Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Dropped 3rd Strike

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by JOEMAN39 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks UMP.... Thanks for your time - also to Jon and Spaz..... don't mean to take anyones time up just have seen different umps call different calls on this and thought this would be a good place to ask... Not sure how to take UMP your statement "using your lack of definition" If that was ment to be smart towards me or not??? If you have a problem with me asking a question than let me know in a respectful way and we can resolve it. If not than again thanks for what you have done and I do appreciate your time and help. Maybe I'm just reading it incorrectly.
JOEMAN39

by Bretman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:29 pm

While this rule is generically refered to as a "dropped third strike", that is a misnomer that leads to some of the confusion. If you think of it in the terms used by the rule book, this is actually an "uncaught third strike".

The catch of the pitch needs to meet the same definition of "a catch" that applies to a batted ball. That is, the ball must be caught "in-flight", never having touched the ground from the time it left the pitcher's hand to when it is secured by the catcher. Just like on a batted ball, if the ball touches the ground anywhere between those two points it can no longer be legally caught.

Sure, a bounced pitch might be "gloved" by the catcher, or otherwise be secured in the hand or mitt, but for the purpose of this rule it is not considered to have been "caught" by the definition of "a catch". If such a bounced pitch is the third strike, then you have an "uncaught third strike"- along with all the Keystone Cops confusion that can ensue in your typical 10U game!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by shockcoach » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:23 pm

bulldog21 wrote:The runner would not get credit for a stolen base unless she was running on the pitch.

I would disagree. The runner get's credit for a stolen base on a delayed steal. She doesn't have to steal on the pitcher, she can also steal on the catcher. Either way, it's a SB in the book.
shockcoach

by softballdadcoach » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:44 am

Not to necessarily be argumentative, Spazsdad, but I read what you wrote not as saying that the runner must be running on the pitch in order to be credited with a SB, but rather as saying what the exception is that allows a SB to be credited for situations where normally one is not credited.
In other words, the statement is that a SB is not credited when the runner advances unaided by ...wild pitch, passed ball,...etc. However, if the runner leaves on the pitch, she is credited with a SB even if it is a wild pitch or passed ball.
My interpretation is not that in order to receive a SB you must always leave on the pitch.
The specific scenario here reads like it was a passed ball, so no SB, but I was speaking in general terms.
Just my 2 cents...
softballdadcoach

by PDad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:00 am

softballdadcoach wrote:Not to necessarily be argumentative, Spazsdad, but I read what you wrote not as saying that the runner must be running on the pitch in order to be credited with a SB, but rather as saying what the exception is that allows a SB to be credited for situations where normally one is not credited.
In other words, the statement is that a SB is not credited when the runner advances unaided by ...wild pitch, passed ball,...etc. However, if the runner leaves on the pitch, she is credited with a SB even if it is a wild pitch or passed ball.
My interpretation is not that in order to receive a SB you must always leave on the pitch.
The specific scenario here reads like it was a passed ball, so no SB, but I was speaking in general terms.
Just my 2 cents...

Did you make the post by shockcoach?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dongers Army » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:25 am

The original post stated:

"1 out, runner on 1st. Batter strikes out, and the catcher doesn't hold on the the ball. Batter starts running to 1B, and the catcher makes a play to 1B. The runner on 1B goes to 2B."

In this scenario I would not score a wild pitch or passed ball. If the sequence of the scenario is accurate, the baserunner moving from 1B to 2B (after the throw to 1B) would receive a stolen base. I view this identical to a pick off play to 1B, and if the baserunner advances to 2B - stolen base.

If the runner advances when the catcher doesn't hold the ball, then I agree PB or WP, but I read the scenario to describe the BR advancing after the catcher makes a play to 1B - stolen base.

To the question of the original post, clearly the base runner does not have to return to 1B.
Dongers Army

by NoNothin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 pm

bulldog21 wrote:The runner would not get credit for a stolen base unless she was running on the pitch.

R-1 would not get credit for a stolen base unless the catcher attempted to throw her out at 2.
Respect All Fear None!!!!
NoNothin

by 1bzymom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:56 am

NoNothin wrote:

R-1 would not get credit for a stolen base unless the catcher attempted to throw her out at 2.

I don't think you are correct NoNothin. There are many instances where there is a stolen base without attempt at throw out.
1bzymom

Previous

Return to The Umpire Corner