Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Intentional Walk on team with only 8 players......

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Izzy's Dad » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:45 am

ASA 14U tournament. Team has 8 players. Team has runner on 3rd (tie runner) with 2 outs and #8 batter comes to plate. Opposing team intentionally walks the batter to force the next out. Whats the rule?
Izzy's Dad

by Comp » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:01 am

The vacant 9th batter would be an automatic out. 3rd out of inning, that 1/2 of inning over as soon as the 8th batter touches 1st base and all action has ceased.
Comp

by Bretman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Some sanctioning bodies may prohibit walking a batter to reach the vacant spot in the batting order- but ASA is not one of them!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:29 am

That may be the rule, but the correct call is for the Coach to send the runner on third prior to the 8th batter reaching first base ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Izzy's Dad » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:32 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:That may be the rule, but the correct call is for the Coach to send the runner on third prior to the 8th batter reaching first base ...

He DID do that. But, we got her out at the plate :) So, next inning, he had to start with one out :D He was already mad that I called for the walk, but he about had a stroke when we got his runner out.
Izzy's Dad

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:54 am

Izzy's Dad wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:That may be the rule, but the correct call is for the Coach to send the runner on third prior to the 8th batter reaching first base ...

He DID do that. But, we got her out at the plate :) So, next inning, he had to start with one out :D He was already mad that I called for the walk, but he about had a stroke when we got his runner out.

ER...uh .... WHAT ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Izzy's Dad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:56 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Izzy's Dad wrote:

ER...uh .... WHAT ?

I called for the walk. As the batter headed to first, they sent their runner from third, who we got out at the plate (3rd out). Their non-existant 9th batter never came up in the line-up. So, next inning, when they came up to bat, they were at 9th batter. Automatic out.
Izzy's Dad

by Izzy's Dad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - I was the opposing team ;)
Izzy's Dad

by MTR » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:28 am

Izzy's Dad wrote:I called for the walk. As the batter headed to first, they sent their runner from third, who we got out at the plate (3rd out). Their non-existant 9th batter never came up in the line-up. So, next inning, when they came up to bat, they were at 9th batter. Automatic out.

There is a widespread misconception that there is some secret way of beating the automatic out until they try and it backfires on them like it did above.

This is usually when the team changes their view and whines about how unfair it is to apply a reduced penalty for not having enough players.
MTR

by Izzy's Dad » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:32 pm

There is a widespread misconception that there is some secret way of beating the automatic out until they try and it backfires on them like it did above.

This is usually when the team changes their view and whines about how unfair it is to apply a reduced penalty for not having enough players.[/quote]

That was the semi-finals. They had 9 all day, until that game. They had a girl who had to leave for a birthday party :? We won, and went to the championship. I have had 12 girls at every game and tournament this fall. I like everyone to play if possible, so I use the DP/Flex, courtesy runner, and pinch runner. It's hard, but I make it work.
Izzy's Dad

Return to The Umpire Corner