Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Illegal Glove - Mizuno

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by softballnut » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:03 pm

My daughter is a pitcher 16u and has a Mizuno Pride MVP glove. The word "Mizuno" is in gold and located on the outside of the glove along the middle finger section. An umpire this week advised me that the glove is illegal and if we were in a tournament he would have confiscated it as an illegal glove. Does anyone know if this is accurate or not?

Thanks!
softballnut

by Comp » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm

Not sure about ASA, will have to go look, but under FED rules, anything on the glove that is white or optic yellow that could give the appearance of a ball being in the web is considered illegal. I would say the writing being gold would be a stretch, but it is more or less up to the umpires judgement if it gives the appearance of being a ball. Its easy enough to fix, black sharpie and color in the letters.
Comp

by Crabby_Bob » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 pm

softballnut wrote:My daughter is a pitcher 16u and has a Mizuno Pride MVP glove. The word "Mizuno" is in gold and located on the outside of the glove along the middle finger section. An umpire this week advised me that the glove is illegal and if we were in a tournament he would have confiscated it as an illegal glove. Does anyone know if this is accurate or not?

Thanks!

A specific model number would help.

Rule 1-4.2: Gloves/mitts may be a maximum of two colors unless judged by the umpire to be distracting. Glove lacing and manufacturer's logo are not considered one of the two colors permitted. Glove lacing may be any color other than that of the ball. A glove/mitt worn by players that is entirely gray, white, or optic [yellow?] in color is illegal. A gray, white or optic colored circle on the outside or inside of the glove/mitt that gives the appearance of a ball or is judged to be distracting by the umpire, is illegal. One American flag (2 inch x 3 inch maximum) is permitted on the glove.

Sounds OOO to me.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:29 am

Had this happen to a HS player 4 years ago. We had to get a black sharpie and color it in.

My dd has had this same glove for 3 years now and never once had a problem with it. She has been to States, Nationals, Premier qualifiers, and 3rd year of HS and never had a problem. I think it just comes down to the opposing coach and the umpire if they want to call it.
Sftbll4ever

by Comp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:55 am

ASA rule 3-4 Glove/mitt. A glove/mitt may be worn by any player. The dimensions of any glove/mitt used by any fielder shall not exceed the specifications set forth below. The pitchers glove may be of one solid color or multi colored as long as the color(s) are not the color of the ball being used in the game.

If this game was played under ASA rules, he must have been quoting the FED rules. I looked through photos of several Mizuno gloves and found photos of several with both gold and optic green lettering. Under ASA I dont see any problem with the gloves, but under FED rules the one with optic yellow marking would be illegal and I could see where even the one with gold marking could also give the impression of a ball being in the web.
Comp

by MTR » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:36 am

Comp wrote:If this game was played under ASA rules, he must have been quoting the FED rules. I looked through photos of several Mizuno gloves and found photos of several with both gold and optic green lettering. Under ASA I dont see any problem with the gloves, but under FED rules the one with optic yellow marking would be illegal and I could see where even the one with gold marking could also give the impression of a ball being in the web.

While I completely disagree with the rules here, what some refer to as optic yellow looks a lot like green to others. Could what someone calls "gold" seem like optic yellow to others? Probably.

But you need to remember what is behind these rules, coaches complaining about distractions. Not that they really are, but some people need an excuse for anything. It is almost as stupid as the argument that mirrored sunglasses should be illegal.
MTR

by CharlieHough » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:16 pm

10U states many moons ago - close game - we had opposing coach go ballistic about our pitchers Mizuno glove being illegal and that the pitcher, who was kicking their butts, should be thrown out of the game.

After getting the UIC involved, they just made her change gloves.

The opposing coach eventually got tossed, along with her co-coach, and of course, lost the game.

10U!!!!! ahhhhhh the good old days! when it really mattered!!!! :roll:
I'm gonna take this right foot, and I'm gonna whop you on that side of your face...and you wanna know something? There's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it!

Billy Jack...1971
CharlieHough

by Bretman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 pm

CharlieHough wrote:10U states many moons ago - close game - we had opposing coach go ballistic about our pitchers Mizuno glove being illegal and that the pitcher, who was kicking their butts, should be thrown out of the game.

First off, the penalty for using a "distracting" glove wouldn't be a player ejection. You just have the player change to a legal glove.

Funny, but I can never recall having a coach who's team was winning a game complain about the pitcher having an illegal glove.

I also don't get how the coaches that do complain always seem to think that just because they complained the umpire is compelled to act on it or remove the glove. Whether the glove is distracting or not is at the judgment of the umpire. I don't have any problem with telling a coach that his complaint is unfounded and to get his butt back in the dugout.

I look at it this way: If the glove is truly distracting, wouldn't it have already got my attention? If it hasn't already got my attention, then it obviously must not be very distracting!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by ontheblack » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:21 pm

I look at it this way: If the glove is truly distracting, wouldn't it have already got my attention? If it hasn't already got my attention, then it obviously must not be very distracting!

Spoken like a true umpire!
ontheblack

by SnocatzDad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 am

Maybe it's just part of Mizuno's cutting edge technology. They probably also sell a tennis racket with bright green circles on the strings and ping pong paddles with white polka dot patterns.
SnocatzDad

Return to The Umpire Corner