is not in possession/control of the ball, that runner should make it "perceptible" that she is being impeded by said defender.

OBS will not be called if Ump does not see perceptible impediment which can be the case many times if R simply makes a minor adjustment in her chosen base path.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner