Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

catchers interference

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Rob » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 pm

I watched a 12u game today that had a play I have never seen before. Runners on first and second. Batter hits a fly ball over the left fielders head. Both runs score and batter ends up with a triple. Home Plate ump calls time out and tells the coach in the third base batter box to put the runners back on 2nd and 3rd, the catcher had interferred with the batter, claiming that the batter made contact with the catcher's glove. He said as soon as contact was made ball is dead. He awarded the batter first base. I seen catcher's interference before, but I have never seen the batter hit the ball solidly after contacting the catcher's glove. Was this the right call and is the ball dead as soon as contact with the catcher's glove is made?
Rob

by MTR » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:18 am

Rob wrote:I watched a 12u game today that had a play I have never seen before. Runners on first and second. Batter hits a fly ball over the left fielders head. Both runs score and batter ends up with a triple. Home Plate ump calls time out and tells the coach in the third base batter box to put the runners back on 2nd and 3rd, the catcher had interferred with the batter, claiming that the batter made contact with the catcher's glove. He said as soon as contact was made ball is dead. He awarded the batter first base. I seen catcher's interference before, but I have never seen the batter hit the ball solidly after contacting the catcher's glove. Was this the right call and is the ball dead as soon as contact with the catcher's glove is made?

Speaking ASA (and softball in general)

The umpire needs more training or another hobby.

To start, this would be Catcher's Obstruction, not interference. That is a delayed dead ball.

Secondly, if the BR reaches 1B safely and all runners advance one base safely, the OBS call is ignored. If either of the two do not occur, the offended team has the option of taking the play (as a whole) or the enforcement of the penalty which is the BR is awarded 1B and only runners forced would advance.

Finally, what is the coach doing in the batter's box? ;)
MTR

by joemcq51 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:48 am

I believe on a cathers interference call the offense has the right to keep the play or accept the interference call. Triple should have held up. Kind of like a homerun hit on an illegal pitch.
joemcq51

by MTR » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:35 pm

joemcq51 wrote:I believe on a cathers interference call the offense has the right to keep the play or accept the interference call. Triple should have held up. Kind of like a homerun hit on an illegal pitch.

I can assure you, there is no such animal as catcher's interference in softball and once the BR and R advance one base safely, the obstruction is cancelled.
MTR

by broadband » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:56 pm

MTR wrote:
Rob wrote:I watched a 12u game today that had a play I have never seen before. Runners on first and second. Batter hits a fly ball over the left fielders head. Both runs score and batter ends up with a triple. Home Plate ump calls time out and tells the coach in the third base batter box to put the runners back on 2nd and 3rd, the catcher had interferred with the batter, claiming that the batter made contact with the catcher's glove. He said as soon as contact was made ball is dead. He awarded the batter first base. I seen catcher's interference before, but I have never seen the batter hit the ball solidly after contacting the catcher's glove. Was this the right call and is the ball dead as soon as contact with the catcher's glove is made?

Speaking ASA (and softball in general)

The umpire needs more training or another hobby.

To start, this would be Catcher's Obstruction, not interference. That is a delayed dead ball.

Secondly, if the BR reaches 1B safely and all runners advance one base safely, the OBS call is ignored. If either of the two do not occur, the offended team has the option of taking the play (as a whole) or the enforcement of the penalty which is the BR is awarded 1B and only runners forced would advance.

Finally, what is the coach doing in the batter's box? ;)

I love that last comment. LOL.

Obstruction - Defense is the offender. (ie, fielder standing on a base while runner is rounding obstructing the runner from advancing to another bag)
Interference - Offense is the offender. (ie, Runner 'interferes' with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball.)

:)
NCAA Softball Official
broadband

Return to The Umpire Corner