Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Patrick » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Pink ballbags!
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:34 am

Patrick wrote:Pink ballbags!

I'm so tired of seeing pink anything, my mind immediately dismisses anything associated with it.
MTR

by slapperdad » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:54 pm

I'm all for saving boobs....but seriously!
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by Joe » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:28 pm

slapperdad wrote:I'm all for saving boobs....but seriously!

Ummmm...yes... it IS pretty serious...

...and if one of yours ends up with breast cancer...I suspect the "saving boobs" part won't seem near as funny as you think it is.
Joe

by hit4power » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Was recently at exposure tourneys in NJ and Fla. The " blues" were great both from a game management and knowledge perspective and also as fun and entertaining gentlemen between innings. They all wore pink, and took some good natured ribbing over whether we should call them "blues" or "pinks". We're from Texas and in NJ they loved hearing our girls turn on the Texas twang and our girls couldn't get enough of that "Joysey talk".
As the son of a breast cancer survivor, I can not thank them or everyone else who supports breast cancer research enough. Without all of the effort, contribution, and support, my mom probably wouldn't be watching her darling granddaughter (DGD?)play softball.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:45 am

Joe wrote:

...and if one of yours ends up with breast cancer...I suspect the "saving boobs" part won't seem near as funny as you think it is.

Been there, done that three times family and a few time with close friends. It is a serious subject, but not the end of the world if someone attempts to add a little levity. However, even attempts at humor like anything else can be overdone to the point of annoying and distasteful.
MTR

by slapperdad » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:54 am

Joe wrote:

Joe, I am all for saving boobs, it wasn't meant to be particularly funny. Breast Cancer, along with any other kind of Cancer is serious. And yes, I have been there and done that with family members. In fact, I have my annual colonoscopy scheduled for a week from Friday, due to my family's history.

The point I was trying to make is stupid symbolic gestures, like all this pink crap don't do squat to address the problem. Putting pink ribbons on NFL official's hats and making them wear pink sweatbands, aren't going to cure anything.

And to address the men's Breast Cancer blurb, even Shaft wasn't immune!
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/2001-09-18-roundtree-cancer.htm
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:25 am

Back to the 'boobs' ... Correct me if I am mistaken ... but I thought 'Save The Boobies' was actually a slogan being used by the powers that be for breast cancer awareness ... Here on the East Coast I see it frequently ...

And WTF difference does it make if Players, Coaches, Umpires or whom ever participate in wearing or using pink equiptment for a good cause on a voluntary basis ? We are a society that tends not to be concerned about anything until it affects our little corner of the planet ... Wearing pink for Breast Cancer Awareness at very least brings the topic out of the closet ... I agree that over use could be counter productive ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:04 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Back to the 'boobs' ... Correct me if I am mistaken ... but I thought 'Save The Boobies' was actually a slogan being used by the powers that be for breast cancer awareness ... Here on the East Coast I see it frequently ...

Absolutey correct. See the slogan everywhere from bumperstickers to window decals. But you have to understand, this "society" also draws perceived power by dictating to others the words and phrases permitted in this "when I want your opinion, I'll give it to you" country.

And WTF difference does it make if Players, Coaches, Umpires or whom ever participate in wearing or using pink equiptment for a good cause on a voluntary basis ?

On a "voluntary" basis? None at all. But do you really believe all of it is voluntary (by the individual)? However, we are a "go along to be popular" country.

We are a society that tends not to be concerned about anything until it affects our little corner of the planet ...

You may be, not me. Then again "your" society will scream bloody murder if the US isn't the savior of everyone in the world due to a military conflict, geological disaster or just a bad storm, but at the same time tripping over people dying in our own streets and communities and someone of Appalachia knows that.

Wearing pink for Breast Cancer Awareness at very least brings the topic out of the closet ...

Come on, do you really believe there is any adult or teen in this country, especially on the East Coast, that is NOT aware of the dangers of any type or form of cancer?

I agree that over use could be counter productive ...

^^^^this
MTR

by Patrick » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:26 am

I saw a T-shirt with two baseballs placed appropriately with the saying,
"Save Second Base"
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner