Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interference ?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by hit4power » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 am

HS ball, playing under Fed rules

R1 on 1B, nobody out, B2 hits a hard grounder a bit to the left of F4. R1 hesitates momentarily to allow the batted ball to pass her. Ball is misplayed by F4 and rebounds off of her hitting R1 as she resumes running passing in front of F4. R1 ruled out on interference. I had always assumed that once a fielder beyond the pitcher had an opportunity to make a play and no other fielder behind her could make a play that it wasn't interference if a batted ball struck a base runner. Was this the correct call, and if so, what am I misunderstanding about the rule?
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ajaywill » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:42 am

Since you referenced NFHS rules, what you are missing is the definition of "initial play"

Per NFHS rules, if a fielder does not play the batted ball cleanly, but the ball is still within a step and a reach of the initial contact of the ball and fielder, the fielder is still considered to be making the "initial play" on the ball and can be interfered with by the offense.

Was the play you posted interference? Don't know...would have to see it.
ajaywill

by topper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 am

ajaywill wrote:Since you referenced NFHS rules, what you are missing is the definition of "initial play"

Per NFHS rules, if a fielder does not play the batted ball cleanly, but the ball is still within a step and a reach of the initial contact of the ball and fielder, the fielder is still considered to be making the "initial play" on the ball and can be interfered with by the offense.

Was the play you posted interference? Don't know...would have to see it.

I bellieve that pertains to a different type of INT than a runner being hit by a batted ball. Once a fielder touches a batted ball, doesn't the runner/ball contact have to be intentional for INT?
topper

by Comp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Cant find the rule reference at the moment, but pretty sure somewhere in the FED rules if the ball deflects off a fielder and contact with the ball cannot be avoided by the runner, there is no penalty.
Comp

by hit4power » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Cant find the rule reference at the moment, but pretty sure somewhere in the FED rules if the ball deflects off a fielder and contact with the ball cannot be avoided by the runner, there is no penalty.

I believe it is 8-6.

what you are missing is the definition of "initial play"

I did check that after I posted (couldnt find my rule book) and I can see that if the BU felt F4 still had an opportunity to make the play after the initial stab at it he could rule INT, but with hindsight, there probably should have been a discussion around whether R1 could have avoided contact or not as per 8-6.

I'm not sure as to the answer to toppers question on intent, but generally, I didn't think intent was necessary to have either INT or OBS.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by topper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:23 pm

hit4power wrote:I'm not sure as to the answer to toppers question on intent, but generally, I didn't think intent was necessary to have either INT or OBS.

Generally no, in some cases yes.

In this situation the "cannot be avoided" phrase works better that "unintentional". Not sure about Fed, but the NCAA book still uses intentional.
topper

by MTR » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:36 pm

I do not believe this is int with a fielder which includes the "initial play" issue, but a runner hit by a deflected batted ball and if that is the case, 8.8.6 states that the runner is not out if the contact with the ball could not be avoided.

In this case, the runner is legally advancing in front of the fielder to avoid interfering with her ability to field a batted ball.
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner