Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Tired of some umps

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Iluvblue » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:25 pm

So I call time out for the 2nd time in the inning to talk with my pitcher who was really struggling. As I get back to the dugout the homeplate blue yells at me, coach that is your second trip to the mound in the inning the pitcher needs to be removed.

Im sitting on the bucket and I yell out at him doesnt matter if I call 3 in an inning, she is fine.

He Basically starts talking shit to me like.... I dont know what rule book you are going by... and blah blah blah.

Now it is bad enough that this guy has to talk to me in a loud tone and like I am 5, but he doesnt know what the hell he is talking about. I just keep repeating to him.. " Can you check with your partner please."

After his partner sets him straight, youd think I would have gotten a simple look and a My mistake coach. Hell no, back to home plate he goes and lets continue. And some umps wonder why they have so many problems with me.

Funny how the best umps in this area have a pretty good relationship with me, as they know what the hell they are doing.

I wont even get into the ump that chest bumped me and dropped some F bombs.

Sad.
Iluvblue

by topper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:09 am

I won't defend the umpire in question. But if I had a dollar for every time a coach was belligerent when wrong and apologized when proven wrong, I'd still be broke.
topper

by FastpitchUSA » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:35 am

I umpire (So Cal ASA) and I also coach. I have been doing so for many years. The umps that don't know what they are doing get worse when they are challenged. There is no way a coach will win any battle with an ump who is in over his head. It is best to let the other coach self destruct to get the attention off of your team so BS calls don't effect you or your team.

Play it cool to keep it cool. 8-)

Brian
I want it NOW!
FastpitchUSA

by Iluvblue » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:57 am

I did play it cool, that is why I just sat on my bucket and kept repeating "Check with your partner, please."

It wasnt the fact he didnt know what he was talking about, it was his demeanor and loud tone on top of the fact he didnt know what he was talking about.

The worst part though, is he is PAID to know what he is talking about. At least when a coach doesnt know something, he isnt getting a check for the sole purpose of running the game.
Iluvblue

by MTR » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:46 pm

Iluvblue wrote:
I wont even get into the ump that chest bumped me and dropped some F bombs.

Sad.

Don't care about the language, but anyone who initiates confrontational contact should be arrested, coach player or umpire.
MTR

by Iluvblue » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:59 pm

AGREE...I reported it to the people that need to know this stuff, but doubt anything will happen. Had it been me that initiated the contact with him, I wouldnt be coaching this Fall.... maybe next year either.
Iluvblue

by MTR » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Iluvblue wrote:AGREE...I reported it to the people that need to know this stuff, but doubt anything will happen. Had it been me that initiated the contact with him, I wouldnt be coaching this Fall.... maybe next year either.

Wouldn't have to tell the "people that need to know", they could read the police report. I carry a cell phone in my pocket solely for the purpose of calling police anytime necessary. And the first thing I do is insure my signature on the complaint.

And this "heat of the game" bull$hit is just that. You are an adult, behave like an adult, no excuses.
MTR

by wadeintothem » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:24 am

What rule set? Lotsa umps right now are working where rules, rule books, clinics and training, not to mention supervision and structure, has been ceded to save the tourney a $1 a game.

I had a coach this weekend walking the belligerent line on a banger at 1 that was out every day at every real level of ball.. saying his runner was all the way past the bag in a bold faced lie. I know coaches do this for free, but a bold face lie and actually, even coming out on a call like that is completely unnecessary. WHy are we talking about a standard routine banger? I knew he was a lamer the second he called time and wanted to talk about that. Noob who needs to work on his game. He survived the game though.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Iluvblue » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:17 am

Wade,

i will agree with you that umps around here are working all sorts of rule books. that being said, wouldnt it have been better for this ump to not start yelling at me as soon as I got back to the dugout that my pitcher needs to be removed??/ Dont you think there would have been a better way? then for him to make a smart arse comment about " i dont know what rule book you are using."

It is just ridiculous IMO for umps to act like that ..... especially when they are wrong and they are the ones tasked with knowing the rules.
Iluvblue

by wadeintothem » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:34 am

I wouldnt comment directly on whatever group of umpires this guy came from, but i would agree in general with you and in fact agree an umpire should not act like that, even if they are correct in the rules. ... which i dunno who is right or wrong in your case. Are there any rules in that tourney? :twisted:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner