Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Catcher Obstruction call

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:25 pm

anonlooker wrote:I've never seen OBS called on a catcher.
Last time it should have been but wasn't, karma took over and the next 7 batters had clean hits. :)

Not only have I seen it, but have called it a few times. Then again, if you ski, I bet you have never fallen, either. :D
MTR

by anonlooker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:32 pm

MTR wrote:
Last time it should have been but wasn't, karma took over and the next 7 batters had clean hits. :)

Not only have I seen it, but have called it a few times. Then again, if you ski, I bet you have never fallen, either. :D

I'm afraid you'd lose that bet, many time over, often in spectacular fashion. :lol:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by okla21fan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:33 pm

anonlooker wrote:
MTR wrote:

I'm afraid you'd lose that bet, many time over, often in spectacular fashion. :lol:

Just a fyi, I called catcher's obstruction in a late evening loser's bracket game in Midland last Friday night (you prob know what tournament that was) :roll:

Calling OBS is not position specific.
okla21fan

by Sam » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:55 pm

OBS calls on F2 at home plate are like phone numbers written in lipstick on a bar napkin.....rarely called.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Sam wrote:OBS calls on F2 at home plate are like phone numbers written in lipstick on a bar napkin.....rarely called.

So the umpires in your area must really bad or just don't care. That's sad.
MTR

by Sam » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:50 am

MTR wrote:
Sam wrote:OBS calls on F2 at home plate are like phone numbers written in lipstick on a bar napkin.....rarely called.

I think its a combination of factors.

1) Runners don't alter their path very much.
2) Umpires seem to show some deference to F2.

Its really the responsibility of the runner to demonstrate that she has been impeded. We don't coach that very well and then we are upset when we don't get the call. Go figure.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:02 am

Sam wrote:
MTR wrote:

I think its a combination of factors.

1) Runners don't alter their path very much.
2) Umpires seem to show some deference to F2.

Its really the responsibility of the runner to demonstrate that she has been impeded. We don't coach that very well and then we are upset when we don't get the call. Go figure.

Actually, it is not the runner's responsibility to do anything than run the bases.

Shame on the umpire who takes it upon themself to determine what rules should or should not be applied. This is a real, REAL simple rule and there is no excuse for any trained, even a weakly trained, umpire to not recognize OBS.
MTR

by AlwaysImprove » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:15 pm

I agree. The lack misapplication of OBS has screwed up more games, created more issues and caused more coach ejections than any other call in the game.

Why do you think umpires often freeze up on this call? What can be done to improve this situation?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:24 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:I agree. The lack misapplication of OBS has screwed up more games, created more issues and caused more coach ejections than any other call in the game.

Why do you think umpires often freeze up on this call? What can be done to improve this situation?

Second easiest rule and call in the book. Maybe the first, but there is nothing to think about. You see it, you call it and then apply it necessary at the end of the play.

An umpire who cannot act on this rule should find something else to do.
MTR

by tcannizzo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Mike you always have the same comment regarding OBS when ever the topic comes up. That it is one of the easiest calls and any umpire should be able to get it right.
That doesn't change the fact that the majority of people involved feel it is one of the worst handled calls in the game.
Obviously there is a disconnect going on and it is a issue that needs to be addressed.
I will state again that you rarely get that call in a game at the plate. Are all the coaches and players looking for something that isn't there? Is it being interpreted incorrectly on the coach/player end of the game, or perhaps are the umpires not operating in the manner you say they are being instructed?

I also call it when it occurs, at any base, including home plate. Additionally, I categorize this as "easy to call" and agree that "any umpire worth his/her salt should be able to get it right". In fact, I called it today in a showcase, which is typically "loosey-goosey" due to the intent of showcase.

Please be specific what you are writing about. Are you saying that a defender such as F2 at HP does not have possession(control) of the ball and "impedes" R who is subsequently retired as a result of the impediment and OBS is not called?

Many times OBS can occur with no difference in the outcome of the play; IOW OBS occurs, but R is Safe.

Also, OBS is not "called". The signal is "Delayed Dead Ball", where umpire extends left arm with fist. (I think you know this but), the result of OBS is that R cannot be called Out between the two bases where OBS occurred; and at the moment of OBS, umpire determines what base R would have reached had OBS not occurred. And that base should be awarded, even if R did not make an attempt to reach that base.

I am sure you have seen several situations that cause you to write what you did, but it would be better if you can provide specific details in those play(s) so that you can get a specific answer to what is on your mind.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner