Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

MLB experiment - Atlantic League rule changes - thoughts?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 am

Bases being 18" instead instead of 15, thus shortening the distance in between them. Moving the pitching rubber back to 62'2" ... Infield shifts restricted so that 2 infield defensive players must be on either side of 2nd base and off the grass ... TrackMan to call balls and strikes ?

Thoughts ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Battle » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:45 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Bases being 18" instead instead of 15, thus shortening the distance in between them. Moving the pitching rubber back to 62'2" ... Infield shifts restricted so that 2 infield defensive players must be on either side of 2nd base and off the grass ... TrackMan to call balls and strikes ?

Thoughts ?

Other than TrackMan, I don't understand the rewards.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Battle wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Bases being 18" instead instead of 15, thus shortening the distance in between them. Moving the pitching rubber back to 62'2" ... Infield shifts restricted so that 2 infield defensive players must be on either side of 2nd base and off the grass ... TrackMan to call balls and strikes ?

Thoughts ?

Other than TrackMan, I don't understand the rewards.

TracMan can't tell the difference between a bounced pitch or one that doesn't bounce passing through the strike zone as I understand it ... So, umpires will still be behind the plate.

I suppose the extra distance for the rubber is supposed to get more balls put into play, advantage offense ... I don't know that 3" closer or larger size for the bases will make much of a difference ... The infield defensive shift restrictions seem to be advantage offense also .... So, more offense makes the majority of fans happier ... I guess ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Crabby_Bob » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Thoughts ?

Those people have lost their minds.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:42 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:Thoughts ?

Those people have lost their minds.

LMAO,.. That's a thought .... My first question was "are they making home plate 18" also ?" ... But no, just the 3 field bases.
GIMNEPIWO

by Crabby_Bob » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:33 am

FLEURNOIR4 wrote: Infield shifts restricted so that 2 infield defensive players must be on either side of 2nd base and off the grass ... TrackMan to call balls and strikes ?

Why? Hit it where they ain't.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

Return to The Umpire Corner