Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Checked Swing

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by crashsdaddy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 am

Had a situation where an opposing team batter checked her swing. PU called it a ball. Our catcher asked for help. The PU refused. Our coach asked him why he was not asking the other ump for assistance and his reason was that that unless the field ump was on the first base line, he was not in a position to see. There was a runner on first so the field ump was setup between first and second.

Based on the PU's logic, unless there are no runners on base, the PU would never as for help on a checked swing.

My assumption is that the PU doesn't have to ask for help if he chooses not to but I've never seen this actually happen. Is my assumption correct?

Sorry for the seemingly simple question. I'm a first time assistant coach this year and I've yet to get my hands on an ASA rulebook. :oops: Anyone know where I could download a PDF version? :)
crashsdaddy

by MTR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:10 am

crashsdaddy wrote:Had a situation where an opposing team batter checked her swing. PU called it a ball. Our catcher asked for help. The PU refused. Our coach asked him why he was not asking the other ump for assistance and his reason was that that unless the field ump was on the first base line, he was not in a position to see. There was a runner on first so the field ump was setup between first and second.

Based on the PU's logic, unless there are no runners on base, the PU would never as for help on a checked swing.

My assumption is that the PU doesn't have to ask for help if he chooses not to but I've never seen this actually happen. Is my assumption correct?

Sorry for the seemingly simple question. I'm a first time assistant coach this year and I've yet to get my hands on an ASA rulebook. :oops: Anyone know where I could download a PDF version? :)

An ASA rule book should come with your ASA registration.

The umpire is not required to ask for help. If the umpire is sure s/he had the call correct, there is no reason to go. Most umpires will go for help on a checked swing since quite often is it possible that they did not have the full swing in their scope while watching the pitch. However, sometimes it is a no-brainer.

While it is factual that the BU doesn't have the best look while off the line, that is no reason to not go IF the umpire had any doubts. If the BU didn't have a good look, s/he will just give a safe signal and a "no" or whatever the appropriate response would be.
MTR

by ajaywill » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:34 pm

For NFHS and ASA, MTR is absolutely correct. It is not a requirement for the umpire to go for help on a checked swing if asked.

For NCAA, it is required that the umpire ask his partner if requested.

Personally, this is a battle I choose not to fight. If I am the PU and I am asked to check with my partner, I do, no matter where my partner is. It's quick, it's easy, and we move on.
There are plenty of opportunities during a game for a coach and/or player to get irritated with an umpire....why add another one to that list that is easily avoidable?
ajaywill

by MTR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:44 pm

ajaywill wrote:For NFHS and ASA, MTR is absolutely correct. It is not a requirement for the umpire to go for help on a checked swing if asked.

For NCAA, it is required that the umpire ask his partner if requested.

Wait a minute, don't give them half the story. To whom does the NCAA PU go to for a check swing? :D

Personally, this is a battle I choose not to fight. If I am the PU and I am asked to check with my partner, I do, no matter where my partner is. It's quick, it's easy, and we move on.
There are plenty of opportunities during a game for a coach and/or player to get irritated with an umpire....why add another one to that list that is easily avoidable?

I agree, unless it has become a game the coach is playing, I will almost always check even if I'm sure I got it right.
MTR

by crashsdaddy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:43 pm

ajaywill wrote:Personally, this is a battle I choose not to fight. If I am the PU and I am asked to check with my partner, I do, no matter where my partner is. It's quick, it's easy, and we move on.

That's kind of what I thought as well. PU has the final say in asking for help but why create unnecessary drama when simply asking resolves the issue in seconds. Instead, we get our coach and both umps on the field hashing out the issue and what finally calmed our coach down was the field ump saying he wasn't watching the swing anyway but rather the runner to make sure she didn't leave early. :lol: The guy was doing his job!
crashsdaddy

by UmpSteve » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:47 pm

crashsdaddy wrote:
ajaywill wrote:Personally, this is a battle I choose not to fight. If I am the PU and I am asked to check with my partner, I do, no matter where my partner is. It's quick, it's easy, and we move on.

That's kind of what I thought as well. PU has the final say in asking for help but why create unnecessary drama when simply asking resolves the issue in seconds. Instead, we get our coach and both umps on the field hashing out the issue and what finally calmed our coach down was the field ump saying he wasn't watching the swing anyway but rather the runner to make sure she didn't leave early. :lol: The guy was doing his job!

Seriously?? :lol:

Your coach bought a pile of steaming manure. According to all umpire manuals, the base umpire is responsible to judge ALL of the following: 1) Did the pitcher deliver a legal (or illegal) pitch (specifically related to the feet; plate umpire deals with the hands)? 2) Did any runner leave their base prior to the pitch ? 3) Did the batter swing (or attempt)? 4) Was that attempt a swing (slap) or a bunt attempt? 5) If the batter was hit by the pitch, was the batter moving into the ball, allow the ball to hit her, or merely holding her (legal) position? 6) Was the batter contacted by a batted ball? 7) If the contact was not detected by the plate umpire, was that contact in or out of the batters box? 8) Did the catcher catch (or not catch) a strike three? 9) After all of the above, rule on any attempted play on the bases, and possibly assist on any catch/no catch decision by the plate umpire.

Recently, I had a college coach wanting me to "help" the plate umpire decide if a batter first contacted the ball with a foot out of the batters box. And didn't "get it" when I told him that I cannot make that call from behind the infield (when the plate umpire is right there!!).

So, okay, my point is that the base umpire has multiple responsibilities. But, swing/no swing is high on the priority list. And it isn't excused by needing to judge if the runner left early.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Umpire Corner