Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Interesting 'no call'

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:14 am

Watching a NCAA game this weekend on a very windy day ... Many times the Blue had to stop the game because of blowing dirt ...She has already stopped play once duing the current at bat ... The count is 0-2 and the hurler is receiving her signal ... The dust is starting to kick up again coming from the left field side of the infield then is swirling as the pitcher starts her motion ... The gust fills the area between the pitcher and the plate with a thick cloud and blows the pitcher over as she is finishing her delivery, never losing a grip on the ball ... At some point there after, the blue stops the play ... She never really called anything ... It was pretty bizzare, but as a fan, technically, I had an IP ( Even though it was my team on D ) ... The Blue never verbalized a no pitch, IP, do over ... anything ... But, it essentially amounted to a no pitch ... Which she confirmed when I spoke to her after the game ... She said she too, saw the gust and cloud starting but the pitcher was already in her motion and didn't want to kill the play, even though, at that point she had no-pitch ... I thought it was a good 'no-call' ... The count resumed at 0-2 ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:20 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Watching a NCAA game this weekend on a very windy day ... Many times the Blue had to stop the game because of blowing dirt ...She has already stopped play once duing the current at bat ... The count is 0-2 and the hurler is receiving her signal ... The dust is starting to kick up again coming from the left field side of the infield then is swirling as the pitcher starts her motion ... The gust fills the area between the pitcher and the plate with a thick cloud and blows the pitcher over as she is finishing her delivery, never losing a grip on the ball ... At some point there after, the blue stops the play ... She never really called anything ... It was pretty bizzare, but as a fan, technically, I had an IP ( Even though it was my team on D ) ... The Blue never verbalized a no pitch, IP, do over ... anything ... But, it essentially amounted to a no pitch ... Which she confirmed when I spoke to her after the game ... She said she too, saw the gust and cloud starting but the pitcher was already in her motion and didn't want to kill the play, even though, at that point she had no-pitch ... I thought it was a good 'no-call' ... The count resumed at 0-2 ...

It probably could have been "called" earlier, but I don't disagree with you. Of course, if the wind is strong enough to knock over a player, they probably shouldn't have been out on the field.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:39 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Watching a NCAA game this weekend on a very windy day ... Many times the Blue had to stop the game because of blowing dirt ...She has already stopped play once duing the current at bat ... The count is 0-2 and the hurler is receiving her signal ... The dust is starting to kick up again coming from the left field side of the infield then is swirling as the pitcher starts her motion ... The gust fills the area between the pitcher and the plate with a thick cloud and blows the pitcher over as she is finishing her delivery, never losing a grip on the ball ... At some point there after, the blue stops the play ... She never really called anything ... It was pretty bizzare, but as a fan, technically, I had an IP ( Even though it was my team on D ) ... The Blue never verbalized a no pitch, IP, do over ... anything ... But, it essentially amounted to a no pitch ... Which she confirmed when I spoke to her after the game ... She said she too, saw the gust and cloud starting but the pitcher was already in her motion and didn't want to kill the play, even though, at that point she had no-pitch ... I thought it was a good 'no-call' ... The count resumed at 0-2 ...

It probably could have been "called" earlier, but I don't disagree with you. Of course, if the wind is strong enough to knock over a player, they probably shouldn't have been out on the field.

Yeah ... Some of the gust felt like they were at least in the 50-60 mph range ... This happened in the first game of a double banger ... I felt that if it kept up they would call the 2nd game for sure ... That was actually the worst of it and winds died somewhat from there on out ( but not much ) ... As a player I always hated playing in the wind, as a Coach I hate coaching in the wind ... As a Blue I hate officiating in the wind and being a fan in the stands just su*ks .... wind blows ! It was about 60 degrees but felt like it was in the 20's to me ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner