Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

CIF High school rule

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by bda600 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Situation: Batter steps into batters box, runs the end her bat along the chalk line of the opposite box (once) to "measure herself up" to the plate. The PU tells her not to erase the lines. Another batter later steps into the box, levels the dirt with her feet. Dirt of course goes over the chalk Line (what is left of it). The mount of dirt that went over the line was minimal. She did not scrap a foot worth onto the line. PU tells batter that she cannot erase the lines, calls time out and informs coach that if another batter touches the lines they will be charged with a strike. Niether batter was intentionally "erasing the lines." Both batters are experpienced travel players and do the same routine everytime. What is or is there a rule that prohibits the batters from touching or "erasing the lines"? Could a player be charged a strike?

Thanks
bda600

by Sam » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:22 pm

It really doesn't matter what rule the PU is invoking, the player had better not violate the PU's directive. The PU gets to call balls and strikes on any pitch they wish and there isn't a thing you can do about it. I would apologize to the PU and instruct my players to comply.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:28 pm

CA for the most part follows FED rules. There is a rule about purposely erasing the lines. I of course would have to see it, but from explanation would not call what the batters were doing as intentionally erasing the lines. I have seen batters that purposely wipe out the lines, and it is obvious when they do.
Comp

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:06 am

Yes, the batter may be charged a strike for intentionally removing the lines, it is rule 3-6-17 in NHFS ... It should also be noted that if the defense does it, the batter can be awarded a ball ...
And if the Umpire says they did it, they did it, because it's a judgement call ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Bretman » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:11 am

Not "may" be charged with a strike..."shall" be charged with a strike. There's no "freebie" here- a strike should be called on the first violation.

This umpire apparently is misinterpreting the spirit and intent of rule (it needs to be an intentional act to be penalized) AND not applying the proper penalty prescribed in the rule book (by issuing a warning without accessing the penalty strike).

I wonder...if a runner is coming in to score and slides- across his precious chalk lines- would he charge the next batter with a strike? :mrgreen:
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by bda600 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks. It of course was not intentional and I understand that it is a judgment call. All together both umpires were not the best. LOL.
bda600

by MTR » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Bretman wrote:Not "may" be charged with a strike..."shall" be charged with a strike. There's no "freebie" here- a strike should be called on the first violation.

This umpire apparently is misinterpreting the spirit and intent of rule (it needs to be an intentional act to be penalized) AND not applying the proper penalty prescribed in the rule book (by issuing a warning without accessing the penalty strike).

I wonder...if a runner is coming in to score and slides- across his precious chalk lines- would he charge the next batter with a strike? :mrgreen:

It's a ludicrous, coach-driven rule that is completely unnecessary
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner