Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

12U Player Ejection

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by B-Dad » Wed May 25, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm curious how many of you have firsthand knowledge of a 12U player getting ejected from a game? I am not looking to disparage the team or player who did this. Although I probably should, a player from our team played two years with them and we know this sort of thing is taught. Anyway I will not provide any specifics of where this was.

Situation was this:
Team A is having some success throwing a pitcher who hits her spots pretty well (no movement pitches) and is a slower pitcher. Team B was up 2-0 in something like the 3rd or 4th inning. Team B struggles hitting against her and obviously getting frustrated (seemed like they expected to run rule Team A). Two outs with Team B at bat and R1 on first. Easily fielded grounder hit to F6 (between SS and 2B) with underhand toss to F4 for third out. F4 steps off the bag well before R1 gets there and R1 slides, spikes up, and takes out the F4. The F4's feet go out from under her and she lands on her side on top of R1. R1 is ejected from the game for the incident. Team B coach asks for UIC to challenge the ejection. In what seems like the 10 min tending to the injured player and arguing the ejection the UIC still does not make it to the field. PU demands the game get back to play even though the UIC has not made it. Team B had 11 players and previously substituted in 2 from the bench. Team B is allowed to finish the game with 8 and ends up winning that game and the tournament (ejected player plays in subsequent games).

After the game Team A coach is told from another umpire (not working) that ASA rules requires Team B to finish with 9 and finds UIC to question if Team B should be eliminated. Team A coach told that they had to state they are playing under protest and addressed the issue when UIC made it over. Team A coach is told there is nothing that could be done at that point.

Playing in single elimination bracket play in ASA/USA Nat Qualifier.

Questions are:
1) Is ejected player allowed to play in subsequent games.
2) What is/are the rule/rules that deals with this situation (basically did everything happen correctly)?
3) If it is true Team B can not finish with 8 in this circumstance, Team A coach did not know that rule at the time. Should the PU make the call that Team B has to forfeit?
4) If everything did not happen correctly, what should have happened?
5) If everything did not happen correctly, is the ASA/USA National Bid potentially affected?
B-Dad

by MTR » Wed May 25, 2011 5:14 pm

B-Dad wrote:Situation was this:
Team A is having some success throwing a pitcher who hits her spots pretty well (no movement pitches) and is a slower pitcher. Team B was up 2-0 in something like the 3rd or 4th inning. Team B struggles hitting against her and obviously getting frustrated (seemed like they expected to run rule Team A). Two outs with Team B at bat and R1 on first. Easily fielded grounder hit to F6 (between SS and 2B) with underhand toss to F4 for third out. F4 steps off the bag well before R1 gets there and R1 slides, spikes up, and takes out the F4. The F4's feet go out from under her and she lands on her side on top of R1. R1 is ejected from the game for the incident. Team B coach asks for UIC to challenge the ejection.

As a UIC, I would talk to the umpire, but there is absolutely no way I would reverse (not that I could) his/her decision. As an umpire, if a UIC even considered doing such a thing, that would be the last game I would work for him/her.

In what seems like the 10 min tending to the injured player and arguing the ejection the UIC still does not make it to the field. PU demands the game get back to play even though the UIC has not made it. Team B had 11 players and previously substituted in 2 from the bench. Team B is allowed to finish the game with 8 and ends up winning that game and the tournament (ejected player plays in subsequent games).

No, they would not have finished the game with 8. Team is not permitted to play shorthanded caused by an ejection. The game is over at the time of the ejection.

After the game Team A coach is told from another umpire (not working) that ASA rules requires Team B to finish with 9 and finds UIC to question if Team B should be eliminated. Team A coach told that they had to state they are playing under protest and addressed the issue when UIC made it over. Team A coach is told there is nothing that could be done at that point.

Actually, this could easily be corrected by forfeiting the game and advance Team A.

Questions are:
1) Is ejected player allowed to play in subsequent games.

Yes

2) What is/are the rule/rules that deals with this situation (basically did everything happen correctly)?
3) If it is true Team B can not finish with 8 in this circumstance, Team A coach did not know that rule at the time. Should the PU make the call that Team B has to forfeit?
4) If everything did not happen correctly, what should have happened?
5) If everything did not happen correctly, is the ASA/USA National Bid potentially affected?
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner