Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Odd DP/Flex situation

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by slapperdad » Wed May 18, 2011 11:37 am

I have two players who I want to bat the whole game, one girl I don't want to play D, the other I want as my starting pitcher. My plan is this, turn in my lineup with the hitter on listed as the starting pitcher. Then prior to taking the field, inserting the DP to pitch.

My question is this, under NF code is this legal? I can't find anything in the rule book that says I can't. I've asked 4 different umpires and they're split 50/50. One told me it was in the case book, but I don't have a casebook handy.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by ajaywill » Wed May 18, 2011 12:27 pm

The DP has a spot in the batting order and is not required to play defense.

If I read your question correctly, all you need to do is list the player you don't want on defense as your DP. Place the other player you want to hit in the batting order and place a player you don't want to hit as the FLEX player.

It sounds like you are trying to overthink this....
ajaywill

by SnocatzDad » Wed May 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Only reason I can see for doing what you are doing is to manipulate who you can CR for in the top of the 1st if your the visitor. I believe some sanctions require that pitcher and catcher listed on the lineup card (for visiting team) take at least a pitch at those positions in the bottom of the first.
SnocatzDad

by MTR » Wed May 18, 2011 6:46 pm

ajaywill wrote:The DP has a spot in the batting order and is not required to play defense.

If I read your question correctly, all you need to do is list the player you don't want on defense as your DP. Place the other player you want to hit in the batting order and place a player you don't want to hit as the FLEX player.

It sounds like you are trying to overthink this....

I agree. Trying to get fancy to achieve something so simple can only get you in trouble.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 19, 2011 6:21 am

slapperdad wrote:I have two players who I want to bat the whole game, one girl I don't want to play D, the other I want as my starting pitcher. My plan is this, turn in my lineup with the hitter on listed as the starting pitcher. Then prior to taking the field, inserting the DP to pitch.

My question is this, under NF code is this legal? I can't find anything in the rule book that says I can't. I've asked 4 different umpires and they're split 50/50. One told me it was in the case book, but I don't have a casebook handy.

If you have two players you want to bat the whole game you can not use the DP / Flex ... If the Flex bats for the DP, the DP has left the game and has only one re-entry ... If you do this the DP will only get to bat twice before she is finished ... Remember, they can BOTH play defense at the same time, but if the DP plays defense for the FLEX then the FLEX has left the game ... They both CAN NOT play offense at the same time ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by PDad » Thu May 19, 2011 8:08 am

SnocatzDad wrote:Only reason I can see for doing what you are doing is to manipulate who you can CR for in the top of the 1st if your the visitor. I believe some sanctions require that pitcher and catcher listed on the lineup card (for visiting team) take at least a pitch at those positions in the bottom of the first.

NFHS 8-9-2: In the top of the first inning only, the pitcher and catcher are identified as those players listed on the lineup as the pitcher and catcher; both must face at least the first batter on defense (one pitch).

Conventional thinking is to put the player that only bats as the DP when in reality the DP can play defense every inning and anyone, other than the Flex, can stay in the line-up without playing defense. You should choose the player to be DP based on them being connected in the line-up to the Flex (e.g. Flex batting or running).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slapperdad » Thu May 19, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks, PDad.

There was a method to my madness, I just don't feel like typing everything out.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by HugoTafurst » Thu May 19, 2011 1:30 pm

SnocatzDad wrote:(snip)NFHS 8-9-2: In the top of the first inning only, the pitcher and catcher are identified as those players listed on the lineup as the pitcher and catcher; both must face at least the first batter on defense (one pitch).
(snip)

However there are many knowledgeble NFHS umpires who will tell you that it only applies IF a CR actually runs in the top of the first.

Can't give you any back up at the moment, but if you need it, I'll look it up when I get a chance..

For starters, note that 8-9-2 is part of the CR rule.

Also note that these two case book plays describe an F1 listed on the line-up card who did not pitch to a batter.
3.3.5 SITUATION A: Before the game, but after lineups have been given to the
plate umpire, the home coach withdraws F1 from the contest for disciplinary reasons.
S1 is the home pitcher for the first three innings. The home coach then
informs the plate umpire that F1 will come into the game to pitch in the top of the
fourth inning. RULING: Legal. F1 is entitled one re-entry as any other player and
she may re-enter to pitch. (3-1-3; 3-3-1)
3.3.5 SITUATION B: While taking her warm-up throws prior to facing the first
batter of the game, F1 pulls a muscle in her lower back and is unable to pitch.
RULING: F1 may re-enter the game as pitcher, provided she does not violate the
substitution or charged conference rule. (3-1-3; 3-3-2)

As I understand it, the rule in NFHS used to require F1 to face the 1st batter, but that was changed.
HugoTafurst

by ASAPAump » Thu May 19, 2011 8:12 pm

The DP and the FLEX cannot be on offense at the same time, but remember... they can play defense at the same time, and another player can sit the bench.

Why not just put both players (Player A and Player B, pitcher) in the starting batting lineup, and designate a third (Player C, weaker batter) to be the FLEX? Then, put Players B and C in the field, and sit Player A on defense.
ASAPAump

by ajaywill » Fri May 20, 2011 1:40 pm

slapperdad wrote:Thanks, PDad.

There was a method to my madness, I just don't feel like typing everything out.

Kinda hard for us to help you if we don't have all of the information....jus sayin'
ajaywill

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner