Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

hit by pitch/ over running first base on a bb

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by pinoypride1977 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:15 am

i have a couple of questions about rules or non rules i need clarified.
how many batters can a pitcher hit before she can't pitch the rest of the game. i heard it was 2 batters in one inning then she has to be pulled for the rest of that inning and can be reinserted the next inning untill she hits a third batter. is this actually a rule or it's a judgment call by a coach or umpire that doesn't want the girls to get hurt.

my next question is i seen a girl awarded first base on a walk and she over ran the base but didn't turn towards second and the defensive coach was yelling to tag her out. everyone seem confused because normally you can over run first but he insisted that you either have to stop on first or continue to second base at your own risk. there is no over running first on a walk.

just wondering if anyone could clarify these rules and where i can find them in the rule book. thanks for the help
pinoypride1977

by ajaywill » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:11 pm

You won't find any rules in the ASA book about the number of batters a pitcher can hit before she is removed because.....there aren't any!

Some leagues have rules like the one you mentioned that restricts the number of hit batters per pitcher, but those are strictly local rules to that particular league.

As far as the base on balls, that is a live ball and the batter-runner can do any of the same things she can do after a hit. She can legally over run first base and come back, she can round first and make an attempt to second base, she can round first and keep going to second base, etc....If she makes an attempt to second base, she is liable to be put out by the fielder tagging the runner.

In ASA the rule references for you are 8-7-H and 8-8-I
ajaywill

by Steve M » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:23 pm

pinoypride1977 wrote:i have a couple of questions about rules or non rules i need clarified.
how many batters can a pitcher hit before she can't pitch the rest of the game. i heard it was 2 batters in one inning then she has to be pulled for the rest of that inning and can be reinserted the next inning untill she hits a third batter. is this actually a rule or it's a judgment call by a coach or umpire that doesn't want the girls to get hurt.

my next question is i seen a girl awarded first base on a walk and she over ran the base but didn't turn towards second and the defensive coach was yelling to tag her out. everyone seem confused because normally you can over run first but he insisted that you either have to stop on first or continue to second base at your own risk. there is no over running first on a walk.

just wondering if anyone could clarify these rules and where i can find them in the rule book. thanks for the help

Dunno, it might be a LL rule or some other organization that is based upon participation by all as opposed to learning the game and winning. I suspect a local league rule, if anything. Nothiing to be founsd in rule books of legitimate sanctioning bodies about removing a pitcher who has unintentionall hit 'X' number of batters.
As for over-running 1B on a walk, again, nothing in the rule book of legitimate softball organizations.
just an umpire
NFHS, ASA, PONY, NCAA, ISC, NPF
Steve M

by Crabby_Bob » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:46 pm

The only limit on hit batters is how many runs coach will tolerate giving up.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:11 pm

pinoypride1977 wrote:i have a couple of questions about rules or non rules i need clarified.

Don't you also have a question about how to make capital letters on the puter ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:

Don't you also have a question about how to make capital letters on the puter ?

Hey, at least he used sentences and paragraphs. You're getting kind of picky. Grab another beer

LMAOWIOAB! ... Done :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner